LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 335 users in the forums

Patrick Willis on CJ Spiller

that means we're going to get him ! he felt the same way about carr.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Two sets of fresh legs going into the end of the season?? YES PLEASE!!!! Not to mention the HUGE upgrade he'd be at KR/PR. It seems people don't see just how important a reliable, explosive return man is.

Watching Battle and crew handle the duties last season showed how important it is to have a legit returner back there. Spiller has the ability to take it to the house each time.
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by susweel:
Two sets of fresh legs going into the end of the season?? YES PLEASE!!!! Not to mention the HUGE upgrade he'd be at KR/PR. It seems people don't see just how important a reliable, explosive return man is.

Duh, dont you know ? Niners dont like explosive that can score touchdowns.

We like goes who are easily coverable and don't have gamebreaking speed. Once we get speed on our team (Like Lelie, Hill) we totally psych out the opponent by not using it

LOL. Sad, but true! I'd rather see Hill out there than Morgan.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Watching Battle and crew handle the duties last season showed how important it is to have a legit returner back there. Spiller has the ability to take it to the house each time.

The Rossum benching/cut was the biggest bonehead move of the season.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Just say "no" to Spiller.

Yup. You don't waste a top pick on a situational player at the one position you have a perennial pro bowler at when you have other glaring needs.

You should make sure to let the Saints know that.

Agreed 100%. The fact that we never gave Spurlock a shot back there was another bonehead move.
1a - Trent Williams(1) CJ Spiller(2)
1b - Earl Thomas(1) Brandon Graham(2)
2 - Best Guard available without reaching or best CB/Safety(unless we got Thomas)
3 - Olineman(1) WR/PR/KR(2)

I would like Spiller but if Trent is there.....we take him.

Agreed 100%. The fact that we never gave Spurlock a shot back there was another bonehead move.

Yeah, then he ends up resigning with the Bucs and takes a punt return to the house

Yeah, then he ends up resigning with the Bucs and takes a punt return to the house

Lol that was epic
i'm all for drafting spiller. f*ck what pat says.

Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Gore has maybe 2 good years left and Spiller is not just a very good RB, he is a GREAT return man and also a heck of a receiver out of the backfield and lining up out wide and in the slot.

Patrick Willis and everyone else needs to get of twitter.

this
People keep talking about the need for return men, but no one has countered any argument that equal or better returners can be found in later rounds in this draft. Also, a lot of posters are saying screw Willis, and that his opinion isn't important; however, I believe his opinion is reflective of the 49ers players as a whole, and it should therefore carry some weight and not be dismissed that easily.

One more thing, everyone here seems to have forgotten about Coffee being drafted in the 3rd last year as they counter that we need a 2nd RB etc. Yes, Coffee didn't have a great year, but maybe that's because the only play they ever had him run was a draw play up the gut while the defense stacked the box. Regardless of your opinions on Coffee, I don't think the niners will right him off and will give him at least another year to see how he does as the number 2 RB, and I expect to see him on the field more often this year as well.
Originally posted by Niners23:
People keep talking about the need for return men, but no one has countered any argument that equal or better returners can be found in later rounds in this draft.
You show me your reasons for saying there are good return men later and I'll show you why there aren't
Also, a lot of posters are saying screw Willis, and that his opinion isn't important;
I think you are missing out on the sarcasm in some of the posts about Willis. Homie does need to stop tweeting though.

One more thing, everyone here seems to have forgotten about Coffee being drafted in the 3rd last year as they counter that we need a 2nd RB etc. Yes, Coffee didn't have a great year

You listed the only reason that matters. Don't get too attached to a third round pick...they don't always pan out.
People keep talking about the need for return men, but no one has countered any argument that equal or better returners can be found in later rounds in this draft. Also, a lot of posters are saying screw Willis, and that his opinion isn't important; however, I believe his opinion is reflective of the 49ers players as a whole, and it should therefore carry some weight and not be dismissed that easily.

One more thing, everyone here seems to have forgotten about Coffee being drafted in the 3rd last year as they counter that we need a 2nd RB etc. Yes, Coffee didn't have a great year, but maybe that's because the only play they ever had him run was a draw play up the gut while the defense stacked the box. Regardless of your opinions on Coffee, I don't think the niners will right him off and will give him at least another year to see how he does as the number 2 RB, and I expect to see him on the field more often this year as well.

CJ Spiller is THE BEST returner in this draft. He is also the best running back. So why not select him if we have the opportunity? He won't just be a returner for us, but he'll be on the field to spell Frank, or be on the field as a receiver.
No one here is really hating on Pat, just the fact that he lets his emotions out there on Twitter can get a little annoying. Like bashing a future teammate in Carr or wanting Mike Vick. Players can't fall in love with other teammates and completely disregard the position come draft time. That's not how you build a contender. Look at Carolina, the Giants, the Saints, Cowboys, etc. They each have more than one running back are have made it to the playoffs the past couple years.
Coffee needs more grooming. I wasn't fond of the pick last year as I felt he was a one year wonder and it showed when Gore got injured during the season. Truth is, we need a change of pace back.
People keep talking about the need for return men, but no one has countered any argument that equal or better returners can be found in later rounds in this draft.
You show me your reasons for saying there are good return men later and I'll show you why there aren't

Jacoby Ford
Trindon Holliday
Jordan Shipley
A.J. Jefferson
Perrish Cox
Brandon Banks
Javier Arenas
Brandon James
LeRoy Vann
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Golden Tate
Marshwan Gilyard
Kyle Wilson
etc.

Come on man, you know this draft is stacked with returners, not to mention most a lot of the best return men in the league are late round picks.

Also, a lot of posters are saying screw Willis, and that his opinion isn't important;
I think you are missing out on the sarcasm in some of the posts about Willis. Homie does need to stop tweeting though.

Fair enough, but I don't think every post was sarcastic, so my point still has some merit as Willis' opinion cannot be dismissed so easily because it's most likely reflective of the players as a whole.
One more thing, everyone here seems to have forgotten about Coffee being drafted in the 3rd last year as they counter that we need a 2nd RB etc. Yes, Coffee didn't have a great year

You listed the only reason that matters. Don't get too attached to a third round pick...they don't always pan out.

I'm not getting attached to a 3rd round pick, but I also don't think the niners will draft a rookie RB to compliment Gore in the 3rd round, which is still a decently high investment in a 2nd RB, and only give him one year to pan out. The coaches all raved about Coffee's blitz pickup, and quite frankly he wasn't terrible. Given the right plays it remains to be seen whether he will be a good compliment; therefore it makes sense to give him at least another year. Good organizations don't draft a backup RB in the 3rd round one year then in the 1st the next year when they have a pro-bowl RB still in his prime.
Share 49ersWebzone