LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

NFL personnel men concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft class

SI.com interviewed four NFL head coaches, four general managers and two other high-level club personnel executives for this story. Due to the sensitivity of the topic, all requested anonymity in order to speak candidly about the issue.

According to one veteran club personnel man, 10 or 11 players who carry first-round draft grades on their board this year have been red-flagged for marijuana use in college, an estimate echoed by two clubs' head coaches. Another NFL head coach estimated that "one-third'' of the players on his club's draft board had some sort of history with marijuana use and would thus require an extra level of evaluation as part of the pre-draft scouting process.

"Marijuana use is almost epidemic, with more guys having tested positive for marijuana at some point in their college background than I can ever remember,'' said a longtime team personnel man. "It's almost as if we are having to figure out a new way to evaluate it as part of the character and background report, because it's so prevalent. There're enough instances of it that it's hard to know how to set your board. You can't throw out that many guys. You have to go case-by-case and do your homework on them.''

It's important to note that NFL club officials in this case are only referencing failed drug tests administered by the prospect's college that wind up on his background report, not the drug tests the league conducts as part of the scouting process at last month's NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Players with drug test failures in college are not automatically enrolled in the NFL's drug-testing program upon being drafted, but those players can be added at the league's discretion, depending on the type of drug used, how recent the failed test occurred and if there were multiple failures.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/03/23/nfl.draft.marijuana/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0j6xUWrNa
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
Did anybody test positive at the combine?
Originally posted by jreff22:

It's important to note that NFL club officials in this case are only referencing failed drug tests administered by the prospect's college that wind up on his background report, not the drug tests the league conducts as part of the scouting process at last month's NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.
Oh no! Not marijuana!!
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by jreff22:

It's important to note that NFL club officials in this case are only referencing failed drug tests administered by the prospect's college that wind up on his background report, not the drug tests the league conducts as part of the scouting process at last month's NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis.

I get that, I'm just asking out of curiosity....I don't remember any reports like the last few years.
marijuana and epidemic shouldn't even be used in the same statement. Upwards of 90% of college players probably smoke weed and a third get caught. I personally think they should just stop testing for weed in football at all. Its obviously not performance enhancing and, as much as the federal government would like you to think otherwise, it isn't a drug like crack or heroin or even prescription drugs for that matter. It sucks that weed is illegal while millions of drug addicts can just go to there doctor then to the pharmacy and come home with enough drugs to kill an elephant.
f**kin pot heads.

I wonder if its a big enough concern for some teams where a player might drop?

10 or 11 players who carry first-round draft grades on their board this year have been red-flagged for marijuana use in college,

[ Edited by valrod33 on Mar 24, 2010 at 09:31:42 ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
f**kin pot heads.

10 or 11 players who carry first-round draft grades on their board this year have been red-flagged for marijuana use in college,

Seriously these dudes are gonna make millions if they stay clean and they still cant do that. It really is troubling for the NFL, it says a lot about their commitment.
huh?
Originally posted by susweel:
f**kin pot heads.

Seriously these dudes are gonna make millions if they stay clean and they still cant do that. It really is troubling for the NFL, it says a lot about their commitment.

It sounds like they didn't test positive but were red flagged, as in someone snitched on them or they were informed about their use in college.
I don't see it as a huge problem that they smoke but I can completely understand why you wouldn't want to throw an ass load of cash at a pot head. Cause a pot head might get all that cash and then want his free time too....Ricky 2.0.

Originally posted by Youngone:
f**kin pot heads.

It sounds like they didn't test positive but were red flagged, as in someone snitched on them or they were informed about their use in college.
I don't see it as a huge problem that they smoke but I can completely understand why you wouldn't want to throw an ass load of cash at a pot head. Cause a pot head might get all that cash and then want his free time too....Ricky 2.0.

Marijuana use is almost epidemic, with more guys having tested positive for marijuana at some point in their college background than I can ever remember,''
f**kin pot heads.

Marijuana use is almost epidemic, with more guys having tested positive for marijuana at some point in their college background than I can ever remember,''

Right.....you've said that already
f**kin pot heads.

Right.....you've said that already

and you said it didnt sound like they tested positive

I was showing you that yes they tested positive

• evil
  • Veteran
In other news Ricky Williams and Randy Moss are not concerned by marijuana 'epidemic' in draft class .
college guys smoking weed wow what a surprise Calvin Johnson and a host of others dropped nowhere after admitting to smoking in college.
Share 49ersWebzone