There are 56 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Joe Haden runs a pedestrian 4.57 on his 40! (Eric Berry at 4.45)

Originally posted by foreign49er:
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
Haden better pray his azz turns it around on his pro day, or he's going to go on a big slide. All I can say is WOW, he didn't look good at all today.

I thought he looked pretty good in drills, not too good at all in the 40.

Not compared to Mays and Berry he didn't. They kept talking how stiff his hips looked.

Berry I agree with but Mays? Mays' change of direction was slow and his hips looked a lot stiffer than Haden's. Berry looked the best but Haden didn't look bad at all after the 40 either.

Okay, but what do you do with Haden? Is he going to be a zone guy, cause I don't see him playing man coverage.
Haden better pray his azz turns it around on his pro day, or he's going to go on a big slide. All I can say is WOW, he didn't look good at all today.

I thought he looked pretty good in drills, not too good at all in the 40.

Not compared to Mays and Berry he didn't. They kept talking how stiff his hips looked.

Berry I agree with but Mays? Mays' change of direction was slow and his hips looked a lot stiffer than Haden's. Berry looked the best but Haden didn't look bad at all after the 40 either.

Okay, but what do you do with Haden? Is he going to be a zone guy, cause I don't see him playing man coverage.

We don't play a lot of man.... We run a lot of zone and zone blitzes so yeah he'd be a zone guy. I think he could play man too though. Just my opinion.
Ed Reed also ran a 4.45 at the '02 combine. Coincidence? I think not!
Originally posted by pwilly52:
Ed Reed also ran a 4.45 at the '02 combine. Coincidence? I think not!

haha thats pretty cool if hes there at 8 i say we trade up

ok and about haden when did we all start being al davis??? he looked good in the drills and the most important thing to look at is game tape which he plays like a 4.4 4.5 speed and is ights out

40 doesnt mean anything no player in nfl runs without cleats and pads and in shorts with their faces clenched and their eyes closed if they did we would have a problem
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

P.S. As I've mentioned to you in other threads, certain teams are much better at identifying talent than others. Personally, I think the jury is still out on Scotty as most of his "Impact" players have been high in the first round. Manny hasn't done what he was suppose to, Gore would of been a first without injury and Balmer is a question mark, not to mention Baas, Brandon Williams, Coffee, Robinson, Wallace and a list of others Im too tired to mention.

You can take Coffee out of that equation he has few career carries as a pro with shoddy playcalling when he was in the game to base a fair evaluation off of.

Some of those mid-round picks are not even Scot's. Nolan had final say at that time.[/quote]

Like I said, the jury is still out. IMO, he hasn't proven to be anything special as a GM. Outside of Gore, none of his later round picks could be considered diamonds in the rough. Maybe Goldson if he pans out.

Not sure whose pick Haralson or Morgan was but those were good finds in the mid to late rounds.

I'm not sold on Morgan or Haralson personally. If they where in the draft today with everything that I know, I might pick Morgan in the 5th and Haralson in the 3rd or 4th. WR are a dime a dozen and Morgan just looks like one of the dozen to me. In fact, in some of my other post I've said Haralson is the odd man out between Lawson and Brooks. He doesn't do any one or two things exceptional like the other two.

With that said, I dont mean to be calling you out personally. I'm just very very passionate about getting our Oline fixed at all cost. Its my belief that if we did nothing else this off season it would be a huge success and enough to put us in the playoffs.

That statement is chalk full of fail. From 2005-2008 of nearly 100 WR's drafted from rounds 3-7 only 3 ever posted 1000 yards or more. Top notch WR's (guys who are true #1's or 2's) are hard to find.

I apologize. What I meant is WR of Morgans caliber are a dime a dozen.I dont think Morgan is a legit number 2 let alone a number 1.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame

P.S. As I've mentioned to you in other threads, certain teams are much better at identifying talent than others. Personally, I think the jury is still out on Scotty as most of his "Impact" players have been high in the first round. Manny hasn't done what he was suppose to, Gore would of been a first without injury and Balmer is a question mark, not to mention Baas, Brandon Williams, Coffee, Robinson, Wallace and a list of others Im too tired to mention.

You can take Coffee out of that equation he has few career carries as a pro with shoddy playcalling when he was in the game to base a fair evaluation off of.

Some of those mid-round picks are not even Scot's. Nolan had final say at that time.[/quote]

Like I said, the jury is still out. IMO, he hasn't proven to be anything special as a GM. Outside of Gore, none of his later round picks could be considered diamonds in the rough. Maybe Goldson if he pans out.

Not sure whose pick Haralson or Morgan was but those were good finds in the mid to late rounds.

I'm not sold on Morgan or Haralson personally. If they where in the draft today with everything that I know, I might pick Morgan in the 5th and Haralson in the 3rd or 4th. WR are a dime a dozen and Morgan just looks like one of the dozen to me. In fact, in some of my other post I've said Haralson is the odd man out between Lawson and Brooks. He doesn't do any one or two things exceptional like the other two.

With that said, I dont mean to be calling you out personally. I'm just very very passionate about getting our Oline fixed at all cost. Its my belief that if we did nothing else this off season it would be a huge success and enough to put us in the playoffs.

That statement is chalk full of fail. From 2005-2008 of nearly 100 WR's drafted from rounds 3-7 only 3 ever posted 1000 yards or more. Top notch WR's (guys who are true #1's or 2's) are hard to find.

I apologize. What I meant is WR of Morgans caliber are a dime a dozen.I dont think Morgan is a legit number 2 let alone a number 1.

