There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Source: Trent Baalke to Lead SF 49ers Draft Day Attack- ESPN

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Qualified? Is that what we want? No! We want someone who is exceptional.

If we want a team that can compete for playing in the SB each year, which we do, then our team must be among the top 8 teams. In other words, we must be in the top 25%. Superior teams must have superior talent. To have suprior talent, one must have a personnel guy who is among the top 25% in the league - at least. Is Baalke such a guy? I am convinced that McC was not among the top 25%. Hence, it is unlikely that Ballke is.

We do not want "qualified" if it only means average.

If you took my "qualified" as meaning by the Front Office standards, that's a misunderstanding. I'm talking by fan standards. And let me be clear that I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's qualified by the standards we expect -- that I expect.

This is me having faith that somehow this change will be for the better, because none of us knows at this point. As for Scot... I wish him well, but I've seen my own picks for us over the past couple of years far exceed the production we've gotten out of our current crop. That shouldn't happen. Scot should beat me.

Precisely. The fact that fans can pick better than GM's, you gotta wonder why these guys get paid so much sometimes
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Qualified? Is that what we want? No! We want someone who is exceptional.

If we want a team that can compete for playing in the SB each year, which we do, then our team must be among the top 8 teams. In other words, we must be in the top 25%. Superior teams must have superior talent. To have suprior talent, one must have a personnel guy who is among the top 25% in the league - at least. Is Baalke such a guy? I am convinced that McC was not among the top 25%. Hence, it is unlikely that Ballke is.

We do not want "qualified" if it only means average.

If you took my "qualified" as meaning by the Front Office standards, that's a misunderstanding. I'm talking by fan standards. And let me be clear that I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's qualified by the standards we expect -- that I expect.

This is me having faith that somehow this change will be for the better, because none of us knows at this point. As for Scot... I wish him well, but I've seen my own picks for us over the past couple of years far exceed the production we've gotten out of our current crop. That shouldn't happen. Scot should beat me.

Precisely. The fact that fans can pick better than GM's, you gotta wonder why these guys get paid so much sometimes

Agreed, let's hope whoever is in charge does a very good job in this draft to get us some playmakers & o-line help.
I do agree with you OnThe Clock. Too often I have seen some of you fans do a better job of picking draftees (as judged by their later NFL experience) than McC. Indeed, I think the Yorks could have saved a lot of money and done a better job of drafting by buying a reputable draft magazine at the local newstand. I am not swayed by those who point to Willis, Davis, and Crabtree. But did they bother to look where the draft magazines had them rated? You get them because your team has done poorly and is drafting early, not because of any particular brilliance.
Does this mean players like Earl Thomas and Kyle Wilson are now viable candidates at 17. They aren't "Scotty McC" guys
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SacRock14:
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

lol, beat me to the punch.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
if Baalke= desean jackson, and Scot=kentwan balmer, then im stoked
Originally posted by teeohh:
do you trust this face

He looks confused in his program picture for christ sake...how is he gonna handle 2 first round picks...
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

I wonder if he has the same "big man" philosophy that Scotty has.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Originally posted by DynastyChile:

I wonder if he has the same "big man" philosophy that Scotty has.

Seriously, thats a great question. that big men philosophy has given us 0 fast receivers, and 0 fast defensive backs....

and speed to those two positions can be pretty fkn important.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Does this mean players like Earl Thomas and Kyle Wilson are now viable candidates at 17. They aren't "Scotty McC" guys

God I hope so. Don't forget about Brandon Graham who is listed at 6'1", I remember him saying he likes his pass-rushers to be 6'3"- 6'5".
do you trust this face

Or how about this one?

[img=null] [img=null] [img=null]
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Mar 22, 2010 at 12:23 AM ]
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
do you trust this face

Or how about this one?

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
do you trust this face

Or how about this one?

Tweedle de and Tweedle dum?
do you trust this face

Or how about this one?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
do you trust this face

Or how about this one?

Since when did we have Seth Mcfarlane working for us?? This draft will be frikkin sweet!