There are 157 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Post-combine first 49 picks mock draft

1 St. Louis (Needs: Everything except RB): Ndamukong Suh DT. Comment: A team devoid of talent needing help on both sides of the line. Burger is not getting younger so Bradford could be a strong possibility. But the Rams cannot gamble with the top pick and has to go with the consensus sure thing. If Colt McCoy drops to top of second, then they might push the button then.

2 Detroit (Needs: OL, DL, LB, and DB): Gerald McCoy DT. Comment: McCoy is not as stout as Suh in the running game but is a quicker player and better pass rusher. Considered the second best overall player in the draft, he has to be the pick for a DL that has had no one since they let go of Shaun Rogers. OL should be addressed in second round.

3 Tampa Bay (Needs: Any position on defense): Eric Berry S. Comment: Tampa wants DL help but with the two DL giants gone, do they trade out or choose the consensus third best defensive player. If they cannot find trade partners, they go ahead and pick the Ed Reed type ball hawking safety Eric Berry. Picking a DE like Dunlap or Jason Paul-Pierre a little too much of a reach here.

4 Washington (Needs: OL, DE, QB, and WR): Sam Bradford QB. Comment: Even with Shanahan tendering an offer to keep Campbell back with the team, if the franchise QB is out there, he has to pull the trigger. The consensus for best QB is Bradford in this draft so got to believe they pull that trigger instead of OT Okung and hope a Charles Brown drops in the second round.

5 Kansas City (Needs: OL, DL, DB, and WR): Russell Okung OT. Comment: No question OL needs help. KC is in the in-enviable position to choose the highest rated OT on the board in Okung. They probably will follow that up with an OG in the second.

6 Seattle (Needs: OT, OG, DL, QB, and DB): Bryan Bulaga OT. Comment: With Peter Carroll’s recent hiring, he can see Seattle’s OL is old and slow. First thing he does is choose the OT who can immediately start and be put in place with his experience in the professional zone blocking schemes. Unlike Davis and Williams, Bulaga has been thought by one of the best OL coaches in Firentz. Bulaga may not have the future potential of Davis or Campbell, he is the most polished at this time. Now they can go for DL help with their pick.

7 Cleveland (Needs: DL, WR, CB, TE, RB, RT and RG): Dez Bryant WR. Comment: With Cribbs and Jerome Harrison, they have no need for Spiller but do need someone who can stretch the field since they traded Braylon Edwards. Here is Bryant who is the top WR and worthy of a top ten pick. Only problem is his agent is Eugene Parker and best friend is Deon Sanders. But think they both learned their lesson last year at the expense of our Niners from doing the dumb thing again. Haden is probably another option but he is not at a shutdown corner level. He is good but feel Bryant may be a better grade then Haden.

8 Oakland (Needs: OL, DE, QB, TE, and OLB): Bruce Campbell OT. Comment: After what we learned from last year, we know Big Al loves workout warriors. Got to feel he cannot stay away from Campbell who is chiseled like Adonis, strong as Hercules, and runs like Mercury for a man over 300 lbs. Only problem is has started only a handful of games and on film alone is worthy of a second rounder at best. But that won’t stop Al from his man-crush.

9 Buffalo (Needs: OT, QB, OLB, WR, and DL): Anthony Davis OT. Comment: With no OTs left to protect the QB or make holes for the RB, they need help and they need it fast. Here is Anthony Davis who can be a world beater if he is properly motivated. If so, then he could be viewed as the best OT to come out of this draft. If not, there will be heads that roll in the front office.

10. Jacksonville (Needs: DE, S, OLB, interior OL, and QB) Derrick Morgan DE. Comment: Pass rush, pass rush, pass rush. They really need one. Anyone who saw the Niner-Jacksonville game can see this. Derrick Morgan is considered the highest rated DE and will be the pick if Jacksonville commits back to a 4-3 defense. If they want to go back to a 3-4, then have to change the choice to Jason Paul-Pierre or Brandon Graham.

