LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

**AB's FINAL WZ Collaborative MOCK DRAFT** Rd. 4 Packers(AB) OTC

Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Solid pick by Dolphins. Their secondary is gonna be a beast with Smith, Davis, and now Allen.

definitely much better than the departed Wilson. I like the pick as well.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
broncos take Damian Williams. WR, USC
The New York Giants select Rutgers CB Devin McCourty

Shocked he was still available here in the middle of round 2. The Giants need help in the secondary and McCourty should be able to help immediately at the least as a 3rd CB. Should be able to push incumbent starters Corey Webster and Terrell Thomas as a rookie. Webster did not play to his usual standards last year and was beat consistently for TD's until his season ending injury late in the season.

McCourty should fit well in the teams new Tampa 2 D as well as become a great asset immediately on ST's. Solid return man and blocked 7 kicks in his career at Rutgers. The Giants would be very pleased to see him available at 46.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
The New York Giants select Rutgers CB Devin McCourty

Shocked he was still available here in the middle of round 2. The Giants need help in the secondary and McCourty should be able to help immediately at the least as a 3rd CB. Should be able to push incumbent starters Corey Webster and Terrell Thomas as a rookie. Webster did not play to his usual standards last year and was beat consistently for TD's until his season ending injury late in the season.

McCourty should fit well in the teams new Tampa 2 D as well as become a great asset immediately on ST's. Solid return man and blocked 7 kicks in his career at Rutgers. The Giants would be very pleased to see him available at 46.

I wrestled with myself over Best and McCourty for over an hour at the Rams pick. Giants will be extremely happy if he fell to their pick in the 2nd. I personally think he will get drafted at the top of 2nd (if not late 1st)
Yeah after trying unsuccessfully to trade with both the Bills and your Rams I was happy that he was able to still last till 46. Truthfully if I was able to somehow make the trade happen it would have been between McCourty and Best as well. It's well known that the Giants like Spiller but I believe Best would have been a nice consolation prize in the 2nd. I figured the Rams would go with McCourty so that's why i tried to jump in front of them. I'm honestly still not sure who i would have went with between the two.

The Giants defense last year was a huge disappointment so being able to add McClain and McCourty would be a step in the right direction for them.

[ Edited by BoiseNiner on Apr 6, 2010 at 21:24:14 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:
Yeah after trying unsuccessfully to trade with both the Bills and your Rams I was happy that he was able to still last till 46. Truthfully if I was able to somehow make the trade happen it would have been between McCourty and Best as well. It's well known that the Giants like Spiller but I believe Best would have been a nice consolation prize in the 2nd. I figured the Rams would go with McCourty so that's why i tried to jump in front of them. I'm honestly still not sure who i would have went with between the two.

The Giants defense last year was a huge disappointment so being able to add McClain and McCourty would be a step in the right direction for them.

Yeup, CB was a bigger need for Rams - so McCourty would have made a lot of sense too. But, Rams can do so much with Best. Give Jackson a breather, they can be great at ST again...and with Boldin out of the division and Warner retired - there isn't an explosive offense in NFC West. Rams can set the trend if all these pieces work out. And, there are only so many explosive players in the draft, gettin' one of Best's caliber at that stage was too much value IMO.

Landing McCourty is more than just a consolation price. I personally thought Ravens will go CB. Their secondary blows...! Now, Antonio Bryant is also in the division...
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Rams might trade Atogwe if an interesting offer is presented. Pleas send an offer if any team is interested.
Apparently there was a mix up with the cards as the Pats handed in their draft pick.

They REALLY meant to select their new 3-4 OLB.

NE takes Clemson DE/OLB, Ricky Sapp

[ Edited by TexasNiner on Apr 7, 2010 at 07:24:30 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
The Pats need another 3-4 OLB badly. But there are several available who they are interested in, and with another pick just 6 spots later, as well as talent potentially available in the 3rd round, this need can wait just a bit.

