There are 226 users in the forums

Right Tackle is a different critter...

There's a difference between drafting a "tackle", i.e. left tackle, and drafting a right tackle; the skill sets are somewhat different.

Now I don't pretend to be truly knowledgeable about such things, I'll assume others are and will fill in the details. My point is that we don't need guys that thrived as left tackles in college like Okung or Bulaga. We need a guy who excelled at RIGHT TACKLE (or who possesses the necessary skills to do so).

I know Williams played RT well, at least for a season, although most draft gurus imagine him as an LT. But the other "top" guys are LT's , too, (including Davis, Campbell, and Brown).

So work with me here...who are the top RT candidates in this draft???

Thanking you in advance...
I agree, in principle. However, you are making a big assumption that no matter what Joe Staley will remain a LT. Happily he is capable of playing both sides of the line. Thus, we need only be concerned with taking the best tackle available, right or left.
Originally posted by CornellU49er:
I agree, in principle. However, you are making a big assumption that no matter what Joe Staley will remain a LT. Happily he is capable of playing both sides of the line. Thus, we need only be concerned with taking the best tackle available, right or left.

Staley already said he wants to stay at LT after the season ended and that he doesn't want to go back to RT. Also we paid the guy a lot of money, left tackle money.

Anyway, Trent Williams actually played RT last year and did well, and then this year he played LT at times and I think Center for a game and he was shaky. But people see how athletic he tested at the combine and they think he's athletic enough to be a LT. But he played best as a RT. And Bulaga could probably be a good RT too, he's a good run blocker. I wouldn't mind the big guys like Bruce Campbell or Anthony Davis as our RT though. But yeah we don't need Okung IMO.

As far as guys later in the draft, like in the 2nd round, you got Jason Fox, Kyle Calloway(maybe more of a 3rd), Rodger Saffold, Jared Veldheer(maybe later though), etc.
i think the reason most draft 'experts' say williams will be a LT is because of where he will be drafted, u dont take a RT only in the first round, but i do agree we are in a unique position with 2 1st rounders and needing a RT only, i say roll the dice and pick a RT in round 2 and take 2 really good players in the first round who can fill our other holes
Originally posted by crabman82:
i think the reason most draft 'experts' say williams will be a LT is because of where he will be drafted, u dont take a RT only in the first round, but i do agree we are in a unique position with 2 1st rounders and needing a RT only, i say roll the dice and pick a RT in round 2 and take 2 really good players in the first round who can fill our other holes

That's really the smart way to go. I'll have my fingers, toes and hairs crossed hoping one of the top OTs drops to us at #13 but I'm also realistic. I don't think the team should trade up for any of the tackles here. The only guy who could be worth it would be Okung and he'll likely be the 4th pick which would cost us both our first rounders to move up for and he's not a sure fire stud at LT like a Joe Thomas. Orlando Pace, Walter Jones...etc

Drafting a RT in the top 10 is a bit unusual anyways but if a top OT falls and it's our #1 need you take him at #13 but to trade up is a panic move which kills teams all the time.

You stay put and take the best player at a position which helps your team - we have several other holes on the team which can use upgrades - DE/OLB, CB, FS, OG or even look at drafting backups - soon to be starters at other positions - NT, DE, C...etc

There are other prospects out there that while not as highly regarded as the first 4 guys could go in and play very well at RT(those guys don't need to be excellent at pass blocking and need to be pretty strong in the running game)
Originally posted by genus49:

That's really the smart way to go. I'll have my fingers, toes and hairs crossed hoping one of the top OTs drops to us at #13 but I'm also realistic. I don't think the team should trade up for any of the tackles here. The only guy who could be worth it would be Okung and he'll likely be the 4th pick which would cost us both our first rounders to move up for and he's not a sure fire stud at LT like a Joe Thomas. Orlando Pace, Walter Jones...etc

Drafting a RT in the top 10 is a bit unusual anyways but if a top OT falls and it's our #1 need you take him at #13 but to trade up is a panic move which kills teams all the time.

You stay put and take the best player at a position which helps your team - we have several other holes on the team which can use upgrades - DE/OLB, CB, FS, OG or even look at drafting backups - soon to be starters at other positions - NT, DE, C...etc

There are other prospects out there that while not as highly regarded as the first 4 guys could go in and play very well at RT(those guys don't need to be excellent at pass blocking and need to be pretty strong in the running game)

I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I don't see an immediate need to trade up. We are drafting a RT and not a LT. While RT is far and away our most pressing need, it's not the one missing piece from us and the playoffs.

With Lewis and Clements having recent injury issues, our secondary could potentially be in a volatile situation.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by genus49:

I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I don't see an immediate need to trade up. We are drafting a RT and not a LT. While RT is far and away our most pressing need, it's not the one missing piece from us and the playoffs.

With Lewis and Clements having recent injury issues, our secondary could potentially be in a volatile situation.

-9fA

DID YOU SEE Pashos and Synder play....trust me, RT IS the reason why we did not make the playoffs....it cost us games, as well as having a punt returner that can actually Catch the ball ( 2 games Hou and Sea) so RT and ST is the major issue followed by secondary, even though our cb's and safety's are pretty good as a whole
Originally posted by elguapo:
DID YOU SEE Pashos and Synder play....trust me, RT IS the reason why we did not make the playoffs....it cost us games, as well as having a punt returner that can actually Catch the ball ( 2 games Hou and Sea) so RT and ST is the major issue followed by secondary, even though our cb's and safety's are pretty good as a whole

Yes, and Snyder and Pashos were horrible and I wished nothing more than to see somebody else out there besides them. But, at the same time, RT is not our only need. I would be happy if we stayed pat and drafted Brown.

I personally feel that we need to draft a OG in the mid rounds because I'm just not convinced that Baas (or Wragge) is the answer to anything.

I also don't feel very comfortable placing our 1st round pick on return duties. I would much rather draft a mid round guy, pay him a fraction of the money and get just as much ability in the return game.

-9fA
Share 49ersWebzone