There are 187 users in the forums

10 yard split times

Here's a good article on the 10-yard split times at the 2010 combine showing who did well and who didn't: 10-yard splits

In my opinion, the 10 yard split is much more important to the value of a football player than his 40 time, since the 10-yard demonstrates his initial quickness, which is key in the NFL. Some of the names that popped out to me were Brandon Ghee, Major Wright, Jamar Chaney (who the niners are interested in as a possible TED ILB), Taylor Mays (of course, the kid is an athletic freak), and Ryan Matthews (the fact that he had a 1.51 split with his size means he will be in impressive primary RB in the NFL imo).

In all honesty, I had wanted for the niners to select a safety in the 4th round, and if Wright is there, I think he'd be a phenomenal addition, especcially with this split time. The player I don't know much about is Brandon Ghee, but the more I hear about him, the more he continues to impress me.

For those who don't know, defenders and pass rushers are considered at an elite level if they have a 10-yard split of about 1.55 or under. Clay Matthews stunned everyone last year when he hit 1.49 on his split, and it was one of the main reasons I had wanted the niners to move back into the 1st and snag him. Anyways, take a look at those times and tell me what you can make of it!
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
C.J. Spiller-- 10 yd split time 1.46 seconds!
Split times dont mean a whole lot for a CB or safety. They need the timed speed more so than a quick burst. Dont get me wrong the quick burst is nice. But it doesnt do you a whole lot of good when a guy is running a go route right passed you.
Originally posted by cupcheck:
C.J. Spiller-- 10 yd split time 1.46 seconds!

Nice
Originally posted by Dominate:
Split times dont mean a whole lot for a CB or safety. They need the timed speed more so than a quick burst. Dont get me wrong the quick burst is nice. But it doesnt do you a whole lot of good when a guy is running a go route right passed you.

agreed
Share 49ersWebzone