There are 165 users in the forums

Trading down

There has been some talk about trading up for some guys, but i believe this should be a very good draft for a trade down this year. The end of the 1st and 2nd round look stacked with good players. So why not take an OT at #13 and try to trade away #17. There would be two teams, which could be interested in trading up :

1) Trade with the Cowboys : #17 for #27 and #59 : The cowboys could be interested in getting ahead of the texans and steelers to be able to pick Iuapti at #17.

2) Trade with the Jets : #17 for #29 and #61: The jets could try to get Dan Williams or Brandon Graham if they slip down.

Both trades would give the niners a pick at the bottom of the 1st and the bottom of the 2nd round. Some guys who should be available there are :

Bottom 1st :
Jahvid Best
Kyle Wilson
Devin MCourty
Maurkice Pouncey
Charles Brown
Jerry Hughes
Mount Cody
Rodger Saffold

Bottom 2nd:
Kareem Jackson
Sean Lee
Chad Jones
Morgan Burnett
Jeff Asamoah
Dexter McCluster

So it would be possible to leave this draft with :

#13 : Trent Williams
#27 : Jerry Hughes
#49 : Chad Jones
#59 : Dexter McCluster

or

#27 : Jahvid Best
#49 : Kareem Jackson
#59 : Jon Asamoah
Trent Williams will be gone by #13 guarantee.
Would be nice as long as we get our tackle at #13.
The niners need game changers, not blue chip solid players.

I would be for trading UP using our second and third to move up, thus securing 3 top tier players.

13 Spiller
17 Brandon Graham
2nd nd third round pick trade up to grab OT Charles brown from USC.

Or
13 OT if one available
17 Brandom Grham
2nd and 3rd trade up to grab Jahvid Best.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
These are the 2 possible trades I see going down.

The #17 and #113 to the Texans for #20 & #81 so they can move up 3 spots to nab a falling and overrated Joe Haden.

In which I would go #13 Graham and #20 Dez Bryant (I see him dropping to the 20's as well)

or

The #17 to Philadelphia for #24 & #70 so they can move up 7 spots to nab a falling and overrated Joe Haden.

In which I would go #13 Graham and #24 Charles Brown or Golden Tate
Originally posted by stever:
There has been some talk about trading up for some guys, but i believe this should be a very good draft for a trade down this year. The end of the 1st and 2nd round look stacked with good players. So why not take an OT at #13 and try to trade away #17. There would be two teams, which could be interested in trading up :

1) Trade with the Cowboys : #17 for #27 and #59 : The cowboys could be interested in getting ahead of the texans and steelers to be able to pick Iuapti at #17.

2) Trade with the Jets : #17 for #29 and #61: The jets could try to get Dan Williams or Brandon Graham if they slip down.

Both trades would give the niners a pick at the bottom of the 1st and the bottom of the 2nd round. Some guys who should be available there are :

Bottom 1st :
Jahvid Best
Kyle Wilson
Devin MCourty
Maurkice Pouncey
Charles Brown
Jerry Hughes
Mount Cody
Rodger Saffold

Bottom 2nd:
Kareem Jackson
Sean Lee
Chad Jones
Morgan Burnett
Jeff Asamoah
Dexter McCluster

So it would be possible to leave this draft with :

#27 : Jerry Hughes
#49 : Chad Jones
#59 : Dexter McCluster

or

#27 : Jahvid Best
#49 : Kareem Jackson
#59 : Jon Asamoah

Why not trade up AND down? Send the 13 and 17 to KC for the 5 and 36?

If we're not going to trade up for an OT, might as well trade down...

I like that (assuming Okung doesn't go to the Lions at #2). Very creative. We could walk away with Okung and J. Best (most likely) and still have #49 for an OG, CB, WR, OLB, or S. Makes sense for KC too.
Originally posted by dbdublin:

I like that (assuming Okung doesn't go to the Lions at #2). Very creative. We could walk away with Okung and J. Best (most likely) and still have #49 for an OG, CB, WR, OLB, or S. Makes sense for KC too.
Because my intention was to get more picks in the bottom of the first and the 2nd round. This is the part of the draft that looks very stacked at the moment.
  • sfbuckeye49
  • Info N/A
What about spiller available at 13 we trade down with the chargers who need a rb.
Originally posted by sfbuckeye49:
What about spiller available at 13 we trade down with the chargers who need a rb.

If the chargers wan't to trade up to get a RB, they will trade up a few spots to pick up Ryan Mathews. He projects much better as an every down back. And the chargers have Sproles as their return and speed guy, too.

Originally posted by stever:
Originally posted by dbdublin:

Because my intention was to get more picks in the bottom of the first and the 2nd round. This is the part of the draft that looks very stacked at the moment.
There would be a ton of options at #36; this draft is so deep, a star will drop to #36...I'm thinking one of the OLBs like Sergio Kindle or Jerry Hughes.

Another option at 36 (if he slips) is C Maurkice Pouncey...He also plays guard.
If we trade down from #17 we may be able to get 2 2nd rounders. Plus the 2 firsts. One at #13 and whatever we trade down from #17 to. I think this makes sense. Stay put at #13 as you may get an elite player. I'm not as excited about #17 because you are talking more mid 1st round. It's good but not great players there. An extra pick in the 2nd would be real awesome. Imagine 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. We could really fill some holes if we hit on all those. I actually like this scenario BTW. I just doubt the 49ers will do it. And even if they wanted to do it they may not find a team who does want to do it.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 29, 2010 at 06:47:50 ]
I would have no problem with this strategy if we get out OT with pick 13.

Lots of talent this year in the first 2 rounds and if we do our homework we could come away with 4 starters with this approach, plus save a little cash to help resign our free agents next year.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
If we trade down from #17 we may be able to get 2 2nd rounders. Plus the 2 firsts. One at #13 and whatever we trade down from #17 to. I think this makes sense. Stay put at #13 as you may get an elite player. I'm not as excited about #17 because you are talking more mid 1st round. It's good but not great players there. An extra pick in the 2nd would be real awesome. Imagine 4 picks in the first 2 rounds. We could really fill some holes if we hit on all those. I actually like this scenario BTW. I just doubt the 49ers will do it. And even if they wanted to do it they may not find a team who does want to do it.

If a mid 1st only offers " not great players", why would the players left an entire round later have as much impact?
If you want 4 picks in the first 2 rounds, which I'll totally second that motion, trade our 2011 1st round+ to NE. for their #22 this yr.,then 4 starters is more realistic.
Share 49ersWebzone