There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Pro Days Updated*

• jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Quote:
Colt McCoy might not have the strong arm that Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford displayed earlier in the week, but that shouldn’t detract from a fine performance in front of scouts from 30 NFL teams (the Lions and Rams were the only teams not in attendance).

Of the 58 passes that McCoy threw at Texas’ pro day Wednesday, none hit the ground. McCoy connected on every pass to his four receivers — Texas’ Jordan Shipley, ex-Longhorns WR Brian Carter, Bengals WR Quan Cosby and former Rams WR Nate Jones — none of whom dropped a single pass.

McCoy kept all of his workout numbers from last month’s NFL Scouting Combine, and he didn’t do any individual drills. However, the consensus was that he had really good feet and moved around well while throwing the ball.
– Gil Brandt

You already know what Earl did. Apparently Kindle and Houston looked great in their respective drills.
I really hope the Niners consider Thomas if he is available at #17. This guy has instincts and speed.
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
I really hope the Niners consider Thomas if he is available at #17. This guy has instincts and speed.

After running a 4.37, he might not be there at 17 anymore. He's a FS that playe a LOT of man in the pass-happy Big 12. I think he could step in at CB right now.
AUSTIN, Texas — Earl Thomas already was in good standing with NFL scouts after an impressive combine performance last month. But the safety outdid himself — and every other prospect Texas had on display — at the school’s pro day Wednesday.

Thomas (5-10 5/8, 202) ran a blazing 4.37-second 40-yard dash, which would have tied for the third-fastest time at the combine. It also would have been the best time by .08 seconds among all defensive backs.

Thomas, an accomplished pianist who also plays the organ, saxophone and drums, has an interesting back story. He left school after his sophomore year (he was a redshirt sophomore last season), but coach Mack Brown explained to me that it was because the safety’s home in Orange, Texas, was devastated by Hurricane Rita in 2005, forcing his family to live in a hotel for a year.

Texas’ pro day was as big as ever, as 79 scouts and coaches representing 30 teams (the Rams and Lions were the only two not represented), including three head coaches, came together to watch QB Colt McCoy and 18 other draft prospects, including Thomas.

McCoy didn’t weigh in with the rest of his teammates, choosing to keep his measurements from the combine (6-1, 216). I’m told he’ll run drills and work starting around 1 p.m. ET. Check back shortly for an update.

Brown kicked things off with a big breakfast for all the scouts and coaches, as well as a 20-minute slide presentation on the history of all the players who have suited up for the Longhorns throughout the years.

Things are sure to pick up soon. Until then, here are some of the 19 prospects who will work out and the 40-yard dash times just completed indoors on FieldTurf:

CB Deon Beasley (5-foot-9 5/8, 180 pounds) ran 4.47 and 4.46 in the 40-yard dash.

DT Lamarr Houston (6-2 7/8, 300) will keep his 40 times from the combine.

LB Sergio Kindle (6-2 7/8, 249) will keep his 40 times from the combine.

WR Jordan Shipley (5-11 1/2, 187) ran 4.54 and 4.56 in the 40.

G Charlie Tanner (6-3 7/8, 305) ran 5.20 and 5.12 in the 40.

T Adam Ulatoski (6-6, 302) ran 4.58 and 4.56 in the 40.

LB Roddrick Muckelroy (6-1 5/8, 234) ran 4.73 and 4.75 in the 40.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Wed., March 31, 2:25 p.m.
As expected, there's a huge crowd in Austin for the Texas Longhorns pro day. Thirty NFL teams have at least on scout on hand.

The workout just started a while ago but in the early going, safety Earl Thomas has been the star. First reports from Texas have the underclassman timing at 4.35 seconds in the 40, a full one-tenth better than his combine mark.

Receiver Jordan Shipley ran his 40 in the 4.54 to 4.55 seconds range, which is much better than his mark from Indianapolis. Linebacker Roddrick Muckelroy ran 4.68 to 4.75), also an improvement from the combine. Thus far, unheralded offensive lineman Charlie Tanner has turned in a terrific workout. Tanner started the day by completing 35 reps on the bench, posted a vertical jump of 36 inches, and then ran his 40 in times as fast as 5.06 seconds. His official average for the two runs will be in the range of 5.12 seconds.

Players are in the midst of position drills and, by all accounts, Sergio Kindle has looked awesome. Kindle thus far has been very quick and explosive in linebacker drills. He also successfully participated in defensive line drills.

Lamarr Houston continues to look impressive and move north on draft boards. Like Kindle, he stood on his combine times, but has been quick and fluid in position drills. He's also easily moving about the field, which is what scouts wanted to see.

Your boy is going to end up being a CB
Originally posted by jreff22:
As expected, there's a huge crowd in Austin for the Texas Longhorns pro day. Thirty NFL teams have at least on scout on hand.

The workout just started a while ago but in the early going, safety Earl Thomas has been the star. First reports from Texas have the underclassman timing at 4.35 seconds in the 40, a full one-tenth better than his combine mark.

Receiver Jordan Shipley ran his 40 in the 4.54 to 4.55 seconds range, which is much better than his mark from Indianapolis. Linebacker Roddrick Muckelroy ran 4.68 to 4.75), also an improvement from the combine. Thus far, unheralded offensive lineman Charlie Tanner has turned in a terrific workout. Tanner started the day by completing 35 reps on the bench, posted a vertical jump of 36 inches, and then ran his 40 in times as fast as 5.06 seconds. His official average for the two runs will be in the range of 5.12 seconds.

Players are in the midst of position drills and, by all accounts, Sergio Kindle has looked awesome. Kindle thus far has been very quick and explosive in linebacker drills. He also successfully participated in defensive line drills.

