Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Our draft picks will be reflective of our staff's perceptions of what we already have.
1. We all believe that a RT is an important pick. This will of course depend upon what Solari/Singletary/Baalke see in Boone. If Boone has potential to be a RT then we could push our RT draft pick back to pick up Valdheer or Fox.
2. If Brooks and Briggs are developing at a satisfactory rate then we would not need to draft Graham in the 1st round but go for Hughes in the second or Misi in the 3rd.
3. I am at a lost as to what to think of T. Brown, or R. Smith, or Taylor. But we clearly need speed in the backfield. If we push RT and OLB back in the draft then we could go Haden and Thomas in the first round and still be pushing for a positive draft in our areas of need.
4. In the OTAs the staff was experimenting with RJF at NT. If that experiment showed some positive resultes we could hold off from D. Williams at NT. If the experiment did not show good results then D. Williams might be a good quality pick for us.
So there are number of variables at play in this draft. It looks like we will get some quality picks in the first round and it will reveal to us a lot of the coaching staff's perceptions of the quality on the team.
1. It is flawed thinking to think you can judge Boone from just OTAs the draft is less than a month away. He was on the practice squad for a reason, now if was part of the 53 man rost and played special teams in actual games, you'd have something to judge him by. can't afford to just and guess, besides Sims is only signed for a year and Bass has yet signed to a contract because they want to see who they can get. If anything, since Sims did a good job at LT, they slide Staley over to LT, but you still need someone to BU and prepare for the future.
2. This one I agree, I think Brooks showed promise, so the need is not as bad for a rush linebacker.
3. I think our CB is adequate, not great. but passable. But the need for speed and the need to move DG to SS to do what he likes to do and find centerfielder and Ballhawk makes E. Thomas something desirable since he can be like Lott in that he can come in and try and corner, if not FS is good.
4. We have Franklin for this year. though we need a backup, RJF is being tried, even if you got someone in the draft-unless it is named Suh or McCoy, don't expect him to be up to par on the same level.
5. special teams is what will affect us picking a DB, WR or RB. I say that punt returns for some reason fair better with players who are WR and DB on avg, running backs for KO returns. I gotta say that PR is more pressing 4yd avg just doesn't cut it. Gotta get it up to at least 11.
so OL, DB, are the most pressing as I see it and they do to proably. Least QB
then TE WR. After OL and DB, LB RB DL-not necessarily in that order.