There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What is everyone's fascination with Mike "Lupati"??

• KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

ask miami how much jake long helped
ask the browns how much joe thomas helped
ask ravens how oher has helped
ask the broncos how much ryan clady helped

i can go on for a while

LOL one of the worse counter arguments ever.

I'm not saying we don't need help at OL, but plenty of posters are saying use both of our 1st rounders on OL - I wouldn't be surprised if we take our first OL in the 2nd.

If we did it wouldn't be a terrible thing either, but if we don't draft an OL in the 1st this place will go ape s**t. You can find good lineman outside of the 1st, I'd hope we stick to our guns and not reach just to fill a need on the OL in round 1.

You can also find mediocre players in the 2nd like Baas and Rachal. Iupati allows the OL to have ProBowl level stars. Talk about a playmaker.

So we are anointing Iupati a PB'er before he even steps on an NFL field and plays a down ?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
What is everyone's fascination with correcting the spelling of "Lupati"??

That drives ME crazy more than the talk of taking him at #13. WTF does it matter if it's an I or an L. Has no bearing on the argument. Everyone knows who the hell the posters is talking about. I hope we don't draft LupatL at all personally! Bigger upgrades to be had at other positions.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

ask miami how much jake long helped
ask the browns how much joe thomas helped
ask ravens how oher has helped
ask the broncos how much ryan clady helped

i can go on for a while

LOL one of the worse counter arguments ever.

I'm not saying we don't need help at OL, but plenty of posters are saying use both of our 1st rounders on OL - I wouldn't be surprised if we take our first OL in the 2nd.

If we did it wouldn't be a terrible thing either, but if we don't draft an OL in the 1st this place will go ape s**t. You can find good lineman outside of the 1st, I'd hope we stick to our guns and not reach just to fill a need on the OL in round 1.

You can also find mediocre players in the 2nd like Baas and Rachal. Iupati allows the OL to have ProBowl level stars. Talk about a playmaker.

So we are anointing Iupati a PB'er before he even steps on an NFL field and plays a down ?

Anoiting? Of course, that's not what I said. We can continue to discuss this if you read what's written. Also, don't overlook the argument that the OL needs stars just like at any area of the team. Iupati gives the Niners a great chance at supplying that.

[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 4, 2010 at 09:41:21 ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
The fascination is because he's a big OL 6-6, 330, who's got exceptionally fast feet. Like most Somoan's he's also exceptionally strong...and reports I've read recently say he's got the ability to play all positions on the OL...even C. So, it seems he represents tremendous value...as a kingpin on the OL for years. I'd love to see us get him and Anthony Davis, or one of the other top OT's...together, they'd be a huge boost to the OL.

Take a look at his Combine numbers. He's big, and he's got long arms.

But he does NOT have "exceptionally fast feet." To the contrary, out of those who performed at the combine, he might be considered, at best, to have average speed.

Or SLOW as NFL Combine puts it in their analysis of Iupati. "Has difficulty getting to the second level on running plays."

Irrespective of his heritage, he's not especially strong either, at least not according to his Combine bench press numbers. 23 reps, I believe. He was not a top performer in ANY drill at the Combine.

I think he'd be a reach at #17 and I'd be very surprised if the Niners took him there. In fact, other than some talking heads on NFL Network, there hasn't been much mention of Iupati over the past weeks--a sign that his stock has dropped?

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 4, 2010 at 10:34:18 ]
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
We're going with a zone blocking scheme so you better believe whatever OT we take has fast feet.
Originally posted by krizay:
What is everyone's fascination with correcting the spelling of "Lupati"??

That drives ME crazy more than the talk of taking him at #13. WTF does it matter if it's an I or an L. Has no bearing on the argument. Everyone knows who the hell the posters is talking about. I hope we don't draft LupatL at all personally! Bigger upgrades to be had at other positions.

Well my point is, if they don't even know how to spell his name they probably haven't even seen him play, but they are annointing him a pro bowler and a stud right tackle(a position he never even played in school) already? He's not even Mayock's top interior lineman, Maurkice Pouncey is. He didn't face a high level of competition at college, he has a tendency to hold, and he's not a bad athlete but he's not the great athlete everyone is saying he is just because he's from Samoa.
He's big, he's strong, he has long hair, he's Samoan, and he looks scary.
I would prefer to avoid Anthony Davis if the other 3 tackles are gone. I keep reading that Iupati can play RT and has the footwork to be a mauler tackle in addition to handling the bullrush. I would actually prefer him to Davis. Otherwise I think drafting a RT is rd 2 makes more sense.

Id rather have good proven players than draft potential.
nope, Davis is alot better and more natural at that position. Oline are big guys and arent always the workout warriors , as long as we have Sing and Ray Brown there he'll be a steal for us.
just play him at G where he dominate if we cant get RT then we should get iupati play hi as G and in R2 or R3 get our RT we can not go into the season with snyder as T

i would be pissed if we took any1 over the top 4 T especially spiller
Iupati looked awful at any position other than Left Guard at the senior bowl practices, he tested poorly athletically at the combine, and he never played tackle in his career. Sorry, but no.
I think first two rounds we go , OT OG and Gamechanger in whatever order. We took a chance getting the extra pick last season now we need to take a chance for a playmaker. Weather its Spiller, Dez, Best, Thomas, or Wilson.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Baalke and Sing have done their homework on Iupati. If they like him enough they'll take him as a guard or a tackle.
horrible idea putting iupati as an RT