LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

mayock says if clausen is at 17, we take him

• cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Where is the love for Nate Davis?
Originally posted by crimsonpanthers:
this is probably very random, but since I am a new member and cant start a thread or new topic...yeah. I am a Panthers fan and we are doing a mock draft thing where everybody gets a team. I have the 49ers. It isnt my pick yet, but I need advice on who I should draft. Clausen and Bradford are gone. I know you guys need an OT, FS, and a CB. please post your opinions on what I should do. here is the link if it is ok.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/the-nfl-draft/34324-xxxxxnormalxxxxx-mock-draft-picks-thread.html

FS is not a need, its more that our saftey spots are interchangeable so if for example Eric Berry was on the board we could take him and move our current Free Safety Dashon Goldson over.

With that said Right Tackle is by far our biggest need. After that there is no clear consensus, some say return man, some say an interior lineman, some say Defense.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Our offensive line has been a clusterf**k ever since Erickson/Donahue led this team to 2-14 before Nolan.

Einstein put it best: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

If our front office had the audacity to draft another first round QB without FULLY addressing our offensive line problems, then they are complete idiots.

If, and only if, the 49ers have signed (verbally until he's ready to pass a physical) Chester Pitts and acquired Jared Gaither - or drafted Trent Williams/Anthony Davis - then I can see this as a feasible move to snag Clausen.

QB: Smith/Clausen*/Davis

LT: Gaither/Sims
LG: Pitts/Baas
OC: Heitmann/Wragge
RG: Rachal/Snyder
RT: Staley/Boone

I would be happy with an offensive line like that to protect both QB assets. But if not? Then we are repeating history here.
After his pro day I don't see Clausen slipping to 17. But if he does, I wouldn't mind trading the 17th slot to St. Louis/Cleveland/Seattle/Buffalo, etc. for their 2nd and next year's 1st.

So, we may internally not think it necessary to draft Clausen, but to the outside world we should appear very interested in the dude, just so that teams that desperately want the guy take the bait and trade up.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
this is probably very random, but since I am a new member and cant start a thread or new topic...yeah. I am a Panthers fan and we are doing a mock draft thing where everybody gets a team. I have the 49ers. It isnt my pick yet, but I need advice on who I should draft. Clausen and Bradford are gone. I know you guys need an OT, FS, and a CB. please post your opinions on what I should do. here is the link if it is ok.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/the-nfl-draft/34324-xxxxxnormalxxxxx-mock-draft-picks-thread.html

FS is not a need, its more that our saftey spots are interchangeable so if for example Eric Berry was on the board we could take him and move our current Free Safety Dashon Goldson over.

With that said Right Tackle is by far our biggest need. After that there is no clear consensus, some say return man, some say an interior lineman, some say Defense.

Guard! Please. We can nab a return man later in the draft and our needs on D are for depth or the future. Right now we need Baas' replacement.
Again, I'd still take Clausen if available at #17. There's no reason NOT to have a contingency plan. Smith hasn't given us a reason to 'believe.' Having two good QBs is never a bad problem.
With our 3 picks in the 1st two rounds we have to, IMO, come out with a starting RT, a Guard who can challenge for time this year with Rachal and a complimentary back/possible eventual Gore replacement who can return kicks and punts.

If the niners do that I will be happy.
Sounds like San Diego all over again....I remember when they had Brees for 4 years, after his 3rd or 4th year he had a horrible year...then they drafted Rivers. Then Brees figured it out and hasnt stopped balling, while Rivers watched and eventually turned into a pro bowler himself.

Nothing wrong with that IMO. But lets not kid ourselves,, Clausen is too good that he wont get past Buffalo.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by English:
I think they would take him 13 before he even gets to 17. I don't see why folks are so against it. Maybe I missed the part where the niners have a proven stable qb on the roster.

1) Other needs

2) Starting qb in place. Development qb in place. Backup qb may in in place. Draft pick goes where?

3) see (1). O line. No develoment on O line, no qb.

4) 2 first round picks. 2 starters. That would be good.

You know this. You know we won't take him in the first. It just wouldn't make sense this year.

