There are 334 users in the forums

Patrick Willis on CJ Spiller

i want spiller regardless what patrick says
Well DUH!

Been saying this since jump street!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
And for the record one NFL hit on Jahvid Best and he'll turn in his retirement players.

So...you are implying Taylor Mays' hits are not NFL hits? Hmm, then what can Taylor Mays do?
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I dont want spiller wither but Patrick willis just needs to shut the f**k up already. Stay of twitter Patrick that s**t is gonna get you in trouble

I know....I like Willis but he needs to stop being such a little b**ch. I wish he was here right now I would shake the s**t out of him. Maybe even pimp slap him.

Yeah, banning people for sarcasm would leave about 3 people on this board....you being one of them

Lol I know.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Just say "no" to Spiller.

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by Niners23:
People keep talking about the need for return men, but no one has countered any argument that equal or better returners can be found in later rounds in this draft. Also, a lot of posters are saying screw Willis, and that his opinion isn't important; however, I believe his opinion is reflective of the 49ers players as a whole, and it should therefore carry some weight and not be dismissed that easily.

One more thing, everyone here seems to have forgotten about Coffee being drafted in the 3rd last year as they counter that we need a 2nd RB etc. Yes, Coffee didn't have a great year, but maybe that's because the only play they ever had him run was a draw play up the gut while the defense stacked the box. Regardless of your opinions on Coffee, I don't think the niners will right him off and will give him at least another year to see how he does as the number 2 RB, and I expect to see him on the field more often this year as well.

CJ Spiller is THE BEST returner in this draft. He is also the best running back. So why not select him if we have the opportunity? He won't just be a returner for us, but he'll be on the field to spell Frank, or be on the field as a receiver.
No one here is really hating on Pat, just the fact that he lets his emotions out there on Twitter can get a little annoying. Like bashing a future teammate in Carr or wanting Mike Vick. Players can't fall in love with other teammates and completely disregard the position come draft time. That's not how you build a contender. Look at Carolina, the Giants, the Saints, Cowboys, etc. They each have more than one running back are have made it to the playoffs the past couple years.
Coffee needs more grooming. I wasn't fond of the pick last year as I felt he was a one year wonder and it showed when Gore got injured during the season. Truth is, we need a change of pace back.

Cosigned.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
And for the record one NFL hit on Jahvid Best and he'll turn in his retirement players.

So...you are implying Taylor Mays' hits are not NFL hits? Hmm, then what can Taylor Mays do?

What Taylor Mays can do is go into the weight room and make workout warriors gush at the thought of him joining the crew.

I think he'd be better suited for OLB, watching the routes he'd take in pass coverage and how allergic he is to wrap and tackle was just so hard to watch.
Some of you guys would be AWFUL GMs!

You are really gonna spend a that high of a pick for a guy that is just gonna be a change of pace back!? We have major concerns on our OL, we need another pass rusher, Nate is at the end of his career, Michael Lewis might be done, and it's still not a fact that Smith is our QB for the future...

On top of that, we spent a 2nd round pick last year on a RB, remember? So, after 1 year, we just gonna call him a bust?...

[ Edited by TheG0RE49er on Mar 24, 2010 at 15:21:24 ]
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

You are really gonna spend a that high of a pick for a guy that is just gonna be a change of pace back!? We have major concerns on our OL, we need another pass rusher, Nate is at the end of his career, Michael Lewis might be done, and it's still not a fact that Smith is our QB for the future...

On top of that, we spent a 2nd round pick last year on a RB, remember? So, after 1 year, we just gonna call him a bust?...

I don't know if you've read what others have been saying, but Spiller is more than just a change of pace back. He's an explosive returner and a very good receiver. So you would rather select the fifth best o-lineman in Anthony Davis because we need one? We just resigned Barry Sims, so in case there isn't a good tackle to select in the 1st, we can find one in the 2nd or 3rd to groom. Pass rusher is important but not entirely a need. We ranked top 5 in sacks last year and Ahmad Brooks will be coming back, so I'm not entirely worried at that position. Safety is a concern, obviously, due to Michael's health, but there are a ton of great valued safeties in the 2nd and 3rd round. Nate is not in the end of his career. He's not as fast as he used to be, but he's still a valuable member of our secondary and can still compete with the best of them. Smith will be our QB next season. Plus, there won't be a QB available in the 1st anyways by the time we pick.

We didn't spend a 2nd rounder on a running back last season, but we did spend a 3rd on Coffee. IMO I felt like we reached for him. There were plenty of other running backs on the board last year that were better than him. He had ONE good year in Alabama and proved last year that he couldn't handle a load on his own when Frank got injured. I'm just saying that Spiller>>>>>>Coffee.
He's just supporting his teamate Frank Gore and saying he has full confidence in him.

• ImaMod
  • Veteran
People overrate Spiller too much sometimes..When Gore wears down then we should draft a RB, were about 4 years away from that Id rather grab a returner in the 4th round
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's just supporting his teamate Frank Gore and saying he has full confidence in him.

I agree. People are making too much of this.
Originally posted by ImaMod:
People overrate Spiller too much sometimes..When Gore wears down then we should draft a RB, were about 4 years away from that Id rather grab a returner in the 4th round

I think he will start to slow down before 4 years. If Coffee can have more of an impact and split carries with Gore then I think he would definitely have 4 years. But I think he will breakdown before that if he continues to be our only work horse.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

Your right, we need as many impact players at as many positions as we can get this yr. The solution is simple get another 1st round pick. trade 2011 1st + to NE for #22 this yr and take the best OLB or S or what will improve the team the most in reclaiming the division title, and play off run.

[ Edited by cupcheck on Mar 24, 2010 at 17:27:02 ]
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Gore has maybe 2 good years left and Spiller is not just a very good RB, he is a GREAT return man and also a heck of a receiver out of the backfield and lining up out wide and in the slot.

Patrick Willis and everyone else needs to get of twitter.

if he has 2 good years left we should wait till 2 years to fill the need we have much much much more pressing needs right now i really dont understand what team would get a return man and back up RB when they have a bottom 5 OL maybe even bottom 3 in the nfl

The thing is I don't think we're that far away from the playoffs. We lost most of our games, and to some very good competition, by 7 points or less... Spiller is the type of player that can come in and make up that difference. The guy is a threat from anywhere on the field on any given play. And plus with him in there, that's a guy defenses have to put extra attention on, whether the play is designed for him, or he's used as a decoy.

I just don't see a lineman coming in and putting us over the hump right away. Even the best linemen out of college take some time to settle in and make a big impact. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a lineman, I'm all for it, but I would rather make sure we get Spiller first.

The guy seems to be bound to be either the next Reggie Bush or the next Chris Johnson... and frankly I'd be willing to take a chance and find out first hand what he ends up being. Whichever way his career takes him, he'll at least take care of our special teams problems. Even as lackluster as Reggie has been, he's still putting up 50 receptions and 8 TDs a season.

I still think Spiller will be better than Reggie though, he seems like a tougher runner from what I've seen of him and what I saw of Reggie at USC.

Alex Smith also needs all the help he can get, I'm sure he wouldn't mind tossing a couple of screen or dump passes CJ's way.

Totally agree!!!
Share 49ersWebzone