There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

No OL in Rd1

Nobody wants a strong OL more than I do. I would have loved to draft both Trent Williams at 13 and Mike Iupati at 17. Unfortunately, I just dont think we are good enough to gamble and reach on an OT at 13. The player we draft at 13 has to be a starter early in the season.

If the only OT left at 13 is Anthony Davis, I think we should think twice before drafting him. We are looking for a RT, and not a LT, so I think we can afford to draft a RT in Rd2.

I have been thinking more and more about the possibility of Ciron Black as RT. Some people project him at OG while some think he can play RT. He started 4 yrs at LT at LSU which means he is a very good lineman.

If it comes down to Anthony Davis, Dez Bryant, Haden, Spiller, or Thomas at 13, I would hope that we think about the possibility of taking Black in Rd2.

I think I prefer Haden, Iupati/Thomas, and Black over Haden, Davis, and ?

We absolutely need OL help. I think we need a RT and maybe even 2 OG. Having said that, I think a good RT can be found in Rd2, and I think Ciron Black could very possibly be that player.

We need a starting CB as much as we need a RT, so perhaps getting Haden (the unanimous number #1 CB in the draft) and Black in Rd2 is better than Anthony Davis (the #4 OT in the draft) and some other combination.
Originally posted by calbear:
Nobody wants a strong OL more than I do. I would have loved to draft both Trent Williams at 13 and Mike Iupati at 17. Unfortunately, I just dont think we are good enough to gamble and reach on an OT at 13. The player we draft at 13 has to be a starter early in the season.

If the only OT left at 13 is Anthony Davis, I think we should think twice before drafting him. We are looking for a RT, and not a LT, so I think we can afford to draft a RT in Rd2.

I have been thinking more and more about the possibility of Ciron Black as RT. Some people project him at OG while some think he can play RT. He started 4 yrs at LT at LSU which means he is a very good lineman.

If it comes down to Anthony Davis, Dez Bryant, Haden, Spiller, or Thomas at 13, I would hope that we think about the possibility of taking Black in Rd2.

We absolutely need OL help. I think we need a RT and maybe even 2 OG. Having said that, I think a good RT can be found in Rd2, and I think Ciron Black could very possibly be that player.

We need a starting CB as much as we need a RT, so perhaps getting Haden (the unanimous number #1 CB in the draft) and Black in Rd2 is better than Anthony Davis (the #4 OT in the draft) and some other combination.

I agree. Im not a fan of Davis at all and when it comes to our 2nd round pick, just do what Wesley Snipes does...always bet on Black!
ciron black isnt a 2nd rounder, u can get him in the third i believe, but your point has some merit to it, take a 2nd round tackle get him on the cheap for a couple years and extend him if he preforms well enough as opposed to paying a rookie tackle top coin right off the bat
Ciron Black is a 3rd or 4th round pick. Also Singletary wants a OT that can play both Tackle positions
Originally posted by eastbay49er:
Ciron Black is a 3rd or 4th round pick. Also Singletary wants a OT that can play both Tackle positions

We already signed our guy who can play both tackle positions and his name is Barry Sims.

Sims is more than adequate and we shouldn't be so quick to panic and go OT crazy.

Boone might prove to be a player also, who knows.

Black in the 3rd would be an excellent pick IMO.

Ciron Black is 3rd or 4th rounder.. He is very slow footed, really slow, and will likely have to switch to guard. I would much rather Asomoah, Jerry, Saffold in the 2nd.
For day 1 and day 2 repeat after me: BPA, BPA, BPA,

After that it gets a little weird, but in the early going focus on talent. My prediction: we'll get our right tackle, a defensive back, and a kick returner by the end of the 3rd round.

[ Edited by Yetiman on Apr 9, 2010 at 19:47:08 ]
Originally posted by Yetiman:

After that it gets a little wierd, but in the early going focus on talent. My prediction: we'll get our right tackle, a defensive back, and a kick returner by the end of the 3rd round.

Exactly.

BPA= T. Williams, Haden, Spiller, E. Thomas, Graham, K. Wilson

Reach and or Bust= A. Davis, Brown, Campbell

LET'S GO!!!!!!!!
  • LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
the only people worth picking at 13 are Spiller,Haden or Trent williams....

thats it..no one else realistically by the time its our turn to pick is worth the 13th pick..davis can be had at 17 if hes still availble at 13,,..in fact the thought of picking davis over haden and spiller is ridiculous...if was pass on haden or spiller with the 13 pick for davis...like i said before F*** our draft
LOL, yeah I agree... when you come off a year of having the worst o-line in the entire NFL you MUST spend your high-priority picks on 3rd priority needs!