I agree with that. He might be with further development but so far I have seen a good #3 out there but not a #2.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by znk916:
Like I mentioned in the Mays thread, I don't think Scotty Mac would draft Haden anyways, he has shown a strong tendency to fill secondary needs via FA or mid-late rounds in the draft.

Scotty will have to have him rated highly to forget that he is not 6'0 feet. Every db that Scott drafts are big corners or saftey guys.

But I'm not sure I'm glad he slides, this will make somebody else in the top 12 take Buluga or Williams before our turn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch#v=QodY-8um3NA&feature=related

I love how after someone has a bad work-out everyone starts becoming a hater. This man is a football player, a freak athlete, and put him on the niners any day!
I was very surprised about his time. Now, lets see what he runs at his pro day before any harsh judgments are made. But overall I'm not convinced with him to pull the trigger at 13. Yeah he's the best CB in this years draft class......but is that a reflection on him or the draft class?
double post

[ Edited by jreff22 on Mar 3, 2010 at 06:46:04 ]
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GORO:
Like I mentioned in the Mays thread, I don't think Scotty Mac would draft Haden anyways, he has shown a strong tendency to fill secondary needs via FA or mid-late rounds in the draft.

Scotty will have to have him rated highly to forget that he is not 6'0 feet. Every db that Scott drafts are big corners or saftey guys.

But I'm not sure I'm glad he slides, this will make somebody else in the top 12 take Buluga or Williams before our turn.

Not sure whose pick Holly or DJ were but they were both 5"10 and just under 190. T-Brown was one that Scot looked at closely at the Texas Pro Day and he was 5"10 190, so that statement that we only draft big corners is false.
Originally posted by GORO:

Not sure whose pick Holly or DJ were but they were both 5"10 and just under 190. T-Brown was one that Scot looked at closely at the Texas Pro Day and he was 5"10 190, so that statement that we only draft big corners is false.

Also he slid because of some red flags...his value was rated higher then where we got him.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by filthydogma:
Really I can't stand the fact that people ,our own FO included, think that we can just dream up a starter out of the third fourth or fifth round. Let me tell you something that my mom used to say "just cause you put syrup on s&%t doesn't make it pancakes"

One of the best LT's in the NFL, Michael Roos was a 2nd round pick. OL do not need to be selected in the 1st round to be great. Go look at the Saints OL that got them to the SB :

LT Jermon Bushrod 4th round (The usual starter has been out all year but Jammal Brown was a 1st round pick)
LG Carl Nicks - 5th round
C Jonathan Goodwin 5th round (originally drafted by NYJ)
RG Jahri Evans 4th round
RT Jon Stinchcomb 2nd round

The Colts :

LT Charlie Johnson: Sixth-round pick, 2006
LG Ryan Lilja: Claimed off waivers from Chiefs, 2004
C Jeff Saturday: Undrafted free agent, 1999
RG Kyle DeVan: Undrafted free agent, 2008
RT Ryan Diem: Fourth-round pick, 2001

The Pats when they won their 1st SB :

LT Matt Light 2nd round
LG Mike Compton 3rd round pick (signed from Detroit)
C Damien Woody 1st round
RG Joe Andruzzi UDFA (Claimed off waivers from Packers)
RT Greg Robinson-Randall 4th round

So pass the s**t before my pancakes get cold while I stand by the BPA philosophy.

Good post. Although I do want to know, did the Saints, Pats and Colts invest picks in high round picks in the line only for them to fail and be overtaken by the latter round picks?

-9fA

The Colts took Ugoh and Pollak in back to back years (08 & 09) and neither have panned out to date.

The Saints have 1st round pick Jamaal Brown who has been average at LT but won the SB with a 4th rounder as the LT due to an injury to Brown.

I think they all have never shied from taking an OL early but have found good values in mid rounds or via FA as well and are always looking to find players of value wherever and whenever they can find them.

An interesting note the Saints and Pats have taken 1 OL this decade in the first round (Mankins at the tail end for NE, Brown in the middle of the 1st for N.O.) whereas the Colts have not taken a single OL in the first in this decade.

All those teams have great QB's which help immensely yes, but it's interesting to see that the Colts and Pats have not needed to spend their top pick each year to build a respectable OL. Makes me question how good are our area scouts and how much Scot (and Nolan) have listened to them vs taking what they considered were the better football players.

You are forgetting one other big factor-good coaching. The niners seleted two OL in Walshes time in the first-Bubba and Barton. However they had a great OL coach. Plus there off. schemes weren't so predictable-both of which the pats saints and colts have.

Bubba was taken in round two. Steve Wallace eventually replaced him a fourth rounder. But Harris Barton was my favorite tackle. Ande Bualuga reminds me of him.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Is Joe Haden really a 4.57 ?

Florida said he has ran a 4.33 on campus, they said Louis Murphy ran a 4.25 (timed at the combine as 4.32), Harvin reportedly ran a 4.28 (timed at combine as 4.39).

Florida has a 40 board of sorts in the locker room.

How those times are calculated (be it by hand or electronically) clearly the combine times are but a tad slower than the times Florida lists but the discrepancy between Haden 4.57 and Florida's 4.33 is much great than that of Murphy and Harvin. Deion was so very quick to knock Haden's technique/stance when he ran the 40 which likely is what contributed to his poor time.

I think until the combine rolls around, there is no way to truly tell if that time represents any truth to Haden's actual timed speed from the combine especially considering he play much faster on film.

I expect him to run again at the UF pro day and likely run a 4.4 40.
FYI the highest corner that Scotty has drafted is Tarrell Brown in the 5th round. There's an article from a few years back where he stated his preference for acquiring veteran corners.