LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

Is Spiller an everydown back?

Originally posted by TXNinerFan52:
What I don't I don't get is why people on this board want to draft a running back in the 1st round to SPLIT time with Gore. We have other major needs like OT, OG, FS, and CB. If we used our two 1st round pick on players to fill two of these positions OT, OG, FS or CB we would expect these two players to play full time.

Are we really better off drafting Spiller which RB is not a position of need than drafting for need. I know I know we should draft the best player available. We should draft the best player available within reason. No way in hell would we draft a player that plays Willis position I don't care if he was the best player available.

My last point is we drafted Coffee in the 3rd round last year to give Gore a break. Now most of the fans want to draft another running back in the 1st round.

Agreed.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Not just a back, the #1 back, the #1 RS, one of the fastest play makers this yr. COP backs this yr. at a spot of value. This kid is special, Coffee is well, house blend.
[ Edited by cupcheck on Mar 18, 2010 at 7:15 PM ]
What I don't I don't get is why people on this board want to draft a running back in the 1st round to SPLIT time with Gore. We have other major needs like OT, OG, FS, and CB. If we used our two 1st round pick on players to fill two of these positions OT, OG, FS or CB we would expect these two players to play full time.

Are we really better off drafting Spiller which RB is not a position of need than drafting for need. I know I know we should draft the best player available. We should draft the best player available within reason. No way in hell would we draft a player that plays Willis position I don't care if he was the best player available.

My last point is we drafted Coffee in the 3rd round last year to give Gore a break. Now most of the fans want to draft another running back in the 1st round.

What I don't get is why people insist that we need a FS. Goldson played great last season. We need a SS to groom behind Lewis, along with Curtis Taylor and Reggie Smith. You don't generally need to spend an early pick on a SS (or a G for that matter). Plus, we have some depth at CB. Sure, it could be upgraded, but it's not exactly a position of need.

The only position we truly need is a RT. We are in a position to spend our early picks on the BPA, whether that's an OT, SS, RB, Ret Sp, OG, OLB, CB, etc..

I personally see Tackle as our biggest need, however its very likely the best Tackles will be long gone before we pick. And in that case I don't think we should reach and even still that only accounts for one of the two picks.
Guard is not a huge need we have both of our starters from last year returning and with Snyder back on the bench we would have our top backup as well.

At corner where we have Clements coming back to start alongside Spencer, with Brown at nickle a rookie might not be able to see the field very much so that's not a huge need either. We want to get younger at the position, but if the guy is not gonna be expected to see the field right away why spend a first rounder then?

Free Saftey is definitely not a need, Goldson is the starter there and should be there for a very long time to come. Also Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor are young players who we have been developing at that position. You might of meant Strong Safety and while finding a replacement for Michael Lewis should be on the to do list it is not a pressing need, especially with the aforementioned safeties on the roster whom we should hope would be able to step in if needed.
(Our safety positions have often been said to be interchangeable, as mentioned by Goldson himself.)

All of which brings us back to Spiller. In my opinion, he fills a much bigger than need for this team with his ability in the return game. By statistical ranking he is one of the, if not THE best return man in NCAA Division 1 history, we had the worst return game in the league last season, and that was definitely a contributing factor to us losing games last season. The chance to turn a negative into a positive. That's why he has first round value.
Offensively guys like Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush, and Desean Jackson our an example of what other teams are doing with similarly talented players. It takes creativity to some degree, but shouldn't that be a goal of any offense?

It's the Reggie Bush effect, you have to respect the home run threat which opens up everything else, if you don't respect the home run threat well that's when they hit home runs. Is that so far fetched, or have people become so accustomed to our offense being mediocre that they no longer want to even try and make it better?

There's no guarantee that he would be the playmaker he was in college, but we know what our offense is without him and it is several shades short of dynamic. Shouldn't we be focused on trying to rectify that problem? It seems like some people are operating out of fear, wanting to take a "safe pick" instead of a "risk" I say we've been doing that and look where that has got us. Kentwan Balmer over Desean Jackson. All I personally want, is to try to improve out team anyway possible, a guy who can do it in two facets of the game has a lot of value in my eyes.
One word no.
Spiller is a gamebreaker and worth picking wherever we can get him.
I like Spiller but I'm not sure he can hold up as an every down back because of his running style. He runs very up-right, and he's not the biggest of RB's. So unless he can modify his style somewhat to avoid big shots he'll take in the NFL, I won't view him as an every down back...
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

I personally see Tackle as our biggest need, however its very likely the best Tackles will be long gone before we pick. And in that case I don't think we should reach and even still that only accounts for one of the two picks.
Guard is not a huge need we have both of our starters from last year returning and with Snyder back on the bench we would have our top backup as well.

