LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 174 users in the forums

Jimbagg's One and Only Mock

Updated April 16 to delete 5th-rounder, traded to Miami for Ted Ginn. There will be no version 2.0 etc. This is it. Be warned, the only Niner pick that I called correctlty last year was RB Coffee.

13. NT Williams - Tenn - 3rd -rated DT per nfldraftscout.com (#1-rated NT), 6'2", 327, 5.19, 27 reps. D-linemen take time to develop. The club needs a viable alternative in 2011 for the franchised Franklin. NT is a brutal position, subject to injury. Depth is important. Williams would be a rotational player as a rookie. NT's are hard to find, but critical to the 3-4 scheme. When you get a chance to get a premium guy at this position, you do it. More protection for Willis. Note what NE has done with 1st-round picks for the DL.

17. OT Davis - Rutgers - 4th-rated OT per nfldraftscout.com, 6'5", 323, 5.36, 21 reps, OT is an urgent club need. Davis slips to this spot due to concerns about his attitude, wiight, commitment, immaturity, etc. Singletary/Solari/Brown see his enormous talent and believe that they can bring-out the beast in Davis. Whether he is placed at LT or RT (more likely) will be up to the ooaches. Starts by Game 3 of rookie year.

49. SLASH (PR/KR/WR/RB) McCluster - Ole Miss - 6th rated WR by nfldraftscout.com. 5'8", 172, 4.53, 20 reps. Short but very strong and durable and versatile. Will get 6-10 "touches" per game as PR and KR. Can also be used creatively in the offense. Has all the intangibles to contribute immediately. McCloughan would not have made this pick. Even after the trade for Ted Ginn, I'm going to keep McCluster in this spot.

79. CB Murphy - South Florida - 11th-rated CB by nfldraftscout.com, 6'0", 198, 4.50, 16 reps, strong, tough, big hitter, Clements-like CB who is very tough against the run and physical in coverage, tall enough for the position. Will get PT in Year 1 primarily on ST and as 4th or 5th CB. Also significant KR experience.

113. OG Newhouse - TCU - 6th-rated OG by nfldraftscout.com, 6'4", 319, 4.99, 25 reps, solid guard prospect with excellent pulling speed, played for a winning program at TCU. Durable and versatile with 3 years as starting LT.

145. Deleted. Traded to Miami for Ted Ginn.

182. ILB Dillard - Nebraska - 6th-rated ILB by nfldraftscout.com, 6'0", 245, 4.65, reps not known, key man in solid Black Shirts defense, playing behind Suh, short but tough, can bulk-up a little in weight program, ST-performer in rookie year, competes with Wilhelm and McKillop for increased PT in 2nd year, when/if Spikes retires.

206. OLB Hart - Central Arkansas - 23rd-rated OLB by nfldraftscout.com, 6'0", 246, 4.58, reps not known, speedy OLB with pass rush skills, TC competition for Briggs.

224. QB Daryll Clark (drafted as a TE) - Penn State - 24-rated QB by nfldraftscout.com, but this is a position change, so not important, 6'2", 235, 4.72, 21, outstanding athlete and leadership skills (aka Michael Robinson), the club needs more depth at TE, has the hands and offensive knowledge to quickly absorb the TE position, doesn't have a pro career as a QB and knows it, so will accept the position change willingly, can bulk-up a little on weight program and be key ST contributor early-on.

That's it. You may well disagree on whether each pick will still available at the given time. Using MadDog's latest slotting and nfldraftscout.com's latest projections, these guys stand a good probability of still being available, when the Niners pick.

[ Edited by jimbagg on Apr 16, 2010 at 10:57:41 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Not a fan of Davis but that's just preference. Really like the Murphy pick. Love the Dan Williams pick. I hope Miami and Bills (who are switchin' to 3-4) pass on him. Pretty good mock, takes care of pretty much all the needs.
Jim...interesting mock. Quite a bit to like, actually. Since they're giving RJF his shot to b/u Franklin, I'd be more inclined to beef up LDE. Yeah, I know, there'd be a logjam at the position, but it's time to cut some lesser talent for someone like Tyson Alualu, who could be had in the 2nd rd. He's the prototype sized DE at 6-3, 295 and played in the 3-4 under Jeff Tedford at Cal. Instead of Williams, I'd go with a 2nd OL, probably Iupati or Pouncey in the 1st. That's just me...certainly Williams should be a very good pro, and you're right, top NT's are pretty hard to find. Guess it depends on what kind of commitment the Niners are willing to make to Abrayo.
I rather have mardy gilyard in the second. I like everything else. Patrick willis likes the williams pick even more.
Deleted the 5th-round pick, traded to Miami in the Ted Ginn deal.

