LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 212 users in the forums

Hypothetical: Would you roll the dice on injured players?

Alright, maybe this is a stupid question, but I have been pondering this and would like the `Zones input:

How much would you guys be willing to roll the dice on a player who was ranked as a stud prospect, but is injured? And I do not mean players who had injury concerns coming from college (I think those guys would be automatically downgraded on draft boards), but guys who where otherwise clean but maybe had something happen prior to the draft?

Say, for example, you are the Niners and suddenly, next Week Ndamukong Suh twists his knee or tears something and now he will need surgery, would miss camp, even a few games or maybe even pull a Willis McGahee and threatens to miss the season? As he tumbles down the draft board, would you personally still roll the dice and select him?

I know, this questions has way too many variables, but lets say for the sake of the experiment it would be an injury that knocks the player out for an extended amount of time, but he could return for the last few weeks or a playoff run. Lets also say you are confident that the injury will have no negative impact long-term, so he will be more or less the same after the injury and rehabilitation.

Would you pull the trigger? I am kinda intrigued by this question, for example if it would be a QB (so projecting to this years draft, if Bradfords shoulder would have taken longer to heal, but checked out OK) I think I would not hesitate, as in my opinion a rookie QB should preferably sit and learn his first season anyway.

If the already mentioned Suh would fall because of injury and I would be the Niners, I think I would also add him, because I would think we would have enough depth on the D-Line to get by without him and he was so highly regarded.

On the other hand, with a corner or safety I would not be so sure, because I think we really need someone there to play right away (and rookie DBs can usually contribute right away in Nickel or Dime packages), especially if that guy would additionally provide kick and/or punt return value, which we desperately need. O-Line would be similar in my mind.

So, if you guys did not fall asleep while reading this: What would you guys do?
This year would be the year to do it with 2 first round picks.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I would with a later round selection, ie Tai Streets. I wouldn't do it in the first 3 rounds.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Two big injuries that are red flags to me are concussions and knee injuries.

Lets say for example a player like Jahvid Best - he has never been able to stay healthy at CAL and that concussion he had last season only raises my red flag higher on him at the pro level.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Nuns:
I would with a later round selection, ie Tai Streets. I wouldn't do it in the first 3 rounds.
No. Not in roundds 1-4. The calibre of play is so much more intense in NFL that I feel a player w/an injury is a player is another injury waiting to happen.
Originally posted by NoOffseason:
Alright, maybe this is a stupid question, but I have been pondering this and would like the `Zones input:

How much would you guys be willing to roll the dice on a player who was ranked as a stud prospect, but is injured? And I do not mean players who had injury concerns coming from college (I think those guys would be automatically downgraded on draft boards), but guys who where otherwise clean but maybe had something happen prior to the draft?

Say, for example, you are the Niners and suddenly, next Week Ndamukong Suh twists his knee or tears something and now he will need surgery, would miss camp, even a few games or maybe even pull a Willis McGahee and threatens to miss the season? As he tumbles down the draft board, would you personally still roll the dice and select him?

I know, this questions has way too many variables, but lets say for the sake of the experiment it would be an injury that knocks the player out for an extended amount of time, but he could return for the last few weeks or a playoff run. Lets also say you are confident that the injury will have no negative impact long-term, so he will be more or less the same after the injury and rehabilitation.

Would you pull the trigger? I am kinda intrigued by this question, for example if it would be a QB (so projecting to this years draft, if Bradfords shoulder would have taken longer to heal, but checked out OK) I think I would not hesitate, as in my opinion a rookie QB should preferably sit and learn his first season anyway.

If the already mentioned Suh would fall because of injury and I would be the Niners, I think I would also add him, because I would think we would have enough depth on the D-Line to get by without him and he was so highly regarded.

On the other hand, with a corner or safety I would not be so sure, because I think we really need someone there to play right away (and rookie DBs can usually contribute right away in Nickel or Dime packages), especially if that guy would additionally provide kick and/or punt return value, which we desperately need. O-Line would be similar in my mind.

So, if you guys did not fall asleep while reading this: What would you guys do?

You said they do not have a hstory of injuries, but then you use Suh who has already had 3 knee injuries. If he hurt himself before the draft I don't thinkI would even draft him till the second. To have that many injuries in such a short career, and playing in a college season means he cannot handle an NFL season. And I doubt many teams would if Suh went down today. No one in their right mind would be willing to pay around 35 million in GUARANTEED money to some one who might never play a snap.

If the injury is more similar to that of Demaryuis Thomas (broken foot, can't work out at combine, but no injury in the past) then I would take a look at him in round 2, but if he fell to the third I would HAVE to take him. Too good a value.[/b]
Which ones? First one that comes to my mind is O'Brien Schofield OLB/DE. Anyone else you want to discuss?
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Which ones? First one that comes to my mind is O'Brien Schofield OLB/DE. Anyone else you want to discuss?

I think he was being considered as a 2nd round pick before his injury. His stock went way up before, but now I think he goes in the 5th or after
  • titan
  • Veteran
Colt McCoy considered injured? If so I'll take him on the 3rd! because of our need in DB and OL position. If not I would be happy taking him 2nd.

Originally posted by Nuns:
We drafted Crabtree due to an injury slip as well as Gore ...
Originally posted by Niners23:
We drafted Crabtree due to an injury slip as well as Gore ...

Not really the same thing as Crabtree dropped due to an injury that forced him to miss any workouts during the offseason but other than that he was quite healthy his whole college career. Frank tore up both his knees but was able to participate in said workouts.

To answer the question it really depends...if it's a knee injury you can't draft that guy in the first round - not in the top 20. Just too much of a risk.

if it's a toe, or bone break hell yes. If a top 3 talent falls to 20s because of an injury you take him.
Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota or Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech. Certainly not in the 1st but I'd consider them in the 2nd or later.
I'd take a chance on the 3 major injured guys. Demaryius Thomas is a first round talent IMO, if he slips to the 2nd we'd be lucky to get him. I really like Schofield in the 5th or 6th and he's worth waiting for IMO since those guys usually don't make an impact for a while anyway. I really like Eric Decker too, big WR at 6'3'' who catches everything and runs good routes.
Share 49ersWebzone