There are 173 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

FoxSports.com Mock Draft, By Peter Schrager - Version 5.0

from April 9

# 13- CB Joe Haden- Florida

Quote:

The Niners have had a bit of a tumultuous offseason, highlighted by the mutual parting of ways with GM Scot McCloughan. Mike Singletary’s been a beast on the scouting trail, picking up for McCloughan alongside Niners personnel man Trent Baalke, and checking out players first-hand. A defensive star in his day, Singletary’s got to be impressed with Joe Haden. Haden stole the show from teammates Tim Tebow, Carlos Dunlap and Brandon Spikes during Florida’s March 17 Pro Day and could contribute right away for San Francisco. The top-rated cornerback on my board, Haden is drafted by the 49ers to address their primary needs in the secondary.

# 17- OT/OG Mike Iupati- Idaho

Quote:
The 49ers have earmarked at least one of their first-round draft picks on improving the O-Line. Iupati’s an intriguing prospect and certainly a possibility at No. 17. Though he played guard â€" and not tackle â€" at Idaho, scouts see him as more than capable of anchoring either side of the line at an OT spot. Mike Solari, an ex-Seahawks offensive line coach, joins the San Fran staff and can work with Iupati. Joe Staley’s going to start at one tackle spot in San Francisco. I’ve been saying this for weeks and I’m still very confident that Iupati â€" after a few months of on-the-job-training â€" can man the other one. If not, he’ll work the interior at guard. Either way, it’s a can’t-lose for the 49ers at No. 17. They need upgrades at both tackle and guard.

# 49- RB Toby Gerhart- Stanford

# 79- OG/C Mike Johnson- Alabama

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 9, 2010 at 22:58:33 ]
I don't mind taking Iupati, but can he really play tackle?
Originally posted by teeohh:

Thats the million dollar question.
Originally posted by teeohh:

According to Don Banks of SI.com, he says as a comment in his latest mock, that the 49ers believe that Mike Iupati can play RT. I then asked Matt Maiocco about it. He didn't agree or disagree, but did say that it might be due to a change in opinion now that Trent Baalke is the 49ers "trigger man."

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 9, 2010 at 23:10:55 ]
I don't see any need for Gerhart.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Schulzy:

I think I'm one of the few guys that would love to have a top notch fullback like Gerhart would be. I really think it would open up the offense.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Walsh:

I think I'm one of the few guys that would love to have a top notch fullback like Gerhart would be. I really think it would open up the offense.

Gerhart is a running back and proved he has the speed to do so at the combine.
Don't like that mock
I don't mind Iupati...if for some reason he can't play at right tackle (and I really can't think of why that might be the case), then put him at RG and shift Chilo over to RT.

I think Rachal has great potential at RT and I'd like to see the 49ers give him a good look there.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Don't like that mock
Originally posted by 23zack80:

So couldn't it help us to have a fullback that could block(if he can) as well as be a running or recieving threat?
Don't like Gerhert pick. If we are going to draft a RB that high he better be a return man too.
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Originally posted by 23zack80:

So couldn't it help us to have a fullback that could block(if he can) as well as be a running or recieving threat?

Gerhart has no idea how to be a lead blocker in the hole for Gore. He is not a Fullback. He is a straight ahead running back with no wiggle at all. BTW, besides Norris, we signed Jehuu Caulcrick 6' 250 lbs from MSU in 2008 off of Tampa Bays practice squad.
I really like the mock but would prefer McLuster at #49.
Iupati is a great pick but as a guard not as a tackle. We need a guard as well so great but let's take one of the second tranch tackles in the second.