Call me crazy, but I'm keeping all of my other picks as originally forecast, including McCluster as the Niner pick at #49.
I think McCluster is off the table as well. If Ginn's our return man he's pretty much worthless. I don't see us taking any skilled positions to after the 5th round.
Really like the Newhouse pick. A big, physical, athletic guard with the speed to get to the second level--unlike Iupati and even Pouncey. And he has some experience playing OT. Will he last til the 4th?

Also really like that you go NT with #13. Its really a need, probably more than RT. There are four guys on the roster right now who could fill RT spot, Snyder, Sims, Boone and Patrick. Newhouse would make five, and Rachal could shift over to make it six. The only guy backing up NT is RJF, at 305.

That being said, I'd prefer someone besides an OT, specifically Davis, at #17. Either go pass rush OLB (Graham?) or CB (Wilson?) or Safety (Thomas?). Davis just has too many red flags, imho.
Nice effort, jim. Just a couple of thoughts. First, the Williams pick is good insurance for Aubrayo long term, but he may be gone with two other 3-4 teams picking right in front of us with a similar need. I would think the Niners go for their CB/S here with Haden or Thomas.

If that scenario plays out, I would hope the Niners address their front seven with the 3rd round pick.

Last, I would go for someone other than Darryl Clark at TE. Maybe someone like a Colin Peek Alabama lasts that long or Jameson Konz from Kent St.
Nice mock Jimbagg. I really like the Jerome Murphy pick!
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I think McCluster is off the table as well. If Ginn's our return man he's pretty much worthless. I don't see us taking any skilled positions to after the 5th round.

awful why draft a NT in the 1st and basically signify the end of Franklin's tenure as a 9er after this season?

I like A.Davis and think he can be a beast for us but wouldn't it just be taunting watching 9er games knowing we could have Haden or Williams in the defensive backfield or a top rate passrusher? No thanks on a NT in the 1st 2 rounds let's get depth in rounds 3-7 let's draft guys to get this team in the best position to win now.
Originally posted by matt49er:
awful why draft a NT in the 1st and basically signify the end of Franklin's tenure as a 9er after this season?

I like A.Davis and think he can be a beast for us but wouldn't it just be taunting watching 9er games knowing we could have Haden or Williams in the defensive backfield or a top rate passrusher? No thanks on a NT in the 1st 2 rounds let's get depth in rounds 3-7 let's draft guys to get this team in the best position to win now.

Franklin, Willis and Davis will demand contracts to be paid the most for each of their respective positions. I doubt we can sign all 3 to long term contracts like that, so I'm not sure if we are able to retain Franklin after this season.
Originally posted by Niners23:
Originally posted by matt49er:

Franklin, Willis and Davis will demand contracts to be paid the most for each of their respective positions. I doubt we can sign all 3 to long term contracts like that, so I'm not sure if we are able to retain Franklin after this season.

no way Franklin demands top NT dollar. He would get a very reasonable contract that would still be under what Justin Smith got. I think one of the biggest reasons we won't go NT in the first 2 rounds is we're not far apart with Franklin's negotiations I think it will be worked out by TC.
Good compliment of players.

What if Seattle takes Davis at 14? Are you prepared to not address the biggest need of the team with either of the two first round picks? Does any other OT warrant the 17th pick?

I like your end results, I just dont know about passing on Davis at 13.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Really like the Newhouse pick. A big, physical, athletic guard with the speed to get to the second level--unlike Iupati and even Pouncey. And he has some experience playing OT. Will he last til the 4th?

Also really like that you go NT with #13. Its really a need, probably more than RT. There are four guys on the roster right now who could fill RT spot, Snyder, Sims, Boone and Patrick. Newhouse would make five, and Rachal could shift over to make it six. The only guy backing up NT is RJF, at 305.

That being said, I'd prefer someone besides an OT, specifically Davis, at #17. Either go pass rush OLB (Graham?) or CB (Wilson?) or Safety (Thomas?). Davis just has too many red flags, imho.

Man, I agree.
Very valid points.
Share 49ersWebzone