11. Denver (from Chicago) (Needs: DL, LB, CB, WR, and QB) Joe Haden CB. Comment: Their DL is adequate but not great and needs some upgrading. ILB can also use some retooling. But their corners are getting old. Even though they have Champ Bailey, he is starting to show age and has gotten beaten at times. So now is the time to look for his eventual replacement. With Haden dropping to their laps, they now have the person who they can groom as Bailey’s successor. He may not be the shut-down corner, but he is good and an all round player. The other option could be ILB McClain but with corners being valued higher, Haden is the pick.

12 Miami (Needs: DL, OLB, WR, CB, interior OL, and QB) Dan Williams DT. Comment: With DT, OLB, and WR as big needs, the available players are Dan Williams and LB McClain. Originally thought if McClain lasted this long, Miami would snatch him in a heartbeat. But McClain’s combine was not gangbusters and there are still questions if McClain was good because of the DL protection Bama gave him. Based on that, Parcells feels they need that big fat man in the middle. Williams may not be Suh or McCoy, he is just a notch below and an anchor for the middle.

13 San Francisco (Needs: OL, CB, OLB pass rusher, SS, and QB) Trent Williams OT. Comment: I personally like RB Spiller and OLB Graham but what I personally do and do not like is no concern. What matters is the Niners have to address the OT. I thought we go in another direction because did not think we could get one of the top four OTs. But with Big Al doing what Big Al does, allows us to get a player that probably would not have lasted to us. That being said, Trenty Williams is the pick and the person the Niners can now put on RT for the next decade.

14 Seattle (from Denver) = (Needs: OT, OG, QB, and DB): Jimmy Clausen QB. Comment: They already picked their LT and now have the signal caller that he will protect for the next ten years. Looks like Seattle has confidently built for the future and now can look for DL and interior OL help for the next several rounds.

15 New York Giants (Needs: DL, OL, LB, and DB): Rolando McClain ILB. Comment: They need DL and OL help with both sides starting to age but how can they look a gift horse in the mouth. Never did they think McClain will fall this far. With that he is easily snapped up by the Giants who may potentially have their best ILB since Harry Carson.

16 Tennessee (Needs: DE, CB, LB, and WR): Jason Paul-Pierre DE. Comment: With an aging LB corp, really would have wanted McClain. Spikes is too early at this point. Current pass rushers are aging so this is an area that has to be addressed as well. With Paul-Pierre there and having the looks of Freak II, they pull the trigger on this USF diamond in the rough.

17 San Francisco (from Carolina) (Needs: see above) Brandon Graham OLB/DE. Comment: This guy has been destroying OTs all season and was a continuous pain to Byran Bulaga at Iowa. He increased his value at the Senior Bowl by beating just about every OT there. RB Spiller is really tempting here and gives the offense instant flash along with PR/KR duties. But there are a lot of players with PR/KR abilities in later rounds this year and with Manny Lawson becoming a FA after this year, have to go with a person with better pass rushing abilities. As they say, you cannot have too many pass rushers.

18. Pittsburgh (Needs DE, OT, ILB, and backup CB/S): Mike Iupati OT/OG. Comment: Here is a player that everyone loves because of his tenacity. But that was at guard. The senior bowl showed he still has some work to do if being switched to tackle. The right team may be able to teach that work into him. That team is Pittsburgh who always has abilities to create good lines.

19. Atlanta (Needs CB, DE, S, OLB, and WR): Carlos Dunlop DE. Comment: They really need guys to cover the corner but only one CB has a true first round grade and he’s already gone. Another area of need is DE pass rusher. Saying that, depending on the scout, Carlos Dunlop is a top twenty type of talent at the position and one Atlanta is grateful to pick at this point.

20. Houston (Needs G, CB, DT, S, and RB) C.J. Spiller RB. Comment: Their interior OL needs upgrading since they cannot even manage a yard against on goal-line situations. CB is also a weakness leading to many shootouts. But with a talent like Spiller still available, will have to fill OL in next round. Now they become really dangerous with Andre Johnson at WR at Spiller at RB/slot.

21. Cincinnati (Needs S, G, TE, WR, LB) Earl Thomas S. Comment: They really need a deep middle man who can be the enforcer in the back. With Thomas still available, this is a no-brainer. Even though he is not big, he plays big and can make plays off the ball. Mike Mayock even rates him higher than Berry.

22. New England (Needs OLB, ILB, RB, DL, and OL) Jared Odrick DT. Comment: They need to begin retooling the defense. With the loss of Seymore, need his replacement. With Odrick available, they have one of their 3-4 DE’s for the next half-decade.

23. Green Bay (Needs OL, OLB, S) Charles Brown OT. Comment: With Rodgers taking so many hits last year, it’s a wonder he can still stand. They need to provide him with upgrades at the tackle and guards. Might seem a little bit of a reach but he tested well at the combines and knows zone blocking schemes at USC. With that his stock will rise to where this may be appropriate value.

24. Philadelphia (Needs LB, G, CB, DE, and RB) Ryan Matthews RB. Comment: Their corners are aging along with many of the defenders but it may bit of a reach here to choose any of the corners like Cox, Wilson, or Robinson who are considered late-1st early-2nd round types. RB is also a need now that they waived Westbrook. With Matthews impressive workout at the combine at a solid 220 plus lbs, and good game film, Philly pulls the trigger here.

25. New York Jets (Needs S, WR, G, OLB, OT) Golden Tate WR. Comment: They have been needing a WR so bad for so long. No way Dez Bryant drops here so they look carefully look at the WR prospects. Tate made good impressions at the combine helping his cause with good 40 times and special teams ability. Considered a Steve Smith type players with similar build, the Jets pull the trigger on this Golden Domer.

26. Baltimore (Needs CB, WR, DE, NT, and TE) Arrelious Benn WR. Comment: Ozzy Newsome always goes with guys who produce. That track record has never failed him. Therefore, he will go with Arrelious Benn, the highest rated player left on the board in an area of need.

27. Arizona (Needs ILB, OT, OLB, CB, QB, and TE) Brandon Spikes ILB. Comment: With Warner’s retirement, QB may seem like a need but Leinart really never was a failure. He had a decent rookie season but could not beat out Warner who we see now as a potential Hall-of-Famer with his resurgence. Now retired, feel they will give Leinart a chance this year before deciding on drafting a QB. That said, Dansby is going to leave as a FA, so need to find a suitable replacement. With Spikes available and feeling a need, that is the choice.

28. Dallas (Needs S, OLB, OT, WR, and NT) Taylor Mays S. Comment: Feel the pokes will try to trade down because so many players are now down the next tier-level. If a trade cannot be pulled, they look for the next level of safeties between Mays, Allen, the two Jones’, and Burnett. So close but feel Mays physical abilities make him the pick over the others.

29. Minnesota (Needs CB, OLB, and QB) Colt McCoy QB. Comment: Originally thought Cox, Wilson, or Robinson but with Favre one year older, will need to have his future replacement. With McCoy there, what better then to have him learn for one year under Favre, and then take over the next year.

30. San Diego (Needs S, RB, NT, OT, and OLB) Jahvid Best, RB. Comment: With Merriman a question mark and free-agent, they need his replacement. But they then removed the franchise tag on Sproles and waived LT. This team needs RB in a big way. The only question is can Best hold up the whole year.

31. Indianapolis (Needs S, DL, OT, and OG) Brian Price DT. Comment: Price drops all the way to the bottom of the first round at a position of need for Indy and Indy snatches him up before the ink dries on the commissioner’s card.

32. New Orleans (Needs OT, OLB, S, and G) C Maurkice Pouncey. Comment: With all the higher rated OTs gone, New Orleans does not have to reach. They go for one of the better interior lineman and pull the trigger to help protect their franchise QB. Other options may be to trade down if they can find a partner.

ROUND TWO:
33 St. Louis - OT Rodger Saffold. Comment: Now is the time to start picking up body guards for Burger or whoever else will be playing that position for the Rams. Would have hoped QB McCoy drops here but go for the OT help first.

34 Detroit - OT Vladmir Ducasse. Comment: Now they go with strengthen the other side of the trenches. RT is a need and the run on the second-tier OTs begins to happen.

35 Tampa Bay – DE Segio Kindle. Comment: They now can address the DE they wanted and get lucky with Kindle dropping to them. Very quick DE who can help TB immediately.

36 Kansas City - OG Jon Asomoah. Comment: With Okung as their future LT, they now have his interior mate for the next ten years. This with Brendon Alberts from last year makes Matt Cassel sleep real well now.

37 Washington - OT Jason Fox. Comment: With the sudden rush of OTs, Washington pulls the trigger on the last of second tier tackles.

38 Cleveland – TE Jermaine Gresham. Comment: With the trade of Winslow, they were a revolving door at TE. Although there are other needs, Gresham is too much of value here and now gives them a go to TE with a go to WR.

39 Oakland – TE Rob Grownoski. Comment: They have other needs but a Gronowski is good value in an area of need for whoever is going to be QB in Oakland.

40 Seattle – DE Everson Griffin. Comment: Pete Carroll cannot believe his luck. He gets a player who he knows real well to help a DL that needs new young blood.

41 Buffalo – LB Sean Witherspoon. Comment: They want to go another OL, but the sudden rush of OTs and OGs being picked bring slim pickens at this point in the draft. They choose another area of need with value and pick Witherspoon.

42 Tampa Bay – CB Kyle Wilson. Comment: Now the run starts on the second tier corners. Wilson is a good corner who did very well at the Senior Bowl. His ability to return on ST is an added bonus.

43 Miami – OLB Ricky Sapp. Comment: Sapp is a great athlete who played DE in college and will not be converted to OLB in the pros.

44. New England – OLB Jerry Hughes. Comment: New England needs OLBs to help replenish that defense. Hughes is a good OLB pass rusher compliment to Odrick at DE.

45 Denver – NT Terrence Cody. Comment: Ex-49er NT Ronald Fields looked good early but tailed off at the end of the season. Will need a tag team NT mate and no one heavier than Cody. Him and Fields together on the nose should help the Broncos going forward.

46 New York Giants – CB Perrish Cox. Comment: NY would like to rebuild both sides of the line but value is not there at this point. So they go with the continued run on second-tier corners.

47 Carolina – DE Corey Wooten. Comment: Their DE and CBs are getting older. Have to see who is available at this point since they lost their first rounder to the Niners. Got to go with best available player and that seems to be DE Wooten. CB Patrick Robinson is a viable option but with Peppers future still in doubt and last year’s second rounder Brown’s poor performance, they try another DE.

48. New England – OG Mike Johnson. Comment: With the lost of their interior line to FA, they need solid replacements. Johnson has been practicing against Mt. Cody all the time and is a solid interior OG. Some may say a little bit of reach but trust NE chooses players who fit their system best.

49 San Francisco – CB Patrick Robinson. Comment: A gambler at times but is a one of the solid second-tier CBs out there. Also has PR potential.
Well thought out. I'd would hate it if Mike Johnson and Jon Asomoah were both gone in the 2nd. I am hoping we take one of those two in the second. Not sure if Kindle falls into the second. I am not a fan of Kindle, but some team will fall in love this is measure-ables.
That's a damn solid mock IMO.
real good mock. Only picks I have problems with are Best, Spikes, Price, (Colt) McCoy, and Wilson. Wilson had an amazing senior bowl and is a fast climber on draft boards. I believe wilson will go to Minnesotta as Colt McCoy will go in round 2. Next, Spike will drop to round 2, just like James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga and Curtis Lofton dropped to round 2. Next Price will be gone by 19 as either NYG or TEN will scoop him up, hes a real good player. Lastly (and this is my biggest problem) the chargers need an everydown back, and best is a change of pace back and is too similair to Sproles. They will pick Ryan Matthews or Anthony Dixon is round 2. They need a bigger back who runs with power.
Not bad as I think the picks make sense. However, there are some things I would change:

1) Can understand why Suh would get consideration but I really think that Bradford
will be the Rams pick. It just doesnt seem logical to me to pass on the QB

2) I would switch Denver and Clevelands pick. I think the Browns will take Haden
instead of Bryant. CB is a greater need and Haden is the safer pick

3) I will be shocked if Colt goes in round 1. He is a 2nd rounder at best IMO

4) You dont think Nate Allen is worthy of going in the top 49?

