There are 120 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If there's an early run on OTs, do we reach?

If there's an early run on OTs, do we reach?

Its Draft Day. There has been an early run on OTs. By the time the Niners are on the clock at 13, there have been four OTs taken (Okung, Davis, Bulaga, Williams.) The next best available OT we have rated as a late-first, early-second round grade (Campbell); the rest of the OTs have 2nd-3rd round grades. With intriguing, higher rated players at other positions available (Spiller, McClain, Haden) do we draft the OT too high out of need, do we gamble and hope to catch him at 17, or do we pass on the OT and get better rated players at positions we might not need as badly?
No, we don't reach. If worse comes to worse, we'll be able to get a tackle in the second or third.
Definitely not. BPA the whole way down... Should be able to grab some decent talent in the 3rd-4th rounds even if we don't get the OL we want in the first or 2nd.
No way do we reach!

If we didn't select Oher when Crabtree fell toi us last year, I can't possibly imagine Scotty passing on a player high on our board for an OT.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
No way do we reach!

If we didn't select Oher when Crabtree fell toi us last year, I can't possibly imagine Scotty passing on a player high on our board for an OT.

Agree
Nope, that's what coaching is for.
Loaded question!
A run on OTs mean there will be a lot of higher rated talent falling to us, win win either way.

Either we get a position of need, or we get some higher rated talent (for the position we are drafting)
CJ Spiller/Earl Thomas/Brandon Graham just to name a few. We have other guys who can fill out the #13 and #17 picks. We don't need an OT in the 1st. We can get one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

In fact if all the top tier Tackles are gone I'd rather not reach on a guy at #13/#17 who is second tier and really should be a 2nd round pick instead.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
CJ Spiller/Earl Thomas/Brandon Graham just to name a few. We have other guys who can fill out the #13 and #17 picks. We don't need an OT in the 1st. We can get one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

In fact if all the top tier Tackles are gone I'd rather not reach on a guy at #13/#17 who is second tier and really should be a 2nd round pick instead.

If there is a run on OT's in the 1st then that means the 2nd tier guys may not be there in the 2nd round, since people will be drafting them higher than they should go, like in 2008.

It would be a bad situation for the Niners, but I still think they should stick to drafting the best talent.