There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Source: Trent Baalke to Lead SF 49ers Draft Day Attack- ESPN

hope he knows we need O line help
I think there's a pertinent distinction between "running a draft" and "final say" . . . who's holding the all important trigger? Balki, Jed, Sing . . . a committee?
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,913
Screw Baalke, hand over the reigns to the webzone come draft day.
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Screw Baalke, hand over the reigns to the webzone come draft day.

good lord I hope you're not serious.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Screw Baalke, hand over the reigns to the webzone come draft day.

good lord I hope you're not serious.

Of course he is. We can have a poll on the available players at each pick.
watch our draft be 1 of our best that this franchise has ever seen
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
watch our draft be 1 of our best that this franchise has ever seen

We can only hope.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
watch our draft be 1 of our best that this franchise has ever seen


It would have to be epic to beat 1986
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Mar 20, 2010 at 7:05 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Quote:
Answers are beginning to surface about how the 49ers plan to handle next month's draft without their general manager Scot McCloughan.

San Francisco's director of player personnel Trent Baalke will lead the 49ers into a critical draft in which the team is scheduled to have the 13th and 17th overall picks, according to a league source.

Baalke has a strong reputation around the league and many expect that San Francisco will be able to march on successfully. He is recognized as a strong and capable talent evaluator.

The 49ers and McCloughan must also figure out a resolution as to their current situation before any other issues can be addressed.

Sources said McCloughan has been dealing with personal issues and the 49ers want him to be able to concentrate on those indefinitely. The organization is said to have been bracing for it for days and believes it is well prepared for the draft.

The issue will draw considerable attention this week, as 49ers officials arrive in Orlando, Fla., for this week's NFL owners meetings.


Source: Baalke Replaces McCloughan

I keep hearing reports back and forth that it's going to be Gamble rather. Now this one says Baalke. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me, as long as whoever is doing it makes the right picks.

We should pray Gamble is calling the shots, Baalke's experience doesn't go past college/mediocre Redskins recruiting. Gamble was a personnel/talent scout for the Colts from 1998-2004 (and has over 22 years of experience in front-office work in the NFL, also working with the eagles before coming to the 49ers).
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 11,913
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
Originally posted by jimrat201:
Screw Baalke, hand over the reigns to the webzone come draft day.

good lord I hope you're not serious.

I'm dead serious bro-ski..........relax, the webzone doesn't have a good track record either :)
Originally posted by Negrodamus:

lol, beat me to the punch.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Quote:
Answers are beginning to surface about how the 49ers plan to handle next month's draft without their general manager Scot McCloughan.

San Francisco's director of player personnel Trent Baalke will lead the 49ers into a critical draft in which the team is scheduled to have the 13th and 17th overall picks, according to a league source.

Baalke has a strong reputation around the league and many expect that San Francisco will be able to march on successfully. He is recognized as a strong and capable talent evaluator.

The 49ers and McCloughan must also figure out a resolution as to their current situation before any other issues can be addressed.

Sources said McCloughan has been dealing with personal issues and the 49ers want him to be able to concentrate on those indefinitely. The organization is said to have been bracing for it for days and believes it is well prepared for the draft.

The issue will draw considerable attention this week, as 49ers officials arrive in Orlando, Fla., for this week's NFL owners meetings.


Source: Baalke Replaces McCloughan

I keep hearing reports back and forth that it's going to be Gamble rather. Now this one says Baalke. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me, as long as whoever is doing it makes the right picks.

We should pray Gamble is calling the shots, Baalke's experience doesn't go past college/mediocre Redskins recruiting. Gamble was a personnel/talent scout for the Colts from 1998-2004 (and has over 22 years of experience in front-office work in the NFL, also working with the eagles before coming to the 49ers).

Well it's not as if Baalke is a scrub. The article itself says he's a highly regarded individual. I don't doubt he's probably qualified. More so than Gamble? I can't say.

But we all know who we need -- and I know who I want, selection-wise, come draft day -- and like I said, as long as whoever calls the shots doesn't screw it up, I'll be happy.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 20, 2010 at 9:11 PM ]
Qualified? Is that what we want? No! We want someone who is exceptional.

If we want a team that can compete for playing in the SB each year, which we do, then our team must be among the top 8 teams. In other words, we must be in the top 25%. Superior teams must have superior talent. To have suprior talent, one must have a personnel guy who is among the top 25% in the league - at least. Is Baalke such a guy? I am convinced that McC was not among the top 25%. Hence, it is unlikely that Ballke is.

We do not want "qualified" if it only means average.
Originally posted by excelsior:
Qualified? Is that what we want? No! We want someone who is exceptional.

If we want a team that can compete for playing in the SB each year, which we do, then our team must be among the top 8 teams. In other words, we must be in the top 25%. Superior teams must have superior talent. To have suprior talent, one must have a personnel guy who is among the top 25% in the league - at least. Is Baalke such a guy? I am convinced that McC was not among the top 25%. Hence, it is unlikely that Ballke is.

We do not want "qualified" if it only means average.

If you took my "qualified" as meaning by the Front Office standards, that's a misunderstanding. I'm talking by fan standards. And let me be clear that I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's qualified by the standards we expect -- that I expect.

This is me having faith that somehow this change will be for the better, because none of us knows at this point. As for Scot... I wish him well, but I've seen my own picks for us over the past couple of years far exceed the production we've gotten out of our current crop. That shouldn't happen. Scot should beat me.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
watch our draft be 1 of our best that this franchise has ever seen


It would have to be epic to beat 1986

If we had that type of draft where we get 6 starters and 2-3 pro bowlers, we'd probably win the superbowl in the next 2 years dude. That'd be sick. I'd be happy if our draft had the production of the guys OTC would've drafted over the last few years though. As much as I liked Scott as a GM, like OTC said he should've done better and some of the guys he passed on were bonehead mistakes and for stupid reasons also.