Lamarr Houston continues to look impressive and move north on draft boards. Like Kindle, he stood on his combine times, but has been quick and fluid in position drills. He's also easily moving about the field, which is what scouts wanted to see.

same thing i was thinking
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

He may, he'll have a longer career and make more money. He's such a playmaker in the middle though, it really depends on who takes him. I have my doubts he'll even be available when we pick, especially now. He's got the numbers AND production at a big time program. That's usually a winning combination, add to it the success of secondary UT guys in the NFL lately, about as can't miss as it gets.

He may, he'll have a longer career and make more money. He's such a playmaker in the middle though, it really depends on who takes him. I have my doubts he'll even be available when we pick, especially now. He's got the numbers AND production at a big time program. That's usually a winning combination, add to it the success of secondary UT guys in the NFL lately, about as can't miss as it gets.

My (early pick) prediction....either Miami at 12 or Sea at 14
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

Miami just spent 2 high picks on the secondary, I'd be surprised if he went there, also not as big as Parcells likes. Now Seattle, that would really piss me off. For one, I';m a fan of his, and 2, they'd be getting a great player that could haunt us twice a year for a decade. I can tell you he won't get past Tennesse and they'd make him a corner. Bud Adams loves hoarding Longhorns.

Miami just spent 2 high picks on the secondary, I'd be surprised if he went there, also not as big as Parcells likes. Now Seattle, that would really piss me off. For one, I';m a fan of his, and 2, they'd be getting a great player that could haunt us twice a year for a decade. I can tell you he won't get past Tennesse and they'd make him a corner. Bud Adams loves hoarding Longhorns.

Given how deep this draft is; the fact that Berry and Haden are still above him on draft boards (as a Safety or CB); and what teams currently need -- I can see Thomas dropping to 17 still even with the big numbers.

Safety still is not a premium position for drafting high.

[ Edited by RedWaltz24 on Mar 31, 2010 at 13:27:44 ]

Well they (Miami) did cut Gibril Wilson so they could add a FS.

Given how deep this draft is; the fact that Berry and Haden are still above him on draft boards (as a Safety or CB); and what teams currently need -- I can see Thomas dropping to 17 still even with the big numbers.

I don't think Earl Thomas will last till 17. Because the Giants and Titans are looking for secondary help. Although the Giants are also looking for other Def help, his flexibility to possibly play FS or switch to CB makes him valuable. Not only that he is coming out as a Jr and still has room for growth.
I wasn't really on the Thomas bandwagon, but after hearing of his pro day and doing some more research on I'm, I would have no problem if the niners took him in the first round. Honestly, I would feel more comfortable with Thomas than Haden, who I still have questions about.

Although Berry and Haden is above him and although he is a safety, many have said he can project to CB with his speed and ball hawking skills. Plus he is bigger than Haden. And as it was said in the previous post before yours Titans are looking for secondary help, CB or Saftey. Giants are also a remote chance. So ET won't last till us. Which makes the damn coin flip toss loss to the Titans a b***h!

At first I thought If All three tackles are gone (I'm Skeptical about AD) then trade with the bengals (our 13 for their #21 in the first and their 53 in the second and take Thomas (17) and Charles Brown (21). Then we'll have two seconds. But his 40 time and quickness in the shuttle and 3 cone backed by his production and the fact that he still has great upside since he is still young, and his flexability to play Safety or CB means he may in all likely hood be gone before 17.

I'm really hoping someone falls in love with both AD and Campbell and then take them before B and TW.

[ Edited by WildBill on Mar 31, 2010 at 15:32:56 ]
AUSTIN, Texas — Earl Thomas already was in good standing with NFL scouts after an impressive combine performance last month. But the safety outdid himself — and every other prospect Texas had on display — at the school’s pro day Wednesday.

Thomas (5-10 5/8, 202) ran a blazing 4.37-second 40-yard dash, which would have tied for the third-fastest time at the combine. It also would have been the best time by .08 seconds among all defensive backs.

Thomas, an accomplished pianist who also plays the organ, saxophone and drums, has an interesting back story. He left school after his sophomore year (he was a redshirt sophomore last season), but coach Mack Brown explained to me that it was because the safety’s home in Orange, Texas, was devastated by Hurricane Rita in 2005, forcing his family to live in a hotel for a year.

Texas’ pro day was as big as ever, as 79 scouts and coaches representing 30 teams (the Rams and Lions were the only two not represented), including three head coaches, came together to watch QB Colt McCoy and 18 other draft prospects, including Thomas.

McCoy didn’t weigh in with the rest of his teammates, choosing to keep his measurements from the combine (6-1, 216). I’m told he’ll run drills and work starting around 1 p.m. ET. Check back shortly for an update.

Brown kicked things off with a big breakfast for all the scouts and coaches, as well as a 20-minute slide presentation on the history of all the players who have suited up for the Longhorns throughout the years.

Things are sure to pick up soon. Until then, here are some of the 19 prospects who will work out and the 40-yard dash times just completed indoors on FieldTurf:

CB Deon Beasley (5-foot-9 5/8, 180 pounds) ran 4.47 and 4.46 in the 40-yard dash.

DT Lamarr Houston (6-2 7/8, 300) will keep his 40 times from the combine.

LB Sergio Kindle (6-2 7/8, 249) will keep his 40 times from the combine.

WR Jordan Shipley (5-11 1/2, 187) ran 4.54 and 4.56 in the 40.

G Charlie Tanner (6-3 7/8, 305) ran 5.20 and 5.12 in the 40.

T Adam Ulatoski (6-6, 302) ran 4.58 and 4.56 in the 40.
LB Roddrick Muckelroy (6-1 5/8, 234) ran 4.73 and 4.75 in the 40.

REALLY? Is that right? Thats pretty dang fast for a Tackle

[/b]