There are 169 users in the forums

Interesting trade-up possibility

Using the draft value calculator, it is an even trade if we send #13 and #17 for picks 3 - 6 and that team's 2nd rounder. If we traded up for Okung at #5, for example, we'd send the 13 and 17 to them and get the #36 back. We would then have Friday picks at 36, 49, and 79.

I really think Okung is the only player worth trading into the Top 5 for. Zoners who want to trade up for a safety (Berry) have a little too much space between the ears. Who the hell trades up for a safety???
Depends how far Berry falls. I am not suggesting we trade up to a top 6 pick to get Berry. But if that man is available at pick 9 or so then I would definitely want 49ers brass to entertain moving up.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Depends how far Berry falls. I am not suggesting we trade up to a top 6 pick to get Berry. But if that man is available at pick 9 or so then I would definitely want 49ers brass to entertain moving up.

I don't even think Berry is the best S in this class...Earl Thomas is (Mike Mayock agrees)
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Using the draft value calculator, it is an even trade if we send #13 and #17 for picks 3 - 6 and that team's 2nd rounder. If we traded up for Okung at #5, for example, we'd send the 13 and 17 to them and get the #36 back. We would then have Friday picks at 36, 49, and 79.

I really think Okung is the only player worth trading into the Top 5 for. Zoners who want to trade up for a safety (Berry) have a little too much space between the ears. Who the hell trades up for a safety???

The Steelers traded up for Polamalu. That worked out pretty well for them.
Originally posted by BoiseNiner:

The Steelers traded up for Polamalu. That worked out pretty well for them.

To the middle of the first round (from 27 to 16) -- not the top of the draft,

I don't even think Berry is the best S in this class...Earl Thomas is (Mike Mayock agrees)

Then you and Mayock are in the minority.

And I don't understand why people are against taking a safety high. Yes, one can point to players like Ed Reed and Troy Polumalu who have been taking in the mid to late first round, but they were still the top safety prospects. If you were able to redo the draft, I am sure those two would be in the top 5 for sure. People are starting to realize that a GREAT safety can be as important to a defense as a DE, DT, LB ect.

Then you and Mayock are in the minority.

And I don't understand why people are against taking a safety high. Yes, one can point to players like Ed Reed and Troy Polumalu who have been taking in the mid to late first round, but they were still the top safety prospects. If you were able to redo the draft, I am sure those two would be in the top 5 for sure. People are starting to realize that a GREAT safety can be as important to a defense as a DE, DT, LB ect.

Because it is simply not a position that you need to draft that high, like guard. Many safeties were corners who couldn't cut it, just as many guards were tackles who couldn't cut it. What do you do with a safety who flops (see: Roy Williams)? At least with Earl Thomas you can move him to nickel.
Okung is the only lineman worth taking in the first round imo, and is worthy of trading up for.

There is no other lineman worth either of our first round picks PERIOD.

Oher was taken #23 last year and is much better than Bulaga, T. Williams, A. Davis, Campbell, Brown, or Saffold. Anyone of these linemen that everyone on this site has a hard-on over just isn't worth a first round pick in my book.
If the draft calculator is the the only method used, you are still short.

Chiefs 5, 36

Niners 13, 17, and either 4th or next years 3rd.

That being said, I REALLY want this option.

Okung, Kareem Jackson, Morgan Burnett, Eric Norwood!
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Chiefs 5, 36

You're incorrect; 5 and 36 for 13 and 17 is a 20 point shortfall -- FOR the CHIEFS. By that metric, they should throw in a 6th rounder for us.

Looking at trades over the past few years, the draft trade chart is worthless (so top-heavy) and the calculator is much better. Look at the Browns-Jets trade. By the chart's standards, the Browns should have gotten TWO #1s for their pick. But with the calculator, it was a perfect trade.

According to the worthless chart, the Chiefs should get our #13, our 2nd, AND our 3rd.

Chiefs 5, 36

You're incorrect; 5 and 36 for 13 and 17 is a 20 point shortfall -- FOR the CHIEFS. By that metric, they should throw in a 6th rounder for us.

Looking at trades over the past few years, the draft trade chart is worthless (so top-heavy) and the calculator is much better. Look at the Browns-Jets trade. By the chart's standards, the Browns should have gotten TWO #1s for their pick. But with the calculator, it was a perfect trade.

According to the worthless chart, the Chiefs should get our #13, our 2nd, AND our 3rd.

Good Call,

So... Do you want the 5th and 17th or 5th, 36th, 49th, and 79th

No.

We are sitting pretty right now. Stay where we are.
  • evil
  • Veteran

When that safety can also play corner and is an elite DB who played at a high level like Berry did, it's understandable why people would want to trade up for him.

Same reason why teams do take safety's in the top 10, worked out pretty well when the 49ers took Ronnie Lott and when the Steelers did the same with Rod Woodson, who were both DB's who like Berry could play CB or S.

While I am not comparing Berry to either, I am simply pointing out that when the consensus across the nation is that a player is one of the 5 best in his entire draft class, it comes with no surprise that fans want to trade up for said prospect.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Also please explain how the draft calculator is more reliable than the value chart ? How do you know NFL teams rely on it ?

Mike Sando references the chart here when discusssing the Seahawks trade for Whitehurst in his blog. I have yet to see anything that says this armchair GM David Dodd's calculator has any relevance whatsoever as compared to constant references by national media and football analysts to the value chart. Albeit the value chart is now older and possibly has been modified by some teams it still is what seems most relevant.

Chiefs 5, 36

Good Call,

So... Do you want the 5th and 17th or 5th, 36th, 49th, and 79th

Personally, I would trade them the #17 and the 2011 first rounder; next year is going to be so weak. A rule of thumb is that 'next year' picks are worth 50% of current year.

But if that can't happen, I'd prefer to keep the #17 and #49 and send them the #13 and #79 (and a 5th or 6th rounder to even it up). I'd take Okung, Kyle Wilson, and the best edge rusher available at #49 (Jerry Hughes?).

Any scenario where we get Okung is good though. Jahvid Best would be there at #36, and a load of superstars could be there at 13.
Share 49ersWebzone