1 i agree

2 a starting qb on the last year of his contract that has been in the league 6 years and still is a big question mark. Sorry not on the Nate Davis will be a starter bandwagon cut him

3 how does drafting him stop the team from helping the o line? If they take him at 17 i would assume at 13 they took a o lineman. Or maybe at 17 they take one. so the same would be said if they drafted Spiller or Bryant

4 I agree with that also I'm just saying if they take Clausen i won't be upset and i don't see why anybody should be. Once again it's not like this team has a proven stable quarterback on the roster. That's like having a nice car with a transmission that slips. i have no clue what's gonna happen with Smith this year so I wouldn't be upset about a insurance policy for the future. If Smith plays as if he is the future then trade him. I don't see Carr or Davis as the future. Now some folks see Davis as the future so I can see why this really would make no sense to them.

We aren't arguing. I don't see Carr or Davis as strong contenders for the future either. But I think we will give Smith the year to prove himself, and we have so many other holes. Is Clausen good enough to pass.on a tackle, a safety or a pass rusher? Dunno. Don't think the question will arise but what do I know?

Have a great Friday evening

ps bet we don't take him!

I don't think they would take him either. and smith should get the year to prove what he has.
  • crimsonpanthers
  • Info N/A

I just made the 1st pick(#13). Okung, Williams, Bulaga were all gone. Raiders didnt take Campbell so he is on the board still, Iupati is still there. But, I decided to go BPA between OL and DB, and I selected Earl Thomas to put at FS and move Goldson over to SS. what do you think?

• fly15
  • Veteran
I think they would take him 13 before he even gets to 17. I don't see why folks are so against it. Maybe I missed the part where the niners have a proven stable qb on the roster.

We dont need Clausen, he's good but Nate Davis is better...
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

I just made the 1st pick(#13). Okung, Williams, Bulaga were all gone. Raiders didnt take Campbell so he is on the board still, Iupati is still there. But, I decided to go BPA between OL and DB, and I selected Earl Thomas to put at FS and move Goldson over to SS. what do you think?

It depends on who was available. The 49ers probably have Anthony Davis and Charles Brown rated higher than Bruce Campbell. If you can trade I would recommend trading back from 17 to the end of the first or early second to get a tackle or taking BPA at 17 and trading up into the early second to select a tackle.

I personally hope the 49ers don't use a mid first on a tackle, I hope they get a tackle at the end of the first or the beginning of the second round. Someone like Rodger Saffold would be a great pick.
I would rather trade down one or two spots if Clausen is there. There has to be a team who probably needs a QB or a QB to develop to start.
Originally posted by jreff22:

If Smith plays very well this year and looks like a long term answer then what? We have 2 QB's who will be expensive to carry while 1 actually plays?

Too many able quarterbacks isn't a bad thing... look at the Eagles when they drafted Kevin Kolb, Packers with Aaron Rodgers, and Falcons who had Matt Schaub. All of those players would be worth more than a first round pick, and teams are willing to trade for them. At least this way we have a longterm franchise worthy prospect at QB in the likely chance that Smith continues to unimpress. Nate Davis has potential, but he fell to the fifth round for a reason. If Davis shows growth and Alex improves we can cut David Carr.

This may be the last year we have a pick high enough to grab a franchise qb in a long time. If we think Claussen can be that guy, we'd be foolish not to. This way he could develop on the bench, a luxury Smith was never afforded.
  • crimsonpanthers
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 23zack80:

It depends on who was available. The 49ers probably have Anthony Davis and Charles Brown rated higher than Bruce Campbell. If you can trade I would recommend trading back from 17 to the end of the first or early second to get a tackle or taking BPA at 17 and trading up into the early second to select a tackle.

I personally hope the 49ers don't use a mid first on a tackle, I hope they get a tackle at the end of the first or the beginning of the second round. Someone like Rodger Saffold would be a great pick.

no one wanted to move up when pick #17 came around, so again, I went BPA on OL. not Campbell, Brown, Saffold, or Davis. Mike Iupati who played Guard as well as Tackle at Idaho was my pick.
Share 49ersWebzone