LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Top OT's Off the Board. What Now??

• Walsh
  • Veteran
More and more, it's looking like the top OT's will be off the board by the time we pick at 13. Do we use one of our first rounders and take a guy like Anthony Davis or Bruce Campbell, who had an awesome combine, or do we go BPA?

I predict the top OT's will be off the board by our pick at 13 and we will take one of these 2 players at 17 or possibly Iupati. The need for an OT is too great to ignore even if we think there are slightly better players.

Wondering what other people think...
Oking and Bulaga will be gone and I'm 90% sure Williams will be too.

Seattle holds the key to what we do at 13. If they take a tackle at 6 we can wait to take one at 17 and take BPA at 13. If not then we have to consider reaching at 13
for a tackle or gamble on a 2nd round tackle or gamble on Iupati playing outside.
My contribution similar to your question...

For me, I see Spiller or Haden being the pick at #13 if the top 4 OTs are gone. I really think that Jax may select Haden as they need a CB and local boy keeps fans in seats. If that is the case, Spiller becomes the obvious choice as he would probably be the only remaining top 10 pick at that juncture.

Spiller or Trade back...if Clausen is there, maybe Minny would want to jump up?

I think Spiller will go top 12, and I could see us taking Davis if he's there or a pass rusher

[ Edited by teeohh on Apr 9, 2010 at 08:40:13 ]
If Seattle take an OT at 6. then there is Anthony Davis, Charles Brown,Rodger Saffold I don't know how far apart they are raked but all could still to be had with a top 20 pick. So if team in the tophalf of the 20s call and will trade there first plus second pick to move up I would take it. if no one will do that I would take the player i like most.
I think I'd rather have Brown at 17 than Davis at 13, then use 13 on Spiller.

But if Davis is the choice at 13 then I would want the niners to take Lupati at 17 and have him challenge Rachal and Baas for PT, Rachal sucked last year and Baas is a "?". If we can solidify our Oline for the next 5 years than we should do it.

Most people think we only need a RT but we couldn't run inside very well with Baas and Rachal either.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
My dream scenario would be one of the top 4 OT at 13 and Iupati at 17. We would then have zero excuse for having a below average line.
I think the strategy should then be take Haden, Thomas, or Spiller at 13 then take Iupati with the 17th pick, and look for another right tackle candidate later in the draft.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, I want two OL in the first and get this OL fixed already. Any combination and Iupati. Get this line fixed now.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Yeah, I want two OL in the first and get this OL fixed already. Any combination and Iupati. Get this line fixed now.

If we draft 2 rookie OL in the 1st round we will be 7-9 guarantee.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

[ Edited by susweel on Apr 9, 2010 at 14:09:22 ]
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
#13- Spiller
#17- Wilson
Trade 2011 first round to NE. for #22
#22- Charles Brown
  • PROTIME
  • Info N/A
Jimmy Clausen 13TH selection

Kyle Wilson 17th selection

WILL DO!
Originally posted by BigBug415:

You like to fish don't you!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BigBug415:

Let them fight it out with the veterans in TC. May the best man win. I aint afraid of starting no rookies.

[ Edited by mayo63 on Apr 9, 2010 at 16:31:03 ]
Share 49ersWebzone