There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Spiller an everydown back?

This offense needs playmakers. Spiller is just that, and he can immediately step in and hugely improve our return game which killed us last year
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
This offense needs playmakers. Spiller is just that, and he can immediately step in and hugely improve our return game which killed us last year

Completely agree
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Spiller was the only back in the nation to record a TD. in every game this yr.

Another interesting fact: Out of 55 total college games, he's only had 12 games of 100+ yards rushing. Of those 12 games, 5 of them came his freshman year.

Also, thoughout his college career, he's only carried the ball 20 times or more in 5 games. Of those 5 games, he went over 100 yds in 4 of them [best game: ('09 vs GT) 20 car, 233yds 4TDs].

You could argue this thing either way. He hasn't quite proven that he can carry the load, but he has proven that he can be productive when given the opportunity and he's managed to stay relatively injury-free. So, he appears pretty durable, as well...
  • yummy12
  • Info N/A
I think people are missing the point. He doesn't need to be an every down back for us. We have Gore for that. He plays like 10 to 15 snaps on offense and the rest will be kr/pr...
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
He doesn't need many touches...21 career TDs of 50 yds or more.
Originally posted by cupcheck:
He doesn't need many touches...21 career TDs of 50 yds or more.

average of only 5.5 yds a carry tho thats only 5 more than gore
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,558
Originally posted by yummy12:
I think people are missing the point. He doesn't need to be an every down back for us. We have Gore for that. He plays like 10 to 15 snaps on offense and the rest will be kr/pr...

Yeah, but if we're taking him that high I want him to be an eventual feature back when Gore retires.
Remains to be seen...many doubted Chris Johnson's ability to be an every down back, too, and we've seen what he can do. I think the bigger question is how much progress Singletary makes this off-season to revamp his OL, so that no matter who Alex hands the ball off to, they've got a better chance to make plays.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Because if we're going to take this guy he has to not only return punts and kickoffs and spell Gore, but to eventually replace him as the starter. Is he an everydown back?

No, he is not!
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,321
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Remains to be seen...many doubted Chris Johnson's ability to be an every down back, too, and we've seen what he can do. I think the bigger question is how much progress Singletary makes this off-season to revamp his OL, so that no matter who Alex hands the ball off to, they've got a better chance to make plays.

this
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,558
Originally posted by stormman:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Because if we're going to take this guy he has to not only return punts and kickoffs and spell Gore, but to eventually replace him as the starter. Is he an everydown back?

No, he is not!

Then we shouldn't take him.
You're really asking the wrong question, because it's no longer about being an "every down" back. More and more, the NFL is about situational players and packages, which means the real question becomes, "is this guy a playmaker?" If they're a RB, WR, TE, can they make the big catch/break off the big run and more importantly, do something special when the ball is in their hands? This is the real question to ask in today's NFL.

The answer to that with regards to Spiller: YES
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,558
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
You're really asking the wrong question, because it's no longer about being an "every down" back. More and more, the NFL is about situational players and packages, which means the real question becomes, "is this guy a playmaker?" If they're a RB, WR, TE, can they make the big catch/break off the big run and more importantly, do something special when the ball is in their hands? This is the real question to ask in today's NFL.

The answer to that with regards to Spiller: YES

Then we should take him.
Spiller would be. a very worthy pick for SF. We need explosive playmakers on offense. Ask yourself, "how do I feel about Coffee being our RB threat when and if Gore misses time?" If the answer is less than pleased, then there you go. I wouldn't likely be inclined for such a selection had we only one 1st rounder... so this is a year where we can afford to treat ourselves and boost a struggling offense.

Still... the best plan would be to draft an OT with our first pick. Then, trade back into the 20's and take Jahvid Best.
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
Spiller was the only back in the nation to record a TD. in every game this yr.

Another interesting fact: Out of 55 total college games, he's only had 12 games of 100+ yards rushing. Of those 12 games, 5 of them came his freshman year.

Also, thoughout his college career, he's only carried the ball 20 times or more in 5 games. Of those 5 games, he went over 100 yds in 4 of them [best game: ('09 vs GT) 20 car, 233yds 4TDs].

You could argue this thing either way. He hasn't quite proven that he can carry the load, but he has proven that he can be productive when given the opportunity and he's managed to stay relatively injury-free. So, he appears pretty durable, as well...

Those stats are still a bit misleading considering he shared the ball with James Davis for three seasons. As good as he was during those first three years as a change of pace guy, I think he definitely performed his best in his senior season as the featured guy, especially with a rookie QB and rookie OC helming the offense.