LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Hindsight is 20/20,

and I'm a huge, huge Crabtree fan (I like him as a prospect better than Dez Bryant), but which combination would you rather have?

Drafting Oher last year and Bryant this year, or Crabtree this year and either Williams or Davis this year?

I think it's an interesting question.
Oher/Bryant
Crabtrees the future man.

Crabtree/Spiller/ and whoever we get with the second pick
Originally posted by Schulzy:
and I'm a huge, huge Crabtree fan (I like him as a prospect better than Dez Bryant), but which combination would you rather have?

Drafting Oher last year and Bryant this year, or Crabtree this year and either Williams or Davis this year?

I really like what I saw Crabtree do last season in the NFL. The fact that he was able to step in so late and perform so well was really impressive. Maybe Bryant will be the same or better. But there is no way of knowing until he steps on the field. There is always the "bust" factor that is causes for concern. Playmakers are hard to come by. The fact that it looks the Niners got one is a relief. Conversly, maybe a Williams or a Davis won't pan out. But I think it would be easier to fill a line spot with at least a competent player than it is to get a guy like Crabtree.
I love that we got Crabtree last year! After watching the Blindside movie & watching Oher play I wish we would have traded back into the 1st round to get him last year.

Why not both? Trade up from 17 for Okung and take Dez at 13.
Also, I do think that the Crabtree/OT combo would help us win next year more than the Oher/Bryant combo.

My reasoning is that it's likely that a rookie RT can step in and contribute successfully right away, along with a 2nd year of Crabtree - who could totally break out in his 2nd year with a full TC and another year in the offense.
Also, I do think that the Crabtree/OT combo would help us win next year more than the Oher/Bryant combo.

My reasoning is that it's likely that a rookie RT can step in and contribute successfully right away, along with a 2nd year of Crabtree - who could totally break out in his 2nd year with a full TC and another year in the offense.

Excellent point; every position takes a different amount of time to mature. running backs, interior offensive linemen, and linebackers can contribute right away. QBs, WRs, defensive linemen, and left tackles take a while.

That's why the trade-up for Staley was worth it. Staley in year 4 at left tackle will be much better than Chris Williams, Branden Albert Gosder Cherilus, and Duane Brown in their third years (exempted Ryan Clady because he's been a home-run pick for them)
20/20 = Crabtree/Oher in 2009 > than #17 pick in 2010!

McC's reluctuance to pull the trigger ala the Staley scenario in 2007 to get Oher when Detroit passed on him was a total misopty/failure. He claimed cost being too high ! ?

20/20....the cost would have been 2009's #2, #3 & #4....or no Coffee plus #2 & #4 - which were traded away to Carolina for its 2010 #1 pick ( #17 ).

Oher at #23 in 2009 for 49ers = playoffs, > value than any OL pick @ #17 in 2010....and paid at #23 in 2009 dollars.

Originally posted by 4089er:

McC's reluctuance to pull the trigger ala the Staley scenario in 2007 to get Oher when Detroit passed on him was a total misopty/failure. He claimed cost being too high ! ?

20/20....the cost would have been 2009's #2, #3 & #4....or no Coffee plus #2 & #4 - which were traded away to Carolina for its 2010 #1 pick ( #17 ).

Oher at #23 in 2009 for 49ers = playoffs, > value than any OL pick @ #17 in 2010....and paid at #23 in 2009 dollars.

I understand your reasoning, but no guarantees had we traded back up and got Oher, would we of been a playoff team. But would of loved to have Oher anyway, Heck wouldnt of minded him at 10 definately worthy of the 10 slot.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Oher is good, but I like me my Crabs. Give me Spiller and Brown over Oher and Bryant.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by 4089er:

I understand your reasoning, but no guarantees had we traded back up and got Oher, would we of been a playoff team. But would of loved to have Oher anyway, Heck wouldnt of minded him at 10 definately worthy of the 10 slot.

True on no guaranty on making the playoffs, however, 20/20 our OL would have performed better and will look better for the future w/ Staley and Oher as bookend OTs....who knows maybe w/ a better functioning OL - the QB position may have played out differently ?

Anyhow, if Sing had wanted Oher as an OT @ #10 and he was avail @ #23 ..... ?
Share 49ersWebzone