LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

mayock says if clausen is at 17, we take him

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think they would take him 13 before he even gets to 17. I don't see why folks are so against it. Maybe I missed the part where the niners have a proven stable qb on the roster.

1) Other needs

2) Starting qb in place. Development qb in place. Backup qb may in in place. Draft pick goes where?

3) see (1). O line. No develoment on O line, no qb.

4) 2 first round picks. 2 starters. That would be good.

You know this. You know we won't take him in the first. It just wouldn't make sense this year.

This and how many times where we linked to McNabb? Don't think we where ever looking at him.
I really don't get the Clausen hate. I watched almost all of his games this year and he always looked good. Tough, fiery and does his part with the game on the line. To be totally honest, his style of play is reminiscent of Garcia, imo. I'm sure you've seen the highlights, but check it out...

Clausen

Garcia

I mean, I like Alex and all but I wouldn't bank on him making it. Maybe he does... but I'm not counting on it. That's all I'm saying. A potential franchise QB drops, we pick him up... or, potentially have to pay alot more for Locker or Mallett the following year.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think they would take him 13 before he even gets to 17. I don't see why folks are so against it. Maybe I missed the part where the niners have a proven stable qb on the roster.

If Smith plays very well this year and looks like a long term answer then what? We have 2 QB's who will be expensive to carry while 1 actually plays?

If Smith plays very well then we can stop worrying and just sit back and enjoy the ride. We'll figure out what to do with an extra QB. The problem hasn't been Smith playing well however. The issue has been with him sucking.
  • Veteran
Bill Walsh said, you can never have enough good qbs, considering that we don't have one, I'll take at 17.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If he's there at #17 I might do it. Clausen has never moved my needle, but maybe he can change some minds.
Overrated QB in poor QB draft = s**tty value pick at 13 or 17.
If Clausen is still around after Buffalo and Jacksonville pass on him, we gotta GO FOR IT! Seriously, if we're in 'reach' mode by then (and if most of the blue chip tackles are gone) we'd be stupid to pass up on him.

And if it came down between Haden or Clausen on draft day and our franchise went after Haden I'd seriously vomit up my own a*****e.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Wow, All that after the 49ers took a a loser, not a winner in 2005 in a weak QB draft class and all the Smith supporters keep chiming in "Nobody wanted to trade the pick" so we had to etc. Smith has already set this franchise back 5 years and he is going to help us waste another good year by the defense again this year.

Clausen looks like a much better prospect than Smith. So many people say Clausen is a bad idea all the while knowing we have not one proven QB on our roster right now. Just a bunch of hopes and dreams and the thought that maybe he will put it together this year". Sometimes I wonder if the fans want the team to win or if they just want to be Alex's bff.
Just watched Path to the Draft and their segments on Clausen at his pro day.

Surprising (to me)results.

The guy throws the ball better than Bradford, and got uniformly high marks from Mayock, Casserly, et al. He already knows the pro style system, had more comeback wins in his career than Bradford.

All that stuff about his "leadership" and "intangibles" appears to be alot of mud somebody was slinging onto a wall in hopes it would stick. He looks and acts like the real deal.

If he falls, somehow, to #13, the Niners would be foolish not to consider taking him.

At the very least he's gonna get picked in top ten, and push someone else down the board (hopefully an OT).
Hell yeah I'd draft him. I'm not putting any faith in Alex. Why should I? We should have a contingency plan in place. IF Smith becomes the long term solution, then great. We have 2 QBs.

Thing is, I don't see it happening with the addition of the amazing David Carr.

Originally posted by oldninerdude:

The guy throws the ball better than Bradford, and got uniformly high marks from Mayock, Casserly, et al. He already knows the pro style system, had more comeback wins in his career than Bradford.

All that stuff about his "leadership" and "intangibles" appears to be alot of mud somebody was slinging onto a wall in hopes it would stick. He looks and acts like the real deal.

If he falls, somehow, to #13, the Niners would be foolish not to consider taking him.

At the very least he's gonna get picked in top ten, and push someone else down the board (hopefully an OT).

didnt clausen get punched in the face by a ND fan? some leader
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

didnt clausen get punched in the face by a ND fan? some leader

No idea.

Not sure who you're criticizing. The ND fan who punched him?

Wouldn't be the first time a frustrated fan did something really, really stupid. Not sure how that reflects on Clausen or his leadership abilities.

Hard to decide about him without more facts. Was Clausen coming to the defense of one of his teammates or coaches? If so, it could be an excellent example of leadership. IMHO.

I'd like to know more, rather than condemning somebody based on a rumor or gossip--both of which are known to be prevalent this time of year regarding draft prospects.

Mayock, et al., on NFL Network made much of the fact that Clausen had four of this teammates show up at his pro day to catch passes for him, indicating that, if he had some problems with his own teammates, they wouldn't have been there for him. That seems to make sense, to me.
We might do that and it might not be a bad idea.
  • crimsonpanthers
  • Info N/A
this is probably very random, but since I am a new member and cant start a thread or new topic...yeah. I am a Panthers fan and we are doing a mock draft thing where everybody gets a team. I have the 49ers. It isnt my pick yet, but I need advice on who I should draft. Clausen and Bradford are gone. I know you guys need an OT, FS, and a CB. please post your opinions on what I should do. here is the link if it is ok.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/the-nfl-draft/34324-xxxxxnormalxxxxx-mock-draft-picks-thread.html
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Share 49ersWebzone