There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kalens Mock Offseason #3

My first 2 mocks haven't exactly gone down too well. (Singing TO in my first one and trading for Brandon Marshall in my second one). Gonna try to avoid that this time around. My mock is based on the idea that I think our offense pretty much sucks and needs all the talent it can get. While the defense just needs a tweak here and there to be more than capable of being a playoff caliber defense. Here goes.......

Free Agency
Chester Pitts OG - Would be a solid addition to the line. If healthy he could push to start at LG ahead of Baas.

Draft Picks 1-17
St. Louis - Sam Bradford
Detroit - Ndamukong Suh
Tampa Bay - Gerald McCoy
Washington - Russell Okung
Kansas City - Eric Berry
Seattle - Brian Bulaga
Cleveland - Joe Haden
Oakland - Bruce Campbell
Buffalo - Jimmy Clausen
Jacksonville - Jason Pierre Paul
Denver - Rolando McClain
Miami - Dan Williams
San Francisco - Trent Williams OT - Oklahoma
Seattle - CJ Spiller
New York Giants - Anthony Davis
Tennessee - Derrick Morgan
San Francisco - Dez Bryant WR - Oklahoma State

With Trent Williams we get the RT we so desperately need.
With Dez Bryant we get another playmaker opposite of Crabtree. With Crabtree, Bryant, Morgan and Vernon, Alex will have a real nice set of weapons to work with for years.

Round 2 - Dexter McCluster RB/KR/PR Ole Miss
He didn't run the best 40 time at the combine and seems to have dropped on peoples board. However i still think this guy would be excellent value here. A major weapon in the return game (which we sorely need) and a guy who's capable of taking it to the house. Would be effective of dump off passes and screen passes.

Round 3 - Chad Jones S LSU
No more Mark Roman! Thats all I have to say

Round 4 - Ricky Sapp DE/OLB Clemson
Has issues regarding his knees, talentwise is better than a 4th round prospect.

Round 5 - Best available CB (Javier Arenas perhaps??)

Rounds 6 and 7 - BPA (Maybe that Guard for Texas Tech who always paints that crap on his face?)

Say hello to a few of our newest players.

Trent Williams

love it
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I love both Bryant and McCluster but think it may be a bit of an overkill with both. McCluster would see more time in the slot at WR than he would RB. Which means one of Bryant or Morgan won't be on the field when he is.

Replace Bryant with Graham or McCluster with a CB and you're set.

[ Edited by krizay on Mar 27, 2010 at 09:24:26 ]
and you have to play against CJ Spiller twice a year. NOt a good idea
I agree with krizay to replace Bryant with Graham but I still like the first round. I hope Morgan falls that far because otherwise I'm not sure we have a chance at Graham.
I am no fan of drafting Dez Bryant and don't see him falling that far, but i can see what the thought behind this is and the mock looks realistic.
What i don't like is your mid round picks. Chad Jones is a great safety, what is the reason that he will go in round 2, not three. Sapp just has to much talent to fall the far. He is projected as a second rounder, too. And Arenas is the third guy who won't nearly be availabe where you pick him up.
Not a big fan of Williams...he hasn't proven he can play LT...and to take a guy to only play RT that early in the draft isn't good value. You can do better...by taking a guy who can play both OT positions. As Singletary's said, if he gets someone who's a better LT than Staley, he'd move Joe back to RT. I see no way Bryant falls to #17...I'd expect Denver to take him, given the Marshall scenario. I'd go ahead and take Iupati at #17...then the OL's done. Singletary/Baalke would have the remaining 7 picks to address other positions. I'd go CB in the 2nd, since it's a critical position and this is most likely Clements' last season in SF. I like Kareen Jackson...very solid CB who makes plays. In 3rd, you could go pass rusher/DE. 4th, I'd take Rolle or Robert Johnson, both S. 5th rd you could get a RB...or a KR. 6th rd on, OL/DL/LB depth.
Not a chance that Sapp falls to the 4th round, I expect him to go late first or early second, so I don't know where you got 4th from. I also don't see Chad Jones making i out of the 2nd round, he'll probably be gone in the middle of the 2nd.
Originally posted by Niners23:
Not a chance that Sapp falls to the 4th round, I expect him to go late first or early second, so I don't know where you got 4th from. I also don't see Chad Jones making i out of the 2nd round, he'll probably be gone in the middle of the 2nd.

stranger things have certainly happened, WebZone sensation Stanley McClover ring any bells?!?!?!?!?!?!?! We all had him pegged 2nd round .....fell to the 7th....
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by Niners23:

stranger things have certainly happened, WebZone sensation Stanley McClover ring any bells?!?!?!?!?!?!?! We all had him pegged 2nd round .....fell to the 7th....

Exactly there are a million and one examples of it. I got it from walterfootball.com anyways.
Originally posted by krizay:
I love both Bryant and McCluster but think it may be a bit of an overkill with both. McCluster would see more time in the slot at WR than he would RB. Which means one of Bryant or Morgan won't be on the field when he is.

To be honest I'm just not a big Morgan fan. I think he would be best suited to a #3 spot. I agree it may be overkill with Bryant and McCluster but imagine having, Crabtree, Bryant, McCluster, Vernon and Gore in on 3rd down plays. That it littered with talent. And with the addition of Pitts and Trent Williams our o-line would be improved too.

I think our offensive weapons are overrated. Look at the first half of so many games (Green Bay, Detroit and St.Louis) we did next to nothing. Our 3rd down conversion rate and inability to go stretches without getting first downs killed the defense.

I can see why you may consider it overkill but to me the offense (Alex Smith in particular) needs all the help he can get.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I agree with krizay to replace Bryant with Graham but I still like the first round. I hope Morgan falls that far because otherwise I'm not sure we have a chance at Graham.

Agree. Would rather have Graham.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by krizay:

To be honest I'm just not a big Morgan fan. I think he would be best suited to a #3 spot. I agree it may be overkill with Bryant and McCluster but imagine having, Crabtree, Bryant, McCluster, Vernon and Gore in on 3rd down plays. That it littered with talent. And with the addition of Pitts and Trent Williams our o-line would be improved too.

I think our offensive weapons are overrated. Look at the first half of so many games (Green Bay, Detroit and St.Louis) we did next to nothing. Our 3rd down conversion rate and inability to go stretches without getting first downs killed the defense.

I can see why you may consider it overkill but to me the offense (Alex Smith in particular) needs all the help he can get.

I agree to an Extent. But getting Morgan essentially drops Morgan to #4. I'm not all that sold on him as a #2 either. He'd be #3 (4 if you count Vern) with Bryant and essentially #3 (4) with McCluster. (though in the lineup on 2 WR sets) To me Morgan is a better #3 option at WR than Lawson is a #2 pass rusher or Brown is the #3 CB.

So getting only one of them pushes either Lawson or Brown down the depth chart as oppose to pushing our #3 receiving option down spots.
damn chad jones in the 3rd ? i picked him in the 1st in the webzone mock
Its a really good draft, but...

Williams (probably) will be gone with Lions, Skins, Chiefs, Bills, and Raiders in the market for a OT. It would be great tho.

And I dont think Bryant is feasible. Niners brass doesn't want 2 1st rounders on WR.