There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Patrick Willis on CJ Spiller

So, Willis made a tweet asking for information on possible draft picks the niners may take, and he had some interesting responses via twitter when people said that the team should take CJ Spiller with a 1st round pick.

When someone reccomended Spiller, Patrick responded with, "ha ha no way frank is our guy. That's our running back. How down. he is one of the best runners in game."

Someone responded saying, "rb's are a good start. then there's the fact that we have no qb. everything else is fine"

and Willis proceeded to say, "yeah that could be but frank is our guy tho. And coffee is not a bad backup."

Basically, this tells me a few things: if the niners select an RB at 13, they'd pay him similar to what Knowshon Moreno got last year, which is about $5 million/year. Considering that this would be very close to Gore's salary, as well as the respect Gore gets in the locker room, would cause internal turmoil if the niners select an RB in the first round while Gore is still in his prime. It's obvious from Willis' statements and others that Gore carries a lot of weight in the locker room, and that is not something you want to screw with, especially when you've already taken a backup RB with a 3rd round pick; taking another RB with a 1st rounder the following year basically states that you are looking to replace your primary RB soon.

I realize there is a giant CJ Spiller bandwagon on these boards, and I'll probably get flamed to hell with talk about how we need Spiller, we can't let him fall to Seattle etc, but the simple fact of the matter is that I do not believe the team will select any RB in the first round, regardless of his special teams contributions - especially when this year's draft is very deep in return men.

[ Edited by Niners23 on Mar 24, 2010 at 04:58:46 ]
This thread makes me sad.
Just say "no" to Spiller.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
Just say "no" to Spiller.

Yup. You don't waste a top pick on a situational player at the one position you have a perennial pro bowler at when you have other glaring needs.
Somebody's gonna have a hell of a player on their team... and it don't look like it'll be us.

[ Edited by silkyjohnson on Mar 24, 2010 at 05:35:38 ]
Um, patrick also thinks Vick is still an impact qb.
Gore has maybe 2 good years left and Spiller is not just a very good RB, he is a GREAT return man and also a heck of a receiver out of the backfield and lining up out wide and in the slot.

Patrick Willis and everyone else needs to get of twitter.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Gore has maybe 2 good years left and Spiller is not just a very good RB, he is a GREAT return man and also a heck of a receiver out of the backfield and lining up out wide and in the slot.

if he has 2 good years left we should wait till 2 years to fill the need we have much much much more pressing needs right now i really dont understand what team would get a return man and back up RB when they have a bottom 5 OL maybe even bottom 3 in the nfl
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

if he has 2 good years left we should wait till 2 years to fill the need we have much much much more pressing needs right now i really dont understand what team would get a return man and back up RB when they have a bottom 5 OL maybe even bottom 3 in the nfl

The thing is I don't think we're that far away from the playoffs. We lost most of our games, and to some very good competition, by 7 points or less... Spiller is the type of player that can come in and make up that difference. The guy is a threat from anywhere on the field on any given play. And plus with him in there, that's a guy defenses have to put extra attention on, whether the play is designed for him, or he's used as a decoy.

I just don't see a lineman coming in and putting us over the hump right away. Even the best linemen out of college take some time to settle in and make a big impact. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a lineman, I'm all for it, but I would rather make sure we get Spiller first.

The guy seems to be bound to be either the next Reggie Bush or the next Chris Johnson... and frankly I'd be willing to take a chance and find out first hand what he ends up being. Whichever way his career takes him, he'll at least take care of our special teams problems. Even as lackluster as Reggie has been, he's still putting up 50 receptions and 8 TDs a season.

I still think Spiller will be better than Reggie though, he seems like a tougher runner from what I've seen of him and what I saw of Reggie at USC.

Alex Smith also needs all the help he can get, I'm sure he wouldn't mind tossing a couple of screen or dump passes CJ's way.
So Willis is the man on draft day now......?
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Once again people who haven't watched CJ Spiller before and just read his position as RB are very misinformed.

You want that Joshua Cribbs / Percy Harvin player ... Spiller is that guy.

And for the record one NFL hit on Jahvid Best and he'll turn in his retirement players.
Have Spiller run back a few kicks for TD's and Willis will be singing a different tune.
Originally posted by 49ersFan831:
sorry to tell u this spiller fans but spiller will never be a starter he is nothing more than a back up and KR,PR, woop-de-do rather get mardy gilyard or leroy van, and if dez bryant falls well get him because he was also a KR,PR, in college and he will be another weapon for alex smith ,and this a mock draft that prbably will happen unless dez bryant falls so here we go.................. 1a. LT,TRENT WILLIAMS- solids offensive line 1b.FS, TAYLOR MAYS-really fast hard hitting and will polsh up pass covarage under sing camp 2round. WR,MARDY GILYARD polished rout running ,future KR,PR, extra weapon for smith 3round.DE,LAMMAR HOUSTON-provides pass rush and deph plus future starter for justin smith 4round, OLB,ERIC NORWOOD-will rotate with manny lawson 6 SB RING HERE WE COME

The same Taylor Mays that has no clue on how to wrap up tackle.....?
I dont want spiller either but Patrick willis just needs to shut the f**k up already. Stay off twitter Patrick that s**t is gonna get you in trouble

[ Edited by valrod33 on Mar 24, 2010 at 08:08:14 ]
Originally posted by 49ersFan831:
sorry to tell u this spiller fans but spiller will never be a starter he is nothing more than a back up and KR,PR, woop-de-do rather get mardy gilyard or leroy van, and if dez bryant falls well get him because he was also a KR,PR, in college and he will be another weapon for alex smith ,and this a mock draft that prbably will happen unless dez bryant falls so here we go.................. 1a. LT,TRENT WILLIAMS- solids offensive line 1b.FS, TAYLOR MAYS-really fast hard hitting and will polsh up pass covarage under sing camp 2round. WR,MARDY GILYARD polished rout running ,future KR,PR, extra weapon for smith 3round.DE,LAMMAR HOUSTON-provides pass rush and deph plus future starter for justin smith 4round, OLB,ERIC NORWOOD-will rotate with manny lawson 6 SB RING HERE WE COME

Oh man, some punctuation would be nice. Thanks for the headache.