There are 95 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

National Football Post comparison Anthony Davis vs Charles Brown

Originally posted by mayo63:
So do we play Brown at LT or RT?

He played both, his senior year at LT because he was by far the best tackle on the team.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Brown's a good fit for a team needing a zone blocking LT.

I don't think that's the tackle we're looking for. We already struggle at opening holes for Gore I don't think we need another tackle who can't get a push in the run game.

Brown is a good fit for any team needing a high quality, technically superior, football player that is versatile and can play tackle, on either side of the line. The idea that he "can't get push" is asinine. Does he have room to improve there? Yep. He's going into his rookie season. Orlando Pace and Michael Oher could have improved at that, and every, part of their games going into their rookie seasons as well.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,082
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Brown's a good fit for a team needing a zone blocking LT.

I don't think that's the tackle we're looking for. We already struggle at opening holes for Gore I don't think we need another tackle who can't get a push in the run game.

Brown is a good fit for any team needing a high quality, technically superior, football player that is versatile and can play tackle, on either side of the line. The idea that he "can't get push" is asinine. Does he have room to improve there? Yep. He's going into his rookie season. Orlando Pace and Michael Oher could have improved at that, and every, part of their games going into their rookie seasons as well.

Brown needs to just hit the protein shakes and weight room, add a couple of pounds of muscle and he should be fine run blocking on the right side or left.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 9, 2010 at 11:40:49 ]
wouldn't be mad with brown at all. he's technically sound and his biggest knock is strenth. we just had one RT stack 40lbs of muscle in one off-season and brown would be working side by side with the guy. im sure he would see the example that has been set and could follow. sounds like he has the drive to do so, then he's a complete tackle with the mature attitude. . . . . .im not yelling TAKE BROWN, TAKE BROWN. . . . . im just saying
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Brown's a good fit for a team needing a zone blocking LT.

I don't think that's the tackle we're looking for. We already struggle at opening holes for Gore I don't think we need another tackle who can't get a push in the run game.

Brown is a good fit for any team needing a high quality, technically superior, football player that is versatile and can play tackle, on either side of the line. The idea that he "can't get push" is asinine. Does he have room to improve there? Yep. He's going into his rookie season. Orlando Pace and Michael Oher could have improved at that, and every, part of their games going into their rookie seasons as well.

Brown needs to just add a couple of pounds of muscle and he should be fine run blocking on the right side or left. Hit the protein shakes and wieght room.

He said he only ate once a day at SC because he had no $$$. Since becoming "pro" (hiring an agent) he's gained almost 20 lbs and I'm sure he will put on more quality weight as time goes on. 310-315 is more than enough weight for a tackle, on either side, if he has great instincts and technique.
Originally posted by 209niner:
wouldn't be mad with brown at all. he's technically sound and his biggest knock is strenth. we just had one RT stack 40lbs of muscle in one off-season and brown would be working side by side with the guy. im sure he would see the example that has been set and could follow. sounds like he has the drive to do so, then he's a complete tackle with the mature attitude. . . . . .im not yelling TAKE BROWN, TAKE BROWN. . . . . im just saying

You talking about Boone?

Not to be too picky, but he lost 40 lbs over last season, and put on 25 lbs of muscle this off season.

Different numbers, but your point remains the same: Brown could see the example Boone has set and follow it, hopefully with similar results. Good point.
Man f**k all these weak a$$ Offensive Tackles!!!

We have a GARBAGE QB folks and all the linemen and recievers in the world aren't gonna make a difference.

We have a slow a$$ old secondary and need outside rushers as well.
We can't live off last years success on Defense.

Clements- overpaid and slow
Lewis- slow and injuries
Goldson- solid
Spencer- solid
Brown- average
Smith- always injured/unproven
Taylor- unproven
Paymah- garbage
That other dude #20- garbage
Harris- why bring his old ass back
Bly- why bring his old ass back

We have maybe 3 quality players in the secondary.
And everones b!tch!n bout the O-line?
plus these tight end to tackle conversions seem to do all right. Joe Staley, Jason Peters, and Vernon Davis more than held is own on the line before we started utilizing him as a passing threat.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
Man f**k all these weak a$$ Offensive Tackles!!!

We have a GARBAGE QB folks and all the linemen and recievers in the world aren't gonna make a difference.

We have a slow a$$ old secondary and need outside rushers as well.
We can't live off last years success on Defense.

Clements- overpaid and slow
Lewis- slow and injuries
Goldson- solid
Spencer- solid
Brown- average
Smith- always injured/unproven
Taylor- unproven
Paymah- garbage
That other dude #20- garbage
Harris- why bring his old ass back
Bly- why bring his old ass back

We have maybe 3 quality players in the secondary.
And everones b!tch!n bout the O-line?

  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,082
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Brown's a good fit for a team needing a zone blocking LT.

I don't think that's the tackle we're looking for. We already struggle at opening holes for Gore I don't think we need another tackle who can't get a push in the run game.

Brown is a good fit for any team needing a high quality, technically superior, football player that is versatile and can play tackle, on either side of the line. The idea that he "can't get push" is asinine. Does he have room to improve there? Yep. He's going into his rookie season. Orlando Pace and Michael Oher could have improved at that, and every, part of their games going into their rookie seasons as well.

Brown needs to just add a couple of pounds of muscle and he should be fine run blocking on the right side or left. Hit the protein shakes and wieght room.

He said he only ate once a day at SC because he had no $$$. Since becoming "pro" (hiring an agent) he's gained almost 20 lbs and I'm sure he will put on more quality weight as time goes on. 310-315 is more than enough weight for a tackle, on either side, if he has great instincts and technique.

I agree.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 9, 2010 at 12:09:32 ]
Originally posted by 209niner:
wouldn't be mad with brown at all. he's technically sound and his biggest knock is strenth. we just had one RT stack 40lbs of muscle in one off-season and brown would be working side by side with the guy. im sure he would see the example that has been set and could follow. sounds like he has the drive to do so, then he's a complete tackle with the mature attitude. . . . . .im not yelling TAKE BROWN, TAKE BROWN. . . . . im just saying

But even with his arms being longer than Davis's, he put up the same number of reps (21) at 225lbs. So he is just as strong as Davis, atleast as far as upper body strength goes.
The things I love about Brown are his massive arms at 35 1/2" and hands at 11 3/8." There is a very clear correlation between arm length and production at the OT level, and while there are exceptions, they are few and far between.

Also, the more I look at Davis, it's obvious that he just seems to give up on plays, and when he gets his paycheck, I think he'll zone out. This is a 20 year old kid who will be getting millions guaranteed, I just don't trust him at this point. I think

Remember that Solari is a protoge of Mckittrick who loved athletic tackles, of which Brown seems to fit the bill. The most striking part of that article was the fact that the writer thought that Brown and Okung would go on to have similar careers. I think Okung has better potential at RT, but Brown has better potential at LT.
Sorry I'm still not a fan of Brown. I don't think he's a good fit at RT and he's not really any better than Staley.
Originally posted by genus49:
Sorry I'm still not a fan of Brown. I don't think he's a good fit at RT and he's not really any better than Staley.

We aren't looking to replace Staley. If he is as good as Staley, problem solved.
I prefer Brown, less downside in terms of already being a good technician and committed to football, and I think his upside is being overlooked because they say he has the frame to add more weight and hopefully power.