There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

if i had to predict niners draft today...

given what i think mcloughan might reasonably do

rd one trent williams oklahoma offensive tackle
rd one dan wiliams nose tackle tennessee
rd two devin mccurty cornerback rutgers
rd three joe mckingiht running back usc....he would be the kick returner
rd four jermaine cunningham outside line backer florida
rd five riley cooper wide receiver florida
rd six rashawn jackson fullback virginia
rd seven jeff byers guard/center usc
Originally posted by hofer36:

rd one trent williams oklahoma offensive tackle
rd one dan wiliams nose tackle tennessee
rd two devin mccurty cornerback rutgers
rd three joe mckingiht running back usc....he would be the kick returner
rd four jermaine cunningham outside line backer florida
rd five riley cooper wide receiver florida
rd six rashawn jackson fullback virginia
rd seven jeff byers guard/center usc

I would agree, for some reason I see us getting Trent Williams and if they can't work out a long term deal I could see us getting Dan Williams if he falls.
I wouldn't be bummed with that. If Byers can stay healty he may contribute. McKnight is an immediate upgrade in the return games. Even if we sign Abruyo for 3 years I wouldn't mind the Dan Williams pick. I'd love to see one more OL.
Originally posted by hofer36:

Scot has consistently drafted the BPA, so forecasting his picks will be tough for anyone until the 49ers are actually on the clock. Berry & possibly Haden are the only guys I see him taking ahead of Spiller.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Mar 6, 2010 at 10:37 AM ]
I also pride myself in being a "McCloughan Observer", and I sense that you could be right-on with the first 3 picks, especially now that Pashos has signed in Cleveland. I don't particularly like Trent Williams' agent (same as Crabtree), but I do like Williams much better than OT Davis or Campbell. Since Okung and Bulaga will be gone, Trent Williams is the guy @ #13.

Franklin is in a contract year with the franchise tag. McCloughan is not going to let this draft slip by without obtaining a talented NT-in-waiting. Dan Williams is an out-and-out stud from Scotty's favorite coference, the SEC, and got great training from NFL coach Monte Kiffin. He will be ready to contribute from Day 1. BTW, for those not paying attention, Balmer is most likely targeted to take over for Sopoaga at LDE at some point. Balmer is not a NT, just too tall and angular for that position.

My over-under total weight for the Niners in the first roiund, if they keep both 1st round picks in this draft, is 600 pounds (2 linemen, 1 offensive, 1 defensive).

I really like McCourty, but fear that too many others also do, and he may not last until #49. McCloughan knows that he needs more speed at CB and if he gets a blue-chipper this year, he can bring that player along slowly for a possible starting role in 2011. Scotty doesn't like to go earlier than the 3rd round on "small" players, but he will need and want to use a Round 2 pick for that purpose this year. He won't want to use a Round 1 pick for this purpose, so forget DB's Haden, Thomas and Wilson.

Beyond Round 2, it's really a crap shoot. If they select the first 3, as you have forecast, then they will likely select players for these positions somewhere in the later rounds: OG, OLB, PR/KR.

I also doubt that the club keeps all nine picks in this draft. I expect them to burn at least one pick from the 4th round or lower, to move up, probably on Day 2 or Day 3, to secure a particular player of interest.

Scotty forecasts 4 players for every Niner draft slot, whom he expects to be available and be good value at that spot. If someone slips down from a higher rating (like Crabtree) he goes BPA with the pick, or maybe even trades up a little to get an atractive guy who is slipping. Otherwise, he will :let the draft come to him" and pick the highest rated of his 4 "targets", tempered somewhat by positional need (if they are REALLY closely rated). That's not today's need, but Scotty's perception of need 1-2 years down the line. If all 4 targeted players are gone, that's when Scotty will trade down. McCloughan explained this war-room approach several years ago, which I believe that he learned from Ron Wolf.
The OL was so lame I think Sing and Solari make him consider taking an OG before another OLB or WR. Certainly he won't take Iupati or any other OG in the first round.

Also, although I think Dan Williams would be a great pick, McC may not see things the same way -- he does not think of Balmer as only a backup and eventual replacement for Sopoaga, and he probably does not think we are going to lose Franklin.

And, with Pashos gone and Sims possibly gone but certainly on the downside, another OT may be considered in addition to Trent Williams, to develop as a backup OT in place of Sims and/or Snyder.
yeah our draft always ends up completely opposite of what we hoped for/expected
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home