LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Is it crazy to take TWO DBs at 13 and 17?

Looking at most big boards and mock drafts, it looks like picks 13 - 17 are going to be loaded in the secondary: Joe Haden, Earl Thomas, Kyle Wilson, Taylor Mays.

If Joe Haden is still there at #13, he is far and away the best player available -- mock drafts are starting to make jokes about how quickly the 49ers will turn their card in for Haden (unless Trent Williams is there).

So say we take Haden there...why not take Kyle Wilson, Earl Thomas, or Taylor Mays at 17???

I think Earl Thomas is the next Ed Reed, and Kyle Wilson is simply an amazing punt returner and looks like a star in the secondary as well. Mays has the highest ceiling in the world, but I don't know if he will pan out.

So, we may be best off taking TWO DBs. Optimally, Kyle Wilson should be one of them because he fills the returner need.

Haden/Thomas, Thomas/Wilson, Haden/Wilson.

Thomas/Wilson would fill the most needs (safety, CB, KR/PR).
Yeah and then Brandon Ghee or Chris Cook in the second, then Jerome Murphy in the third.

Yes it would be crazy.
Its strange that you brought this up. I was going to post the exact same topic. It could happen!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Yes it would be crazy.
BPA, if Haden is there at 13 then I think we have to take him unless Williams is there. Obviously Graham or Kindle would me more realistic, but the draft is fickle so you never know
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Yes it would be crazy.
Might as well -- the defense will be spending a lot of time on the field if we don't fix the OL.
crazy and stupid
I would be filled with great anger.

Ummmmm what about our Oline???? did you forget our Oline is comparable to a wall of tissue paper?? Iupati at 17!
We need to make upgrades to our secondary. I don't think Nate Clements can play at a high level aymore. I'd love to find that Revis type "shutdown CB." We need help. For the record, the 49ers ranked 21st in pass defense.

[ Edited by PTulini on Mar 25, 2010 at 12:25:41 ]
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Ummmmm what about our Oline???? did you forget our Oline is comparable to a wall of tissue paper?? Iupati at 17!

Folks, remember the games last season? Forget the Alamo. Remember the Oline.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Might as well -- the defense will be spending a lot of time on the field if we don't fix the OL.

Nice!
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by rapid4:

Nice!
Share 49ersWebzone