There are 243 users in the forums

espn. 9ers eyeing spiller

Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Im calling it now, Spiller won't be available at 13. I predict Buffalo or Miami will take him or someone will trade up for him ahead of us.

C.J. Spiller could be climbing the ladder
Posted by Mike Florio on March 29, 2010 7:31 AM ET
There's a sense in some league circles that only a truly special running back is worthy of a top-ten draft pick.

If so, it means that some regard Clemson's C.J. Spiller as a truly special running back.

We're hearing talk of teams possibly trying to invade the lower reaches of the top 10 in order to get a crack at Spiller, with rumors currently focusing on the Dolphins and the Giants.

The Dolphins currently hold the No. 12 pick; the Giants are at 15.

Dolphins won't be going running back. Everyone knows that they need help at d-line and pass rusher. So Dan Williams, McClain, or JPP will be their pick.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Im calling it now, Spiller won't be available at 13. I predict Buffalo or Miami will take him or someone will trade up for him ahead of us.

There's a sense in some league circles that only a truly special running back is worthy of a top-ten draft pick.

If so, it means that some regard Clemson's C.J. Spiller as a truly special running back.

We're hearing talk of teams possibly trying to invade the lower reaches of the top 10 in order to get a crack at Spiller, with rumors currently focusing on the Dolphins and the Giants.

Dolphins won't be going running back. Everyone knows that they need help at d-line and pass rusher. So Dan Williams, McClain, or JPP will be their pick.

Not everything makes sense on draft day. If they want Spiller they will take him. Shoot, other fans are probably saying we wouldn't take Spiller either because we have Gore.

Not everything makes sense on draft day. If they want Spiller they will take him. Shoot, other fans are probably saying we wouldn't take Spiller either because we have Gore.

You're right about picks rarely making sense, but with the Dolphins losing Ferguson, Porter, and Taylor on defense, I'm sure they'll be looking at those guys I listed. Maybe even Brandon Graham, who they coached at the Senior Bowl.
Originally posted by NinerGM:

You're right about picks rarely making sense, but with the Dolphins losing Ferguson, Porter, and Taylor on defense, I'm sure they'll be looking at those guys I listed. Maybe even Brandon Graham, who they coached at the Senior Bowl.

I can see the Dolphis draft Spiller IF Parcells wasn't the GM.

Yup. And we all know how much he LOVES drafting pass rushers.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:

Miami would really surprise me. Ginn is not the Hester/Cribbs that they hoped he would be, but he is still solid. They have Williams and Brown (depending on his possible suspension). I would think defense or O-line is more of a priority for them. Then again, some people would say the same about the Niners.

Buffalo wouldnt really surprise me either, but they do have Roscoe Parrish as a return man, and a couple solid RBs (depending on what happens with Lynch). I wouldnt think RB and return man would be their biggest need either.

I am not counting on him being there are 13, but even if he is, I am not getting my hopes up that the Niners will draft him.

What's solid about having a receiver that drops pass after pass? Miami was on the verge of cutting his ass, but fortunate enough for Ginn the week after he had a big game giving the Dolphins false hopes by sticking with him.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by pd24:
Originally posted by oklasooners:
If anyone has the espn insider can you tell me what it says on that atricle? I dont have insider and everygood rumor is an insider. Its about the 9ers now wanting spiller.

I would guess they took the recent piece in the Bee from Barrows and ran with it.

thats what they usually do.

...and they (ESPN) have the nerve to charge you for this. like the have some highly placed inside source.. ESPN Insider is a complete waste of money.
How does Spiller compare to Leon Washinton?

They seem very similar to me.
Originally posted by susweel:
I just read it. It says that we are gonna draft CJ Spiller and that info was leaked to espn from the assistant janitor at the 49er facility.

That damn squealer.
Great, we go and get a speedy running back who will have no holes to hit.

By the way, hows he at picking up a blitz, cause we all saw the onslaught of defensive players in our backfield on both passing and running plays.
Originally posted by Butter:
I like the idea of Spiller, but I think I'd rather draft a CB/KR at #17 or #49, and a WR/KR and RB/KR later in the draft. That way, they'll have several options to choose from at positions that can use some depth.

I'd rather have Spiller than a bunch of crappy second-tier options. Spiller will see the field, in one form or another, can't say the same thing about all the other options you suggest.

I doubt we take him but we should.

~ He may be gone by the time we pick.
~ If he is there I bet you the 49ers pass on him for somebody else.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I doubt we take him but we should.

~ He may be gone by the time we pick.
~ If he is there I bet you the 49ers pass on him for somebody else.

Way to break it down. That is deep.
* Asked about a three-running back situation -- a possibility raised by Baalke on Friday -- Gore said he might be worried about getting into a rhythm if he wasn't the running back of first-third downs. "Personally I wouldn't like it," he said.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/smith-niners-mu.html#ixzz0jbjjH5LY

lol gore is such a baby
* Asked about a three-running back situation -- a possibility raised by Baalke on Friday -- Gore said he might be worried about getting into a rhythm if he wasn't the running back of first-third downs. "Personally I wouldn't like it," he said.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/smith-niners-mu.html#ixzz0jbjjH5LY

lol gore is such a baby

Gore is the type of back who gets better the more carries he gets, Thats why i think it would be stupid for us to get another RB.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by valrod33:

lol gore is such a baby

Gore is the type of back who gets better the more carries he gets, Thats why i think it would be stupid for us to get another RB.

Until he's hurt, or he racks up so many carries he's burned out before the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone