LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 370 users in the forums

better approach to draft/offseason--offense or defense?

would niners be better off trying to focus on making a well regarded defense into a possible top ranked defense, or improving the offense so that they have a balanced squad

or in other words, shoot for a top ranked defense and a medioce offense or solid, but not top ranked, squads on both sides of the ball
i think we have a good defense. sure they were on the field too long, sometimes by their own fault, but also cuz of the inept offense. i say build up the offense. unless Berry is there at 13, i think improving the oline will ensure we can run the ball and get the defense some rest, and then they'll play even better.
oh yeah, just wanted to add, if we can play with a lead, the defense will also play better.

[ Edited by Sinsation on Mar 2, 2010 at 03:54:32 ]
I think we need to draft DEFENSE.

If you look at our D., yes we have a solid, top ten unit, but we also have several players in their 30's (Spikes, Lewis, Franklin, Smith, Clements, Bly, Roman, Harris) and we need to get younger/faster in a hurry.
we need to be balanced in our offseason approach

The O-line needs to be addressed big time, so i think we need to get guys who can come in and make an immediate impact.

yes the D has some guys who are in their 30s, but besides Spikes and Lewis they still have a few good years in them, so on d we dont need to draft guys that will come in and start right away(unless a berry or haden fall to us)
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod33:

The O-line needs to be addressed big time, so i think we need to get guys who can come in and make an immediate impact.

yes the D has some guys who are in their 30s, but besides Spikes and Lewis they still have a few good years in them, so on d we dont need to draft guys that will come in and start right away(unless a berry or haden fall to us)

A pass rusher who can push for PT would be a good pickup either via FA or the draft. We might have had good overall sack numbers but the OLB's as a whole haven't been getting to the QB or hurrying the opposing QB's consistently enough.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Simply by playing more together in the same scheme will improve our defense as there is talent. Our Oline needs a serious influx of talent and should be priority 1, but we also need to be more creative in our playcalling.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by valrod33:

A pass rusher who can push for PT would be a good pickup either via FA or the draft. We might have had good overall sack numbers but the OLB's as a whole haven't been getting to the QB or hurrying the opposing QB's consistently enough.

Agreed
We need to draft O line, but I also think in the middle rounds we should draft D we have some older vets that can pass along alot of knowledge to some younger players.
Offense.

We need O Line and gamebreaking speed demons. We need guys who can block and put the ball in the endzone. All of the rule changes are for the offense. And the game is becomming one of more high powered offense. 3 of the final 4 teams had explosive offenses. The Colts, Vikes, and Saints. This is the way of the future in the NFL.

Get a good O Line, lots of good WR's/TE's, speedy gamebreakers, change up speed backs and spread the field. Score, score, score and score some more.
Share 49ersWebzone