Lots of great picks though.[/center]
Not a huge fan of Robinson but I love the first round.

Props for not taking Spiller.
give me mccourty in da 2nd instead could be a slight reach though but I like him
  • LilAzn9er
  • Info N/A
I would be pissed if we pass up Spiller twice!
Nice mock.
I would have no problems with Williams and Graham. It's just hard to figure out McCloughan's board and his BPA ratings.

Last year they were ready to take Oher at 10 until Crabtree fell to them...Crabtree was apparently their number 1. Nobody else thought that highly of Oher...he went 23rd to Baltimore.

I guess my point is that McCloughan's board doesn't necessarily look like anybody else's, and nothing should surprise us.
Very nice, but I would take Cody if you still have him available in the second round.
Originally posted by GoldenGateFan:
real good mock. Only picks I have problems with are Best, Spikes, Price, (Colt) McCoy, and Wilson. Wilson had an amazing senior bowl and is a fast climber on draft boards. I believe wilson will go to Minnesotta as Colt McCoy will go in round 2. Next, Spike will drop to round 2, just like James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga and Curtis Lofton dropped to round 2. Next Price will be gone by 19 as either NYG or TEN will scoop him up, hes a real good player. Lastly (and this is my biggest problem) the chargers need an everydown back, and best is a change of pace back and is too similair to Sproles. They will pick Ryan Matthews or Anthony Dixon is round 2. They need a bigger back who runs with power.

I see your points. The Chargers pick of Best was one that had me waffling because of his size and injury history. But he is the best valued RB. There are others such as Auburn's Ben Tate and Georgia's Jonathan Dwyer but they are not as dynamic. And who knows, they may pick two RBs this year to compete. Regardng Matthews, my mock shows he would already be chosen by Philly who also have a real need at RB.

As for Minnesota, Favre is not going to last past this year. They have to look out for the future. Colt McCoy will not last past the Rams if they go with Suh in the first and definitely will not last past Buffalo. The other corners maybe worth the pick but they have to look out for the future.

As for Spikes, he is probably a solid second rounder but if Arizona finds no FAs next week, they will need Dansby's replacement bad.

Thanks for the comments.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Not bad as I think the picks make sense. However, there are some things I would change:

1) Can understand why Suh would get consideration but I really think that Bradford
will be the Rams pick. It just doesnt seem logical to me to pass on the QB

In response, I agree Bradford is good but with so many QBs becoming flops with the top pick, the Rams cannot gamble with the position that will earn more than many established All-Pros. At this position, you have to pick someone who is going to be as a sure thing as best as possible or else it will set you back another three years.

2) I would switch Denver and Clevelands pick. I think the Browns will take Haden
instead of Bryant. CB is a greater need and Haden is the safer pick

After seeing the 40 yard time, you can see why Haden will drop a little. Not too much but out of the top ten.

3) I will be shocked if Colt goes in round 1. He is a 2nd rounder at best IMO

Yes, but after Colt, the value of QBs really falls off sharp. And with Rams, Buffalo, and possibly Jacksonville ready to pounce in the second round, think Minnesota has to really look carefully at Colt with this pick.

4) You dont think Nate Allen is worthy of going in the top 49?

Yes if this is a normal year. But so much talent at the second-tier level that he will probably be in mid-to-late second round. Maybe even in third round because of the abundance of so many good second-tier safeties.

Lots of great picks though.[/center]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Nice mock.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
A post combine mock before the combine is/was over ?