LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 185 users in the forums

Is Spiller an everydown back?

• cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Spiller was the only back in the nation to record a TD. in every game this yr.

Another interesting fact: Out of 55 total college games, he's only had 12 games of 100+ yards rushing. Of those 12 games, 5 of them came his freshman year.

Also, thoughout his college career, he's only carried the ball 20 times or more in 5 games. Of those 5 games, he went over 100 yds in 4 of them [best game: ('09 vs GT) 20 car, 233yds 4TDs].

You could argue this thing either way. He hasn't quite proven that he can carry the load, but he has proven that he can be productive when given the opportunity and he's managed to stay relatively injury-free. So, he appears pretty durable, as well...

Those stats are still a bit misleading considering he shared the ball with James Davis for three seasons. As good as he was during those first three years as a change of pace guy, I think he definitely performed his best in his senior season as the featured guy, especially with a rookie QB and rookie OC helming the offense.

Plus, compiled those remarkable stats with playing through a turf toe injury this yr.
[ Edited by cupcheck on Mar 22, 2010 at 6:13 PM ]
Matt Maiocco had a live chat today. Here is what he had to say about Spiller:

Quote:
I've heard Spiller had a great visit with the 49ers at the combine, but the question is whether the 49ers consider Spiller an every-down back.

Interesting note...
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Quote:
I've heard Spiller had a great visit with the 49ers at the combine, but the question is whether the 49ers consider Spiller an every-down back.

Interesting note...

Sing. already wrought up the topic of getting a COP back & RS..More to the point is, who is asking the question, MM or 49ers.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Don't really matter, STILL WANT.

Quote:

Interesting note...

Sing. already wrought up the topic of getting a COP back & RS..More to the point is, who is asking the question, MM or 49ers.

Precisely. This is not an every-down back league anymore and there is not player in the draft who is going to provide more ways to score and actually have the ability to do it from any point on the field than Spiller the Thriller.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by ttime1:

Quote:

Interesting note...

Precisely. This is not an every-down back league anymore and there is not player in the draft who is going to provide more ways to score and actually have the ability to do it from any point on the field than Spiller the Thriller.

"Any point on the field", this point hasn't been discussed enough. Field position last yr was a killer on the offense. deep in our own territory, 8 men in the box, run blitzes, immense presure on the OL. Staring at the 30-35 yd line would make play calling and execution much easyer, and spiller can do that and so much more.
It seems people view drafting Spiller as some kind of insult to F.Gore. Farthest thing from it. Giving Frank rest, and not take all the pounding will keep his legs fresh for the play offs, and extend his career. He'll appreciate Spiller drawing def. attention out of the box, reducing the pressure on the OL, and opening running lanes.

Its my impression Gore has been a little sensitive to someone taking his time. This may have to change and I believe Coffee could run if given some time with a solid OL. Still, I want Spiller - rare playmaking potential.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Spiller would be. a very worthy pick for SF. We need explosive playmakers on offense. Ask yourself, "how do I feel about Coffee being our RB threat when and if Gore misses time?" If the answer is less than pleased, then there you go. I wouldn't likely be inclined for such a selection had we only one 1st rounder... so this is a year where we can afford to treat ourselves and boost a struggling offense.

Still... the best plan would be to draft an OT with our first pick. Then, trade back into the 20's and take Jahvid Best.

Yeah, Oldman, I like this. How about I complicate it?

Trade the #13 pick for, say, the Ravens #25 and their #57.
Select Iupati at #17
Select Best at #25
Trade David Baas and our #49 to, say, the Lions for their #34.
Select Saffold at #34
Select fast CB/returner at #57
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersFan831:
idk why everybody likes spiller he is not an every down back not even close if it wasn't 4 jahvid best injury jahvid best would be the first R.B. taken and there is no way we draft a back up rb ,kr. this is wat we shoul do 1a. LT.TRENT WILLIAMS-solids our offensive line 1b.FS.TALOR MAYS-really fast safety hits like a linebaker but needs to polish up on passing covarage, 2round.WR,MARDY GILYARD-really good rout running and our future KR,PR, 3round.DE,LAMMAR HOUSTON- good devoleping defensive end for our future ,4round.OG,CIRON BLACK-will challange david bass for startin spot................6ring here we come

49ersFan, coming out strong with a mini mock on his first post.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
It seems people view drafting Spiller as some kind of insult to F.Gore. Farthest thing from it. Giving Frank rest, and not take all the pounding will keep his legs fresh for the play offs, and extend his career. He'll appreciate Spiller drawing def. attention out of the box, reducing the pressure on the OL, and opening running lanes.

Yeah I really don't get that either.

Gore views it as an insult. Wasn't he pissed when we drafted Coffee? Gore wants all the runs he can get. Just the way he is.

Ya, he's a warrior, wouldn't expect any thing less. That's why you've got to basically protect him from him self by getting a COP back. HE can see LT.& other every down backs wearing down, so he may not have as strong as a resentment.

• LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
I think a lot of people have a misconception of Spiller as "just a running back."

He's something the Niners have never had and he's such a weapon in different areas of the game that can completely help the Niners out.

Imagine a guy that can not only run the ball outside and inside the tackles, he can go in motion, he can line up in the slot, has great hands, can pickup blitzes, runs GREAT routes and can return kicks?

He's not just a running back, he's a weapon the 49ers desperately need.
idk why everybody likes spiller he is not an every down back not even close if it wasn't 4 jahvid best injury jahvid best would be the first R.B. taken and there is no way we draft a back up rb ,kr. this is wat we shoul do 1a. LT.TRENT WILLIAMS-solids our offensive line 1b.FS.TALOR MAYS-really fast safety hits like a linebaker but needs to polish up on passing covarage, 2round.WR,MARDY GILYARD-really good rout running and our future KR,PR, 3round.DE,LAMMAR HOUSTON- good devoleping defensive end for our future ,4round.OG,CIRON BLACK-will challange david bass for startin spot................6ring here we come

OK...just ignore the facts...LOL...The NFL IS NOT AN EVERY DOWN BACK ANYMORE. AND SPILLER IS NOT SIMPLY A RUNNING BACK!...LOL
Is Reggie Bush?

Is Chris Johnson?

Bush is used in spots. Does he help his team when healthy?

CJ runs a lot but is also spot used at times a lot too. Does his gamebreaking speed help his team?
Originally posted by ttime1:

OK...just ignore the facts...LOL...The NFL IS NOT AN EVERY DOWN BACK ANYMORE. AND SPILLER IS NOT SIMPLY A RUNNING BACK!...LOL

^this

doesn't matter how many touches he gets per game as long as he can make an impact

A word of widsom, if I may.

Around these parts, any mock that includes taking Taylor Mays with a first round pick is going to go over about as well as a fart in church. Mays couldn't cover someone with a blanket. To say you don't want to draft CJ, but your turning around and want to draft someone with a higher bust potential.
Share 49ersWebzone