There are 67 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Patrick Willis on CJ Spiller

Originally posted by ImaMod:
People overrate Spiller too much sometimes..When Gore wears down then we should draft a RB, were about 4 years away from that Id rather grab a returner in the 4th round

Why wait til then? And how do we know we'll even be able to land someone of Spiller's caliber?

I think people are afraid that he might turn into Bush... BUT he could also turn into the next Chris Johnson. I think people are also afraid of hurting Gore's feelings. Screw that. There's less than a handful of players in the NFL that compare with Spiller's talent, why pass him up if we have a chance?

Two-back systems aren't that rare now-a-days anyway.
Originally posted by WillisOnThree:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Gore has maybe 2 good years left and Spiller is not just a very good RB, he is a GREAT return man and also a heck of a receiver out of the backfield and lining up out wide and in the slot.

Patrick Willis and everyone else needs to get of twitter.

if he has 2 good years left we should wait till 2 years to fill the need we have much much much more pressing needs right now i really dont understand what team would get a return man and back up RB when they have a bottom 5 OL maybe even bottom 3 in the nfl

The thing is I don't think we're that far away from the playoffs. We lost most of our games, and to some very good competition, by 7 points or less... Spiller is the type of player that can come in and make up that difference. The guy is a threat from anywhere on the field on any given play. And plus with him in there, that's a guy defenses have to put extra attention on, whether the play is designed for him, or he's used as a decoy.

I just don't see a lineman coming in and putting us over the hump right away. Even the best linemen out of college take some time to settle in and make a big impact. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a lineman, I'm all for it, but I would rather make sure we get Spiller first.

The guy seems to be bound to be either the next Reggie Bush or the next Chris Johnson... and frankly I'd be willing to take a chance and find out first hand what he ends up being. Whichever way his career takes him, he'll at least take care of our special teams problems. Even as lackluster as Reggie has been, he's still putting up 50 receptions and 8 TDs a season.

I still think Spiller will be better than Reggie though, he seems like a tougher runner from what I've seen of him and what I saw of Reggie at USC.

Alex Smith also needs all the help he can get, I'm sure he wouldn't mind tossing a couple of screen or dump passes CJ's way.

Totally agree!!!

so agree as well, dude couldnt have said it better
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
People overrate Spiller too much sometimes..When Gore wears down then we should draft a RB, were about 4 years away from that Id rather grab a returner in the 4th round

Actually he is underrated by those that don't do their research. Scored 51TDs, 21TDs of 50yds or more, 308 points individually, 7588 all purpose yds, 2 TD passes, only player in the nation with a TD in every game in 09'. Unanimous 1st team all- American KR, record for all purpose yds, fastest 10yrd split of the 40 yd dash 1.46 seconds, team captain. I haven't even scratched his bio. Shouldn't pass on this guy!
Originally posted by cupcheck:

Actually he is underrated by those that don't do their research. Scored 51TDs, 21TDs of 50yds or more, 308 points individually, 7588 all purpose yds, 2 TD passes, only player in the nation with a TD in every game in 09'. Unanimous 1st team all- American KR, record for all purpose yds, fastest 10yrd split of the 40 yd dash 1.46 seconds, team captain. I haven't even scratched his bio. Shouldn't pass on this guy!

Well said. When you think about how much of a difference Spiller would have made last year when one or two big plays in a game means a win instead of a loss, you can't dismiss that.

[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 24, 2010 at 18:57:49 ]

Yep. People who say we shouldn't draft him because we have Frank just don't understand the modern game of football. Don't think of him as a RB. Think of him as an offensive weapon. He can line up wide on either side, in the slot, as a single back, or in a 2 back set. He could see the field on 80% of plays and not take any carries away from Frank. Even when the ball isn't going his way, defenses will have to account for him on every play.

Imagine Crabtree, Morgan, Davis, Gore and Spiller all on the field at the same time for most of the game. Then the onus is on Smith to use those weapons, and on the O-Line to protect him, and make holes for Gore and Spiller.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Just say "no" to Spiller.

Yup. You don't waste a top pick on a situational player at the one position you have a perennial pro bowler at when you have other glaring needs.

Prime reason why I don't want Spiller.

-9fA
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:

Yep. People who say we shouldn't draft him because we have Frank just don't understand the modern game of football. Don't think of him as a RB. Think of him as an offensive weapon. He can line up wide on either side, in the slot, as a single back, or in a 2 back set. He could see the field on 80% of plays and not take any carries away from Frank. Even when the ball isn't going his way, defenses will have to account for him on every play.

Imagine Crabtree, Morgan, Davis, Gore and Spiller all on the field at the same time for most of the game. Then the onus is on Smith to use those weapons, and on the O-Line to protect him, and make holes for Gore and Spiller.

Totally agree. An added benefit with outside speed is that the D can't plug up the middle like last yr. The OL and Gore having more room to operate.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
This thread makes me sad.
Originally posted by Oregon49erfan:

This is what I was just going to say. I didn't like the idea of Spiller at first.. until I learned about him and realized what kind of impact he would have on the Offense.

Instead of having Walker on the field every play, having Spiller creates mismatches all over the place due to his speed and excellent hands and ability to run routes. He would be a wild-card, an element that would confuse the hell out of the defenses and open up every other player on O. And if you don't account for him? 6 points. People here were all so pissed we passed on D Jackson because they saw just how much he could do, well, I think Spiller will have that kind of impact.
Willis also didn't want David Carr and look what happened. I doubt his opinion will be considered in future personnel decisions either.

I have a feeling the Bay will be welcoming Cj Spiller soon enough, the excitement he's generated throughout the fan base has not gone unnoticed.
Originally posted by jreff22:
So Willis is the man on draft day now......?

Yes, apparently so. He also has a say in who the backup QB is going to be. The GM job is open, maybe Jed has Pat in mind for the job.

Pat, you are a great LB. Maybe you should stick to that.
Gore has maybe 2 good years left and Spiller is not just a very good RB, he is a GREAT return man and also a heck of a receiver out of the backfield and lining up out wide and in the slot.

dude, no way. Franks is barely averaging 250 carries a year...all these other backs are averaging 300-400.

PLus, dudes only 26. He'll play at least 4 to 5 years, bank.

He's way beyond his surgery now and since he hasn't been getting that many carries his shoulders haven't taken the abuse that one would normally take.

I think honestly, some how he has been preserved and if we can protect him a bit more like last year with coffee I think he could definately give us 5 more years.
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

dude, no way. Franks is barely averaging 250 carries a year...all these other backs are averaging 300-400.

He's way beyond his surgery now and since he hasn't been getting that many carries his shoulders haven't taken the abuse that one would normally take.

I think honestly, some how he has been preserved and if we can protect him a bit more like last year with coffee I think he could definately give us 5 more years.

or better yet, next year with spiller
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:

If he didn't get hurt every season he would be averaging more carries. Forget his shoulder the guy had major knee surgery coming out of college, he should be solid for 2 possibly 3 more seasons but every play could be his last. The fact is Coffee has not been productive enough to take any load off of Gore. Spiller could easily add a couple years to Gore's career by sharing the load. Particularly if the 49ers are planning on playing deep into the playoffs they will need fresh backs.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Willis also didn't want David Carr and look what happened. I doubt his opinion will be considered in future personnel decisions either.

I have a feeling the Bay will be welcoming Cj Spiller soon enough, the excitement he's generated throughout the fan base has not gone unnoticed.

If excitement among the fan base were the main criteria for drafting, the Jaguars would move up to the #1 spot and take Tebow.

[ Edited by Niners23 on Mar 25, 2010 at 16:23:59 ]