There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Spiller an everydown back?

So his upwards running style has been cited as a concern. Anyone know which other backs have the same style ?
if he can be slightly better or as good as reggie bush, he is worth a first round pick. the only reason reggie bush is considered a bust is because he was supposed to be the best back to come out of college in the past 20 years. C.J. Spiller will be worth it.
Originally posted by 49ersFan831:
idk why everybody likes spiller he is not an every down back not even close if it wasn't 4 jahvid best injury jahvid best would be the first R.B. taken and there is no way we draft a back up rb ,kr. this is wat we shoul do 1a. LT.TRENT WILLIAMS-solids our offensive line 1b.FS.TALOR MAYS-really fast safety hits like a linebaker but needs to polish up on passing covarage, 2round.WR,MARDY GILYARD-really good rout running and our future KR,PR, 3round.DE,LAMMAR HOUSTON- good devoleping defensive end for our future ,4round.OG,CIRON BLACK-will challange david bass for startin spot................6ring here we come

jahvid best is nowhere near as dynamic as spiller
why don't people think Spiller can't be an everydown back? what's the big difference between him and Chris Johnson (besides a fraction of a second in the 40).

Sure people like to lump him with Reggie, but I think CJ's a tougher runner.

Either way, whether he more closely resembles Reggie or Chris in his NFL career, I think he's totally worth it with the 13th pick, as opposed to a 2nd pick.
There's a sense in some league circles that only a truly special running back is worthy of a top-ten draft pick.

If so, it means that some regard Clemson's C.J. Spiller as a truly special running back.

We're hearing talk of teams possibly trying to invade the lower reaches of the top 10 in order to get a crack at Spiller, with rumors currently focusing on the Dolphins and the Giants.

The Dolphins currently hold the No. 12 pick; the Giants are at 15.

Since 2006, only three running backs have been chosen among the first 10 selections: Darren McFadden, No. 4 in 2008, Adrian Peterson, No. 7 in 2007, and Reggie Bush, No. 2 in 2006. In 2005, three running back were taken in the top five.

That year, the Dolphins drafted Ronnie Brown with the second overall pick. If the rumors are true, they could be looking to supplant Brown with Spiller.

wasn't sure where else to post this
Originally posted by teeohh:
So his upwards running style has been cited as a concern. Anyone know which other backs have the same style ?

Adrian Peterson.
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
why don't people think Spiller can't be an everydown back? what's the big difference between him and Chris Johnson (besides a fraction of a second in the 40).

Sure people like to lump him with Reggie, but I think CJ's a tougher runner.

Either way, whether he more closely resembles Reggie or Chris in his NFL career, I think he's totally worth it with the 13th pick, as opposed to a 2nd pick.

I think it's more of a toughness than speed. Nobody is debating any of these guys speed but it's not like spiller ran every down in college and got tough yards and those type of aspects. Yes he can make the big play but can he make the small plays as well when you talking about an every down back.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
why don't people think Spiller can't be an everydown back? what's the big difference between him and Chris Johnson (besides a fraction of a second in the 40).

Sure people like to lump him with Reggie, but I think CJ's a tougher runner.

Either way, whether he more closely resembles Reggie or Chris in his NFL career, I think he's totally worth it with the 13th pick, as opposed to a 2nd pick.

I think it's more of a toughness than speed. Nobody is debating any of these guys speed but it's not like spiller ran every down in college and got tough yards and those type of aspects. Yes he can make the big play but can he make the small plays as well when you talking about an every down back.

He was in 2 back system at Clemson.....and he never missed a game.
He won't make it out of the top 10
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Originally posted by 49ersFan831:
idk why everybody likes spiller he is not an every down back not even close if it wasn't 4 jahvid best injury jahvid best would be the first R.B. taken and there is no way we draft a back up rb ,kr. this is wat we shoul do 1a. LT.TRENT WILLIAMS-solids our offensive line 1b.FS.TALOR MAYS-really fast safety hits like a linebaker but needs to polish up on passing covarage, 2round.WR,MARDY GILYARD-really good rout running and our future KR,PR, 3round.DE,LAMMAR HOUSTON- good devoleping defensive end for our future ,4round.OG,CIRON BLACK-will challange david bass for startin spot................6ring here we come

jahvid best is nowhere near as dynamic as spiller

thats not a foregone conclusion


No, No, No, he is not an everydown back and we have that already in Gore.

Can you picture him trying to pickup a blitzing DE or OLB - he'd be blown over.
Originally posted by rk1642:
No, No, No, he is not an everydown back and we have that already in Gore.

Can you picture him trying to pickup a blitzing DE or OLB - he'd be blown over.

They said the exact same thing about MJD.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by rk1642:
No, No, No, he is not an everydown back and we have that already in Gore.

Can you picture him trying to pickup a blitzing DE or OLB - he'd be blown over.

Can you picture him catch a hot read out let pass on a blitzing OLB-he'd be gone down the side line for a TD. That kind of speed stops blitzing.
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Originally posted by rk1642:
No, No, No, he is not an everydown back and we have that already in Gore.

Can you picture him trying to pickup a blitzing DE or OLB - he'd be blown over.

Can you picture him catch a hot read out let pass on a blitzing OLB-he'd be gone down the side line for a TD. That kind of speed stops blitzing.

one of the thing the 3/4 def it good at is making it hard to run outside and screen pass are hard to do because of the OLB and SS are out side. and by the way I think he will pick up the bliz just fine.

[ Edited by dlance on Mar 29, 2010 at 19:12:21 ]
If Chris Johnson can be, I don't see why CJ Spiller can't.