LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

Schulzy's first mock...what if top OT's are gone edition

So I'm in the process of doing a 3 round mock draft with a couple of friends and I got to do the 49ers (among a few other teams). While the whole 3 rounds are not completed yet, my 3 picks are finished. In this scenario, my 4 highest rated OTs are gone by 13.

13. RB CJ Spiller, Clemson
Gone by 13 notables: the top 4 OTs (Okung, Williams, Davis, Bulaga), Berry, Bryant, McClain
Still available after 13: Haden, D. Williams, Kindle

As you'll see in a minute, I agonized over both picks. The top 4 OTs being gone at this time really hurt my strategy, but I decided to go BPA and pick Spiller. The offense badly needs a home run threat on offense and somebody who can complement Gore. Spiller also solves a massive void in the return game.

17. OG Mike Iupati, Idaho
Gone by 17: D. Williams, Kindle, JPP
Still available after 17: Haden, Brown, Thomas, Graham, Campbell

I've been high on Iupati from day one. I did not get caught up in what the combine workouts said, and did not take much stock into the Senior bowl game. He is to me a shoe-in to be a pro bowler at the guard position and he also gives versatility to play OT if needed.

Leaving Haden on the board was tough, but at the expense of Iupati, no. The OL needs upgrades, badly. The really tough decision for me was Spiller or Haden, and went with Spiller. If I had the choice to do over, I may have done it the other way. If both are here with 13 and all 4 OTs are off the board I'd be ecstatic with either.

49. OT Vladimir Ducasse, Massachusetts
Gone by 49: Saffold, Allen, Gilyard, Price
Still available after 49: Robinson, Franks, Misi, Wootton

Adding Ducasse and Iupati I feel is a major pull for the 49ers. Ducasse is somewhat raw but coachable and a hardworker. Also is very athletic for his size. I feel I get good value here while finishing the renovations on the OL. I slot Iupati into his natural position of LG, where he will excel and move Ducasse to RT.

79. CB Jerome Murphy, South Florida
Gone by 79: McCluster, Norwood, Cook, Decker
Still available after 79: Cox, R. Jones, Jerry, Fox

Murphy fits the prototypical 49ers corner. Big, physical, a gamer. 49ers have had great success against big WRs recently (Fitz, Housh, Andre Johnson, Sims-Walker, Boldin, S. Rice) mainly because our CBs can matchup to their oppostion's physicality.

I passed on some good CBs in previous rounds because I felt that I would have good value on a CB in the 3rd and I was right. Murphy and Cox were still on the board - both fits for the 49ers scheme and loads of talent but with some character concerns. I'm confident Singletary and co can right that ship.

Comments, criticisms welcome. Take it easy on me though, it's my first mock on here.
there is a dilemma for this team with multiple holes to fill, we all agree we need secondary o-line and pash rush help. one of these needs will need to wait until round 2 or 3, the dilemma is which one is it? to me the question is what is the difference between the 4th and 5th OT's and the 6th and 7th OT's, if its not a huge gap i say wait till round 2 and get the best player out there with our 2 first rounders
If all the first round tackles are gone, Niners might want to consider trading down to the early 20s and stock up on some 2-3 rounders.
Originally posted by adrenaline:
If all the first round tackles are gone, Niners might want to consider trading down to the early 20s and stock up on some 2-3 rounders.

I agree by trading down and drafting Brown from USC or even Pouncey from Florida later in the round. Also, Kyle Wilson would be a great asset to this team in my opinion.
i remember houston 2 yrs ago taking duane brown at about 24 cus there was a run on tackles, but he wasnt rated as a first rounder and to be honest i dont know how well he has played but i dont want to see the niners do something similar i am all about the best player available cus if it back fires u will be raked over the coals for years to come
If we take CJ Spiller while Joe Haden is on the board I'm going to flip out.
Originally posted by crabman82:
i remember houston 2 yrs ago taking duane brown at about 24 cus there was a run on tackles, but he wasnt rated as a first rounder and to be honest i dont know how well he has played but i dont want to see the niners do something similar i am all about the best player available cus if it back fires u will be raked over the coals for years to come

Exactly what I've been saying, and exactly what I'm hoping won't take place.

But I have a feeling the top OT's will be long gone by the time we pick and all the "draft two OL in the first" geniuses can STFU!!

Originally posted by genus49:

There is no way we pass up Haden to get Spiller. Period.

Even if Davis is still on the board, both Haden and Spiller is rated higher and either would be the selection.

Just say NO to reaching for an OT!!
I like your mock. I really want to get Jerome Murphy in the 3rd round. He is a physical corner who will fit rite in on the 49ers defense.
I think Pouncey is and is going to be much better than Iupati. Just my opinion.

Id much rather have Graham or Thomas at 17 than Mike Iupati.

Originally posted by BigBug415:

Even if Davis is still on the board, both Haden and Spiller is rated higher and either would be the selection.

No reaching for an OT in this mock, although if you think we are reaching for Iupati I would have to disagree.

I happen to believe that Iupati is a pretty good bet to be a future Pro Bowler, and while #17 may be a spot that's not normally used to take a guard, if you're almost guaranteed a quality player out of it, why not?

Remember, many 49ers fans hated the idea of using a 6th overall pick to take a TE, but as long as the player you pick is good (as is the case with Davis) does it really matter?
I love it... spiller gives us a game breaker, Iupati will upgrade our interior O line from day 1, Ducasse and Murphy both will be contributors...just not right away
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by BigBug415:

No reaching for an OT in this mock, although if you think we are reaching for Iupati I would have to disagree.

I happen to believe that Iupati is a pretty good bet to be a future Pro Bowler, and while #17 may be a spot that's not normally used to take a guard, if you're almost guaranteed a quality player out of it, why not?

Remember, many 49ers fans hated the idea of using a 6th overall pick to take a TE, but as long as the player you pick is good (as is the case with Davis) does it really matter?

I agree.

And I actually do like Iupati and think he is going to be a player. But I'm not too sure that Singletary and Co. are as down on Baas and Rachal as some on this site. And we still may sign Chester Pitts so we'll see.
Share 49ersWebzone