There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What could we get for Nate Clements...

When I read about the Niners possibly landing CB Haden at #13, I assume Nate Clements will not be a starting CB for the Niners. If that is the case, I got to believe there is another team out there who could benefit from his veteran presence and B+ skills. A team like the Browns who are also said to be interested in Haden with their first pick at #7 could be interested in Clements at $6 million next year. That would be less than they would pay their #7 pick. If the 49eers traded #17 along with Nate Clements and a 3rd or 4th next year I think it might be enough to move up to swap spots with the Browns (their #7 for our #17).

Instead of the Browns ending up with just Berry or just Haden, they would come out of the first with Nate Clements and possibly Earl Thomas. The 49ers would still keep our #13 to then hopefully land Joe Haden (finally our lock down corner) and get all the way up to #7 to possibly get a crack at Bulaga or Williams.

I may not have the numbers just right, meaning we may need to give them a third or 4th this year as well...but the fact is Clements does have trade value and a team like the Browns might be interested in what he can do and it may help them trade out of a high priced pick if their target man was gone. Meaning if tey go in wanting Eric Berry and he is gone by #7 they could trade for nate and end up with Thomas / Wilson/ Mays..
Aging CB, even f they're good, are not a commodity, just look at the Eagles and Brown. I think the best we could reasonably hope for for Clements would be a 3rd or 4th with the current trade market as it is.
u assumed wrong nate and haden will start
Originally posted by TonyMantana:
When I read about the Niners possibly landing CB Haden at #13, I assume Nate Clements will not be a starting CB for the Niners. If that is the case, I got to believe there is another team out there who could benefit from his veteran presence and B+ skills. A team like the Browns who are also said to be interested in Haden with their first pick at #7 could be interested in Clements at $6 million next year. That would be less than they would pay their #7 pick. If the 49eers traded #17 along with Nate Clements and a 3rd or 4th next year I think it might be enough to move up to swap spots with the Browns (their #7 for our #17).

Instead of the Browns ending up with just Berry or just Haden, they would come out of the first with Nate Clements and possibly Earl Thomas. The 49ers would still keep our #13 to then hopefully land Joe Haden (finally our lock down corner) and get all the way up to #7 to possibly get a crack at Bulaga or Williams.

I may not have the numbers just right, meaning we may need to give them a third or 4th this year as well...but the fact is Clements does have trade value and a team like the Browns might be interested in what he can do and it may help them trade out of a high priced pick if their target man was gone. Meaning if tey go in wanting Eric Berry and he is gone by #7 they could trade for nate and end up with Thomas / Wilson/ Mays..

We dont know we could land Haden until after drafting him at 13. In your scenario we move up our 17th to 7th and keep the 13th. If Nate is traded in the deal for the 7th how can we be assured Haden will be there at 13? We cant.

I like moving up the board to land Okung or Williams (4-9) but trading Nate Im not a fan of.

Also I dont think we could move up the 17th to 7th. It would have to be the 13th to 7th with additional picks.

The Skins and Raiders are other teams we could look to trade with in your idea.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
If we're lucky. Really really lucky. With Baltimore not having a 3rd or a 4th. Clements and a 3rd or 4th for Jared Gaither. Baltimore's defense is built to win now with need for CB help and they apparently have Gaither on the block.

In reality though, we shouldn't expect much in return for Clements.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

spencer and haden
Max we'd get a fourth for him
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

spencer and haden

spencer is incosistent IMO, Nate is better with better pass rush, he deserves another yr to see what he has.
At least your approach is thinking outside of the box. I wouldn't be opposed to a trade of Clements if we could get a second and third out of somebody. It would be great to draft a CB if we could get a high pick and get one of the 2nd round or third round CB.