LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 217 users in the forums

Mike Singletary and Trent Baalke are in Texas today to watch Dez Bryant

Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Don't reach too much into that

EXACTLY!!!! Coaches will take trips to scout a player that they will never draft. it's an old jedi trick. it throws off other teams especially teams in your division
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Don't reach too much into that

EXACTLY!!!! Coaches will take trips to scout a player that they will never draft. it's an old jedi trick. it throws off other teams especially teams in your division

Yeah but considering the USF pro day was today with JPP, Carlton Mitchell, Nate Allen, was today I don't think they would've gone if they weren't atleast a little interested.

I got to admit that even though I'm leary of his agent and his character issues I kind of hope he's there at 17, with that vert leap and broad jump he could be our jump ball guy maybe? Kind of like a poor man's TO but with better hands. I remember watching the guy last year the season he wasn't suspended and I thought he ran like he was angry at people. I dunno, it might be worth the risk.
It amazes me that people here r against us taking him...I wonder if people we're complaining on arizonia forums about taking Fitzgerald since bolden had such a phenominal rookie year the year before....come on yes its important to address year team weakness but also like Arizona explot year strenghts...bryant, crabs, Davis gore, mang if we have a qb we would be more talented then indy...oline is a major issue but I'd waste the remaining picks in the entire draft looking for a diamond tackle or guard just to aquire talent like dez
  • LA49erFan4ever
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 9er_84:
It amazes me that people here r against us taking him...I wonder if people we're complaining on arizonia forums about taking Fitzgerald since bolden had such a phenominal rookie year the year before....come on yes its important to address year team weakness but also like Arizona explot year strenghts...bryant, crabs, Davis gore, mang if we have a qb we would be more talented then indy...oline is a major issue but I'd waste the remaining picks in the entire draft looking for a diamond tackle or guard just to aquire talent like dez

same here..to be honest id be happy if we drafted either dez or cj spiller...like i said before dez not only will boost our wr corps but also give us the talent we need on ST..
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Bryant, Crabtree, Vernon and Gore
I'd take him at 17 hands down. The guy is 6'2 220. A 4.52 is pretty good at that size. He's not Percy Harvin.

My 1st round would be 13. Williams 17. Bryant/Haden (Haden before Bryant if both are on the board.
man if he is there at 13 we take him

or

1 goes of those picks needs to be invested in oline
Originally posted by noobie:
I'd take him at 17 hands down. The guy is 6'2 220. A 4.52 is pretty good at that size. He's not Percy Harvin.

My 1st round would be 13. Williams 17. Bryant/Haden (Haden before Bryant if both are on the board.

Also remember that more physical players play closer to their 40 time than smallish players. They're stronger, so they can carry the extra weight better.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

or

I agree -- I'd take him at 13 too. Unless Bulaga slips to 13, the 49ers are going to take the best player available at 13. That may very well be Dez Bryant.

At 17, we can get Iupati, Brown, or maybe even Davis.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by ads_2006:

or

I agree -- I'd take him at 13 too. Unless Bulaga slips to 13, the 49ers are going to take the best player available at 13. That may very well be Dez Bryant.

At 17, we can get Iupati, Brown, or maybe even Davis.

If we can get Gaither for a 2nd we aren't even having this discussion. The Gaither makes so much sense in this talented and deep draft pool that I can't believe we haven't already pulled the trigger.

NFL is the only place in the world I can think of that values an unknown commodity over a known commodity.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 31, 2010 at 13:06:02 ]

I would be VERY angry if the Niners took Bryant ahead of Trent Williams, Joe Haden, or CJ Spiller at #13. I just dont see the need to take another WR when we have much more pressing needs.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I would be VERY angry if the Niners took Bryant ahead of Trent Williams, Joe Haden, or CJ Spiller at #13. I just dont see the need to take another WR when we have much more pressing needs.

I will be very angry if we take Spiller or Bryant. we have more pressing needs than a WR and a RB
Smoke Screen.
Now, take this with a grain of salt, because it is from Mel Kiper Jr., but when he was asked to compare Bryant to Crabtree coming out last year, he responded with:

"No chance. He's not in Crabtree's league. People wanted to take a lot of shots at Crabtree. He was coming off his foot injury, he didn't run, he played for Texas Tech, his route running. But he had a heckuva year, after sitting out as long as he did. In my rating scale, Dez Bryant won't be as high. Crabtree was one of the top 3 players in the draft last year. Bryant won't be in my top 10."

This basically backs what I feel in that Bryant isn't going to be the special star that Crabtree will be; however, if he is there at 17, I would have to imagine that he would be BPA at that point, or at least very close to it.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Found this interesting, funny how 2 professionals can have such a different opinion. I guess that's why some teams are consistently good or bad.

So all the talk surrounding Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant's workout focused on his inconsistent 40-yard dash times and the fact that he left his cleats at home. What I found interesting was that two teams have completely different views on Dez and his workout. Here ya go:

Evaluator from Team 1: "Dez ran a low 4.5 two out of the three times which tells me that the slower 40 time was a fluke. When you are 6'2 and 220 pounds, there is NOTHING wrong with a 4.5. NOTHING. His vertical and broad jump were terrific. He is a tremendous on tape. There just isn't anything not to like about him on tape and his numbers from his pro day are fine with me. The reason he'll fall with teams has nothing to do with his pro day, it will have to do with the kid. If you aren't comfortable with the kid, then his numbers aren't big enough to make you reconsider. If you are okay with the kid, then the measurements and the tape are more than good enough for you."

Evaluator from Team 2: "Dez's workout was a joke and just reinforced what I already thought about the kid. He had his entourage with — the entire posse. After all the (stuff) he's pulled so far, he needed to show some professionalism at his pro day and he failed to do that. He didn't look like he had prepared much for the workout and he even forgot his shoes! How do you forget your shoes when you are auditioning for millions of dollars? He's even more stupid than I thought. He's a very immature kid and he's got bust written all over him even though he has great talent."
Share 49ersWebzone