LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

OT J'Marcus Webb, West Texas A & M

Quote:
02/08/2010 - Texas vs. Nation Game Review: West Texas A&M tackle J'Marcus Webb was stout in pass protection and as a run blocker, and even got out in front of screens to dominate defensive backs. Charlie Campbell (Eastern Illinois) stood his ground in pass protection and looked fluid getting out in front of Holliday's TD run in the third quarter. - Chad Reuter, The Sports Xchange, NFLDraftScout.com

02/04/2010 - Texas vs. the Nation, Wednesday: One of the more intriguing physical specimens on the line in front of Perriloux is another major college transfer, former Texas tackle J'Marcus Webb, who played at West Texas A&M for two years after earning All-American honors at Navarro Junior College. Webb proved Wednesday he has good enough footwork and strength to anchor against the defensive ends in his game, and he has some mobility in the open field. However, scouts watching him on the field were concerned about his willingness to participate in drills and were disappointed in his body language between reps. - Chad Reuter, The SportsXchange, NFLDraftScout.com

LINK

Niners Meet w/ Jumbo-sized Small School OT

Quote:

On the same night last week the 49ers had 327-pound Rutgers offensive tackle Anthony Davis for dinner, they also hosted West Texas A&M offensive tackle J'Marcus Webb, according to his agent. He might have played at a small school, but Webb is one of the biggest players in the draft at 6-7, 335 pounds. He wears size 19 shoes, has 36-inch arms and ran the short shuttle in 4.16 seconds. According to agent Kendall Martin Cooper, Webb is a regular at the gym (he should get along with Alex Boone) and runs four miles a day. Webb played in the Texas vs. the Nation all-star game and reportedly handled himself well. Webb will work out for the Bears and Cowboys this week.

Loving it. Possible 4th round sleeper?
I wanted to update with some stats from his pro-day seeing as how he didn't get a Combine invite.

40-yard Dash: 5.30s
Vertical Jump: 25.5 "
Bench Press: 17
Broad Jump: 8-5"
20-yard Shuttle:4.14s
Three-Cone: 7.63s

None of those numbers are particularly impressive, except the shuttle, which is pretty astonishing for a man of his size. I'm still not sure if that shuttle time is accurate because it just seems too fast. On the other hand, his vertical is much lower when compared to other top OT prospects, and his 3-cone would've been the worst of any attempted by an OG or OT at the combine. His bench press is also a little on the low side, but some leeway can be given due to his arm length.
That's a big man.

Hmm. Niners meet first with Anthony Davis, then this Webb guy.

Think Singletary wants a RT in the draft this year?
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
That's a big man.

I wonder if Solari has any part in this process? Are these guys that he wants?
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
I like OL with great size, pause.
Originally posted by PTulini:
That's a big man.

One thing that Sing has been good about is knowing his own limitations and taking a lot of advice from his assistants, so I would assume Solari has a big part in all of this as well. Also remember that teams meet with 70+ players before the draft, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Daniel Jeremiah, a former Browns and Ravens scout who blogs about the NFL now, said that teams may take players in for a workout in case they missed their pro-day, if it's a small-school guy who they want to get a better read on etc. So, with Webb being a small school guy, it's entirely possible that they just wanted to get a better feel for him and where his talents lie. Remember that when Shawntae Spencer was drafted, 25+ teams met with him beforehand, mainly because he was from a small school and not much was known about him. But, only one of those teams ended up drafting him.
Seems like nice guy to pickup later in the draft.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners23:
That's a big man.

One thing that Sing has been good about is knowing his own limitations and taking a lot of advice from his assistants, so I would assume Solari has a big part in all of this as well. Also remember that teams meet with 70+ players before the draft, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Daniel Jeremiah, a former Browns and Ravens scout who blogs about the NFL now, said that teams may take players in for a workout in case they missed their pro-day, if it's a small-school guy who they want to get a better read on etc. So, with Webb being a small school guy, it's entirely possible that they just wanted to get a better feel for him and where his talents lie. Remember that when Shawntae Spencer was drafted, 25+ teams met with him beforehand, mainly because he was from a small school and not much was known about him. But, only one of those teams ended up drafting him.

Originally posted by NTeply49:
Loving it. Possible 4th round sleeper?

I think that fact that a guy of his size (6-7 330+) runs four miles a day is amazing. I am also impresssed by his commitment to the weight room. Now those things may not mean he is going to be a great player, buy whatever questionable work habbits Anthony Davis may have do not seem to be the case with this guy. I hope we address the tackle position before the fourth round, but if we don't (godforbid) or can't I'm all for giving him a shot.

He sure looks the part.

[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 4, 2010 at 21:04:24 ]

Originally posted by krizay:
That's a big man.

I'm sorry but Pitt is not a small school.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by krizay:
That's a big man.

I'm sorry but Pitt is not a small school.

Sorry, he wasn't from a small school, but he didn't attend the combine, so he had an incomplete draft grade from many teams, which is why they brought him in for visits.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
i cant see the vid???? said video is private
Originally posted by fan49:
i cant see the vid???? said video is private

It worked before...
I wouldn't mind taking a flier on a guy like this late in the draft. In fact, with the Oline being such a big priority, I'd nab a OT and OG late, and then bring in a bunch of UDFA's and see if any of them have potential. Why not give some big ugly a chance to improve the depth.
Share 49ersWebzone