At corner where we have Clements coming back to start alongside Spencer, with Brown at nickle a rookie might not be able to see the field very much so that's not a huge need either. We want to get younger at the position, but if the guy is not gonna be expected to see the field right away why spend a first rounder then?

Free Saftey is definitely not a need, Goldson is the starter there and should be there for a very long time to come. Also Reggie Smith and Curtis Taylor are young players who we have been developing at that position. You might of meant Strong Safety and while finding a replacement for Michael Lewis should be on the to do list it is not a pressing need, especially with the aforementioned safeties on the roster whom we should hope would be able to step in if needed.
(Our safety positions have often been said to be interchangeable, as mentioned by Goldson himself.)

All of which brings us back to Spiller. In my opinion, he fills a much bigger than need for this team with his ability in the return game. By statistical ranking he is one of the, if not THE best return man in NCAA Division 1 history, we had the worst return game in the league last season, and that was definitely a contributing factor to us losing games last season. The chance to turn a negative into a positive. That's why he has first round value.
Offensively guys like Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush, and Desean Jackson our an example of what other teams are doing with similarly talented players. It takes creativity to some degree, but shouldn't that be a goal of any offense?

It's the Reggie Bush effect, you have to respect the home run threat which opens up everything else, if you don't respect the home run threat well that's when they hit home runs. Is that so far fetched, or have people become so accustomed to our offense being mediocre that they no longer want to even try and make it better?

There's no guarantee that he would be the playmaker he was in college, but we know what our offense is without him and it is several shades short of dynamic. Shouldn't we be focused on trying to rectify that problem? It seems like some people are operating out of fear, wanting to take a "safe pick" instead of a "risk" I say we've been doing that and look where that has got us. Kentwan Balmer over Desean Jackson. All I personally want, is to try to improve out team anyway possible, a guy who can do it in two facets of the game has a lot of value in my eyes.

Pleasure to read your post. Well considered and backed by facts.
Why does everything have to be in such a box. Is he a everydown TE, WR, LB. Well, it depends on what you do on everydown. Is Westbrook an everydown back looking at what he does. Well if your offense is built like the Eagles then yes.

I think that are only about 3 Tackles worthy of a top 20 pick, meaning impactful starting players. The rest are boom or bust. CJ Spiller is probably one of the most impactful players i have ever seem, even without the pumped up left coast hype of Reggie Bush (I do like Reggie Bush)

Special Teams is a huge part of our wins and losses recently with an offense that rarely decides to move the ball. This guy may be the best return guy I have seen. And whatever capacity he could add to our offense THIS YEAR is desperately needed.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Welcome Leon , always good to hear a voice of reason.

Originally posted by noobie:
Hes Reggie Bush without as good of hands.

Spiller's faster
Originally posted by mebemused:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

Pleasure to read your post. Well considered and backed by facts.

Great post. When you think of how many close games the Niners played last year where one or two big plays could have been the difference, it's tough not to agree. Plus you add in the fact that the everydown back is becoming rarer every season.
[ Edited by Ronnie49Lott on Mar 19, 2010 at 4:54 PM ]
Drafting Spiller really does make sense.

We make it a priority to teach our WR's to block downfield. We even signed Brandon Jones to a long term deal, and one of his few skills is downfield blocking.

Alex Smith doesn't have a big arm, and he never will. So why not run more check downs and screens? Spiller would definitely help here.

Chester Pitts spoke about the 49ers running a zone-blocking system. Carolina's rushing attack is an example of how zone-blocking can be effective with a speedy RB.

When we drafted Coffee, we didn't draft a compliment to Gore, we drafted a RB with the same style as Gore, but with less flare. Imagine having to gameplan against Crabs, (maybe Morgan), VD, Gore, Spiller!
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Drafting Spiller really does make sense.

We make it a priority to teach our WR's to block downfield. We even signed Brandon Jones to a long term deal, and one of his few skills is downfield blocking.

Alex Smith doesn't have a big arm, and he never will. So why not run more check downs and screens? Spiller would definitely help here.

Chester Pitts spoke about the 49ers running a zone-blocking system. Carolina's rushing attack is an example of how zone-blocking can be effective with a speedy RB.

When we drafted Coffee, we didn't draft a compliment to Gore, we drafted a RB with the same style as Gore, but with less flare. Imagine having to gameplan against Crabs, (maybe Morgan), VD, Gore, Spiller!

49ers won 4 Bowls and had a 20 year stint as a top offensive team using the ZBS. Since we stopped that scheme we havent broke .500 and had cellar dwelling offenses and +50 sacks against us.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Spiller was the only back in the nation to record a TD. in every game this yr.
Share 49ersWebzone