However, with Vince Wilfork possibly in his last season and Ron Brace still a bit of a question mark, the NE decided to make sure it's 3-4 is set at NT in the future one way or another.

The Patriots select North Carolinia DT, Cam Thomas

Strange pick. Ron Brace was drafted at the top of 2nd round just last year. Way too early to say he is a question mark IMO. And, why is Vince Wilfork in his last season? He just signed a 5 yr extension bro.

[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Apr 7, 2010 at 06:59:19 ]
The Pats need another 3-4 OLB badly. But there are several available who they are interested in, and with another pick just 6 spots later, as well as talent potentially available in the 3rd round, this need can wait just a bit.

However, with Vince Wilfork possibly in his last season and Ron Brace still a bit of a question mark, the NE decided to make sure it's 3-4 is set at NT in the future one way or another.

The Patriots select North Carolinia DT, Cam Thomas

Strange pick. Ron Brace was drafted at the top of 2nd round just last year. Way too early to say he is a question mark IMO. And, why is Vince Wilfork in his last season? He just signed a 5 yr extension bro.

Did he? I didn't realize that. I thought he was still on the Franchise tender and that there was talk he wouldn't be back next year. My bad. If had realized that, I would have gone another direction.

Even if that were true, there was a chance he would have resigned, but I didn't realize he had. The think was, with Wilfork potentially becoming a FA and Brace yet to prove himself, they would want insurance/options at once of the more critical positions in the 3-4. Plus with so many other teams either in or going to a 3-4, including divisional rivals, they would want to keep a key asset away from the other teams.

In my mind, that is how the Pats think. Both planning for the long term benefits and trying to outsmart their opponents. That way, if they resigned Vince and/or Brace worked out, they had valuable trade options. If not, they had another potential NT once Wilfork was gone.

But I didn't realize they had agreed on an extention. That definately would have changed my pick.

[ Edited by TexasNiner on Apr 7, 2010 at 07:04:17 ]

Given the new info. If you want, I'll redo the pick. I had missed the contract extention. Otherwise, I may be willing to listen to trade offers for Thomas.

But too much of a good thing in this particular area isn't so bad, so it won't come cheap. But if someone else who needs a NT wants to give up their second rounder for him, I may be interested.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Given the new info. If you want, I'll redo the pick. I had missed the contract extention. Otherwise, I may be willing to listen to trade offers for Thomas.

But too much of a good thing in this particular area isn't so bad, so it won't come cheap. But if someone else who needs a NT wants to give up their second rounder for him, I may be interested.

If you want you can change the pick or pull a trade for him, since you didn't know about the extension and no one else has picked after you...YET. But, lets make the future draft selections are FINAL.

Edit: To all managers, this will be not be allowed again. TexasNiner made a genuine mistake, so I'll allow him to change the pick. Let's be more careful next time.

[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Apr 7, 2010 at 07:20:25 ]
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Or maybe we can vote for it. I don't want people to call foul if Niners do draft Cam Thomas. I didn't realize my pick is just around the corner, so yea. If others are ok with it, TexasNiner can change his pick
  • krizay
  • Veteran

The funny thing is ACTUAL NEW ENGLAND fans. Think DL is still a need even with Wilfork back. As after Warren and Wilfork they don't have much on the line and they too think Brace is iffy.

But you guys do what you want!
Or maybe we can vote for it. I don't want people to call foul if Niners do draft Cam Thomas. I didn't realize my pick is just around the corner, so yea. If others are ok with it, TexasNiner can change his pick

I changed the pick (and have no issue changing it back if anyone has a problem).

But that was part of the thinking. With Carolina, KC, SF and Houston all picking before the Pat's next pick, they wanted to grab him before another 3-4 team did.

But with the knowledge of Vince's extention, they likely wouldn't be targeting a NT this early with Brace in the fold, so it's a non-issue.
Share 49ersWebzone