There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Favorite 49er draft day memory

I know we have not had too many good draft memories in the last 15 years or so, but I just thought we should reflect on some good memories over the years on draft day. In 2007, I was pumped to get Patrick Willis, I knew he would be a stud. I was happy to get Vernon Davis too in 2006. He is now living up to the hype

What are your favorite draft day memories?

[ Edited by Jamespowers on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:07:33 ]
Crabtree
for me has to be last yr with crabtree. soon as he got past up by al davis i started to get hyped and when jac and especially gb passed him up i was jumping up and down going nuts. when goodell read off we selected crabtree i was going almonds got a headache afterwards
1st round - CB Ronnie Lott
2nd round - CB Eric Wright
3rd round - SS Carlton Williamson

Don't tell me that drafting for need is a bad policy.

[ Edited by jimbagg on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:05:42 ]
Vernon!
I was in my dorm room in 2005, wondering who the 49ers would select with the #1 overall pick. I was ecstatic when we drafted Alex Smith, I was certain he would be a star.

5 years later, I see the world differently...how young and naive I was.
  • JD81
  • Veteran
Last year....Crabtree....I haven't been that happy as a 49er fan since the 2002 Wildcard....
  • pd24
  • Veteran
I was pumped for JJ Stokes.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JD81:
Last year....Crabtree....I haven't been that happy as a 49er fan since the 2002 Wildcard....

Yeah, he was the first real talent to slip to us. When we were good, I didn't care about the draft because I assumed we'd win 12-14 games every year while the draft pick sat on the bench.
I know it doesn't sound good now, but I remember being excited about drafting Alex Smith. At the time I was saying finally a QB for the future.
I was pumped about Patrick Willis and I remember sceaming "YES" when the Raiders passed on Crabs. I was listening on the radio when the Niners selected Crabtree. My wife knew the moment I got home that we got Crabtree.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

This!

Originally posted by rapid4:
Vernon!

definitely not this!

[ Edited by krizay on Mar 3, 2010 at 12:38:05 ]
Last year when we drafted Crabtree, I was on the porch watching the TV & as soon as Goodell read that card, I did a backflip off the porch into the yard & almost hurt myself. I was screaming so loud my 2 year old son thought I was really hurt so he started crying with me.
Originally posted by TX9R:

Yeah, he was the first real talent to slip to us. When we were good, I didn't care about the draft because I assumed we'd win 12-14 games every year while the draft pick sat on the bench.

I felt the same way. It did come back to haunt us.

The 3rd round of the draft has been good to use. Montana, 3rd round pick, Gore, 3rd pick, Owens 3rd round pick also.
Crabzzzzzzz
So many great Niner draft moments. I would guess it would be a toss up between:

Kentwan Balmer 2008
Alex Smith 2005
Rashaun Woods 2004
Kwame Harris 2003
Mike Rumph 2002
Gio Carmazzi 2000
Reggie McGrew 1999
RW McQuarters 1998
Jim Drukenmiller 1997
Israel Ifeanyi 1996
JJ Stokes 1995
Dana Hall 1992
Dexter Carter 1990
Keith Delong 1989
Daniel Stubbs 1988
Todd Shell 1984

Yes.. so many great Niner drat moments. OK.. so my final choice for the pick that still gets me SOOOO excited......... Jim I'm a Fricking Drunkenmiller
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home