LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Some draft musings...

Here are the players that I think will be gone when the thirteenth pick comes around:

OT

Okung, Bulaga, Davis, Williams

QB

Bradford, Clausen

DT

Suh, McCoy

RB

Spiller

DE

Morgan

S

Berry

CB

Haden

Sad, isn’t it?

With the exception of the two quarterbacks, any of those players that somehow fall to us (thanks again, Al Davis!) we will snatch up just as we did Crabtree last year.

But if the four offensive tackles are off the board, then I don’t think we reach for Campbell, Ducasse, Iupati, or Brown. By the way, if Campbell is gone and Davis is there, I still think we don’t take him. We need to be sure…

We need a starter, a for sure player who can come in and make us better from day one.

So, who’s left?

Nobody.

Nobody worth the high pick that fits our needs and system. Reaches only.

Dez Bryant? Wouldn’t see the field enough to justify the pick.
Pierre-Paul? Ditto.
Dan Williams? Ditto.
Earl Thomas? Draft him to change to CB? At thirteen? Ouch.
Taylor Mays? Well, I think he could start for us at strong safety, so he might make the most sense of all, but he’s still a reach at thirteen, and anyway, we need a CB more.

So, can we find a trading partner and trade down to pick up an OT (I guess I’d prefer Brown of those that are left) at seventeen and maybe Kyle Wilson a little later?

Best of a bad business, if you ask me.

And if we can’t find a trading partner….

Hey, Al, did you see how fast Jacoby Ford ran at the combine? And he can’t catch either!

Finally, suppose we’ve worked with Miami or Seattle, or both, and not just one, but two of those players I expect to be gone are still there when either Miami or Seattle draft (though of course, if it’s Seattle only one will be…we’ll have taken the other-which is why we should complete the trade before we make the thirteenth pick!)

We trade seventeen, 79, and 145 to Seattle for fourteen. We’d need to get back their 104 to balance the values out.

Or, if it’s the Dolphins who want to play, we send them seventeen, 79, and our fifth and sixth rounders for the twelfth pick.

Farfetched? Unlikely? Yep. Two of the top thirteen would have to drop to make this even imaginable. But if you’re not a big fan of lower round draft choices (c’mon down, Bear Pascoe!), then maybe it’s worth the price.

I sure hope Spiller falls!!

Hey, Al, Dez Bryant is as good as Crabtree!
I'd think if the Niners went after Earl Thomas they'd put him at FS and have Goldson and Lewis split time depending on situation (Lewis being the better run defender and Goldson being more of a factor in dime and nickel situations).

But I do agree if those are the 12 previously taken the niners will be in a tough situation. A trade down would probably be the best course of action, possibly with someone looking to draft McClain, Pierre-Paul, Bryant, or Thomas.

Would it be a reach to possibly look at Kindle at this spot?
A little drama on your end......

There will be talent at 13 and 17, they can and coach willing will produce. You seem to not think that Dez Bryant, Iupati, Graham, Golden Tate, Ryan Matthews, Earl Thomas, could not help the niners??
brandon graham at 13
Originally posted by thejackal25:
I'd think if the Niners went after Earl Thomas they'd put him at FS and have Goldson and Lewis split time depending on situation (Lewis being the better run defender and Goldson being more of a factor in dime and nickel situations).

But I do agree if those are the 12 previously taken the niners will be in a tough situation. A trade down would probably be the best course of action, possibly with someone looking to draft McClain, Pierre-Paul, Bryant, or Thomas.

Would it be a reach to possibly look at Kindle at this spot?

Nice post.

1. In your scenario Thomas = Mays, which would give us an upgrade and therefore make sense. At thirteen? Wow, what a waste. Do it if we have to is what I say.

2. Trade down? I agree. But it won't happen unless we have a willing partner. Maybe. If all twelve go, before us, hope so.

3. Kindle at thirteen? Big time reach, imo.
Prozac
Originally posted by 9erred:

There will be talent at 13 and 17, they can and coach willing will produce. You seem to not think that Dez Bryant, Iupati, Graham, Golden Tate, Ryan Matthews, Earl Thomas, could not help the niners??

Yes, there will be talent at 13 and 17, no question. But 1 through 12 will be instant starters, and that is what the Niners need: two starters with their two first round picks. If my prediction of the first twelve is correct, then they can't have what they need, which is.....not good.

About your named players...

Bryant and Tate don't see the field for us this next year. Not good. Iupati at guard is way overdrafted at either 13 or 17 and at OT is a project. Might work. Not the sure thing that we need with our picks. Earl Thomas could help us...or be a fifth DB, which is not what we need. Graham? We already made that pick. He's named Manny Lawson and we're still evaluating that pick. Not a sure thing. Finally, Ryan Matthews. With a trade down? Yes! At thirteen or seventeen. If we have to.

I'd like to see us do better, but this draft is setting up to be a nightmare for us.

And that's before McCloughan left.....
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Prozac

crapzo
I would still be happy with Graham and Thomas.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I would still be happy with Graham and Thomas.

Ok, but why? With #13 and #17?

Both would be changing positions (if you project Thomas as a CB--leaving him at safety gives an upgrade, but one worth a first round pick? If we have to...).

Yes, if we don't totally screw up we'll get two good players, but will they be starters? Maybe one. At a position of not especial need (safety).

Remember Balmer.

He was a first rounder too.

Originally posted by endz0ne:

Yes, there will be talent at 13 and 17, no question. But 1 through 12 will be instant starters, and that is what the Niners need: two starters with their two first round picks. If my prediction of the first twelve is correct, then they can't have what they need, which is.....not good.

Bryant and Tate don't see the field for us this next year. Not good. Iupati at guard is way overdrafted at either 13 or 17 and at OT is a project. Might work. Not the sure thing that we need with our picks. Earl Thomas could help us...or be a fifth DB, which is not what we need. Graham? We already made that pick. He's named Manny Lawson and we're still evaluating that pick. Not a sure thing. Finally, Ryan Matthews. With a trade down? Yes! At thirteen or seventeen. If we have to.

I'd like to see us do better, but this draft is setting up to be a nightmare for us.

So, we have maybe a 50% chance to get 1 starter out 2 choices and those picks still may not address SF's big areas of need. Seems to me that the 49ers should trade up and get one premier player, be it OL or DB, that they really want.
Originally posted by mr_congeniality:
Originally posted by endz0ne:

So, we have maybe a 50% chance to get 1 starter out 2 choices and those picks still may not address SF's big areas of need. Seems to me that the 49ers should trade up and get one premier player, be it OL or DB, that they really want.

If we can't get a top tackle, let us at least sort out the inner line with Iupati. And draft a guy who can develop behind Sims at tackle. Value for draft picks is important, but sometimes problems just have to be solved
  • krizay
  • Veteran

• mayo49
  • Veteran
The word is that Oakland likes Bryant. Maybe they take him and another OT falls to us.
EndZ0ne, your post is exactly right on except for Thomas at safety, he is an instant starter. I don't think we trade down at all even if those 12 are gone which i think 11 out of the 12 will be.....then we take Thomas with 13 or the 1 that slipped and reach for Brown at 17 or Iupati
Share 49ersWebzone