Oh and Haden sucks, mediocre/slow player looking good on a dominating 'college' defense. -This dude would get swatted down/punk'd by beefy NFL receivers.

After that it gets a little weird, but in the early going focus on talent. My prediction: we'll get our right tackle, a defensive back, and a kick returner by the end of the 3rd round.

BPA is not an absolute. It is a relative thing. To ignore need completely would result in an unbalanced team. Hypothetically, if the BPA, in your view, is a tight end, or more likely a quarterback, each time we pick in the first three rounds,
do we draft four quarterbacks?

It isn't BPA. It is best player (for you) available. Of course, if there is a complete showstopper available with one of your picks, you may well take him. But you simply cannot disregard your needs every round.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

Ciron Black is 3rd or 4th rounder.. He is very slow footed, really slow, and will likely have to switch to guard. I would much rather Asomoah, Jerry, Saffold in the 2nd.

I think if the top three are gone we should trade up in round 2 for Saffold. I say top three because I don't even think Anthoney Davis should be considered. I also think we need to take Black's scouting report with a grain of salt. It may be proven to be true, but if I'm not mistaken the same thing was said about Loadholdt last year and he seemed to play at a relativly high level.
*I for one don't think we NEED to draft a Tackle in the first round but we do have to address the offensive line. Were not looking for someone to protect the blind side unless Staley goes down. We need someone to anchor the right side, and flip over to the left in the event of a Staley injury, but I don't believe we should necessarily use one of our first round picks. Especially if Okung, Bulaga, T. Williams, and Davis are gone although I'm not completely sold on Davis and Im not a fan of Cambell as I feel were not in a position to take a project player in the first.

* Some say Guard Mike Iupati is capable of playing tackle, and I would prefer to trade back into the low to mid 20's to select him if we were to. I just feel that 17 is a little to high for a guard, especially if there is a player that slides and someone wants to trade up for them. Hes the best guard in the draft and if he could become a Steve Hutchinson calibur player he's worth taking a chance on at 17 and maybe even 13, although that is high for a guard and I believe that there should be better prospects available at 13. Overall, I hope we wait until later to draft a guard.

I agree and also think there will be some value at RT available with our 49th pick at least. The RT's id be happy drafting in the 2nd - 4th round would be.....(No particular order)

*Potential RT Solutions*Height Weight 40 Dash
Rodger Saffold Indiana 6-4⅝ 316 5.20
Vladimir Ducasse Massachusetts 6-4⅜ 332 5.27
Charles Brown Southern Cal 6-5⅜ 303 5.20
Sam Young Notre Dame 6-7½ 314 5.33
Selvish Capers West Virginia 6-4⅝ 308 5.14
Ciron Black LSU 6-4 327 5.42
Lee Ziemba Auburn 6-7¼ 306
Trinton Sturdivant Georgia 6-5⅜ 308

For more info and scouting reports on these guys and a total of 39 offensive tackles eligible for the draft check out this draft resource I use often
http://walterfootball.com/draft2010OT.php

Young and Black are my favorites from the group mentioned above because they've anchored the blind side and started for their respective teams the last 3 years and have been healthy and consistent. Not only that they are capable of being moved inside to Guard and that added flexibility adds value and depth to our team.

Combine that with a slimmed down Boone (whom I hope will wow us this year btw but trying not to get hopes up) and it looks like we've got some young and healthy competition on our line. All Im saying is we don't HAVE to draft OT in the first round, but if the BPA is an OT and we cant trade back pull the trigger! We have options. Can Boone play guard maybe?

I have a feeling someone is going to fall right into our laps at 13 and its not going to be a top tackle and I believe this will occur due to a run on OL in the top 10. I am very excited having 3 of the first 49 picks. This draft could put us over the hump.

Who is your favorite 2-4th round prospect in the draft? If you could land our future RT in the 2nd, who would u bet your lovers life on?
Originally posted by English:

BPA is not an absolute. It is a relative thing. To ignore need completely would result in an unbalanced team. Hypothetically, if the BPA, in your view, is a tight end, or more likely a quarterback, each time we pick in the first three rounds,
do we draft four quarterbacks?

It isn't BPA. It is best player (for you) available. Of course, if there is a complete showstopper available with one of your picks, you may well take him. But you simply cannot disregard your needs every round.

The art of drafting is knowing how other teams rate players. The key is drafting the BPA(FY) as late as possible through patience and/or trades. And not panicing and taking a Kentwan Balmer too early.