There are 175 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Baalke's Draft Philosophy

--The 49ers enter the draft with an open mind, as far as drafting offensive tackles. Baalke said the versatility of Joe Staley makes it possible for the 49ers to get a left or right tackle in the draft and then decide what makes the 49ers' offensive line stronger.

--Baalke talked about having three solid running backs on a team, citing the Cowboys as where the league seems to be heading. The 49ers have two running backs, Frank Gore and Glen Coffee, who have similar styles. Baalke said there is definitely room on the 49ers for a Jahvid Best-type of player. (Baalke was asked specifically about Best.) But he said any interest in Best, or a player of his ilk, is not a change in 49ers philosophy.

--Baalke said he and McCloughan share similar philosophies about size, intelligence, competitiveness and intangibles when evaluating players. He likes big players, but he said "there are exceptions." He said he likes to take it on a case-by-case basis.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/baalke-comfortable-with-49ers-qbs-and-not-interested-in-pacman.html#fb

Interesting. Veeeeery interesting. This certainly changes your draft boards ladies and gents.[/left]
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
He didn't say anything really. I like this, but I'm not afraid to do that. The one thing I gathered is that he and Coach will likely be here in Austin monday for pro day

Baalke said he and Singletary will leave Sunday for a three-day scouting trip to get to know each other better and spend time discussing the prospects. When I asked where they would be going on that scouting trip, Baalke answered, "You'll have to follow the plane."

Seeing as how Texas has the biggest pro day every year it makes sense they would be here.
Originally posted by TX9R:
He didn't say anything really. I like this, but I'm not afraid to do that. The one thing I gathered is that he and Coach will likely be here in Austin monday for pro day

Baalke said he and Singletary will leave Sunday for a three-day scouting trip to get to know each other better and spend time discussing the prospects. When I asked where they would be going on that scouting trip, Baalke answered, "You'll have to follow the plane."

Seeing as how Texas has the biggest pro day every year it makes sense they would be here.

Earl Thomas and Shipley

The thing I like about Balke's draft philosophy is that he says he's not scared to draft a smaller RB if they RB can give us another dimension, like a Best or a Spiller. Best was specifically mentioned I guess. He said he likes the teams that have a 3 back rotation. That's what I've wanted to see us do for 2 years now, to keep Gore healthy and to make teams prepare for more stuff. He isn't afraid to draft exceptions, which is a huge difference from Scotty who said "if you take 1 exception soon enough you'll have a whole team full of exceptions". I think Baalke's going to do a really good job, I wouldn't be surprised if he lands the GM job, and I think we're really going to like him.
the way he sounded, if spiller is there at 13, he will take him :)
What I got from the MM report was the following:

1. Baalke has the overall philosophy of McLoughan - the bigger, faster, smarter player is the best way to go. So a person like Mays would be good if he compared equally with all other players. Less skill and bigger size may not fit the bill. So if Mays was good at coverage he might go number 1 because of his speed. But no coverage would drop him back into the pack. Most of us would agree with this philosophy.

2. He is open to exceptions. Mc apparently stated he was not open to exceptions. So that keeps the door open for Spiller, Best, McCluskey.

3. He wants to keep open communications with Singletary and wants to travely with him to see, and discuss, the players. That would mean that Baalke is open to feedback.

So he seems to be open to feedback, has a philosophy of what kinds of players he wants, and is open to the talented exception. So, so far, so good.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
What I got from the MM report was the following:

1. Baalke has the overall philosophy of McLoughan - the bigger, faster, smarter player is the best way to go. So a person like Mays would be good if he compared equally with all other players. Less skill and bigger size may not fit the bill. So if Mays was good at coverage he might go number 1 because of his speed. But no coverage would drop him back into the pack. Most of us would agree with this philosophy.

2. He is open to exceptions. Mc apparently stated he was not open to exceptions. So that keeps the door open for Spiller, Best, McCluskey.

3. He wants to keep open communications with Singletary and wants to travely with him to see, and discuss, the players. That would mean that Baalke is open to feedback.

So he seems to be open to feedback, has a philosophy of what kinds of players he wants, and is open to the talented exception. So, so far, so good.

i lol'd
Great to hear. I think he is going to do good job in the draft.