LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Trent Williams or Mike Iupati?

Trent Williams or Mike Iupati?

At pick #17, assuming Okung, Bulaga, Davis and Campbell are off the board and we don't take an O-lineman at 13. Would you take Iupati or Trent Williams at 17? I would be torn. I think Iupati will be a pro bowl caliber offensive guard in the NFL in 2-3 years. Trent Williams is talented and I do think he can be a very good RT in the NFL but im not totally sold but obviously RT is a bigger need than OG.

So, Williams or Iupati?
If all those guys are off the board, I would bet my entire bank account that we would take Trent Williams at #13.
Trent Williams had a terrific combine and impresses as a guy who can play either OT position. Maybe RT this year, then take over at LT next year and move Staley back to RT.

Iupati struggled, alot, at the Sr. Bowl against better competition, and did not impress at the combine. He appears to be strictly a guard, and I wouldn't pick him in the first round. Just my humble opinion.
Trent Williams had a killer combine. It's difficult for me to believe that Williams will be there at 17... let alone 13.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I think Williams will be the second OT taken so I say take Iupati.
I think Williams will be either the 4th or 5th OT taken and will be there at #13. #17 is obviously more risky because of Seattle and the chance of a trade up.

Between the two its a no brainer for me. I would take Williams over Iupati.
Our primary need is a RT.

Williams fits that mold better than any OT let alone OG so the pick is Williams.
I don't get the Williams hype...first of all, he wasn't that impressive at the combine...not when you compare him w/Campbell, Bulaga and Charles Brown. Second, he's not a two-position player...his LT stint his jr. season didn't go so well. So, basically you're getting a one-position OT, and if I'm drafting one in the 1st rd, he'd better be able to play both positions. I'd take Brown over him for several reasons...better athleticism, more versatility, and adept at zone blocking.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I don't get the Williams hype...first of all, he wasn't that impressive at the combine...not when you compare him w/Campbell, Bulaga and Charles Brown. Second, he's not a two-position player...his LT stint his jr. season didn't go so well. So, basically you're getting a one-position OT, and if I'm drafting one in the 1st rd, he'd better be able to play both positions. I'd take Brown over him for several reasons...better athleticism, more versatility, and adept at zone blocking.

I understand your point about him not being a good fit at LT right now. However, that can certainly change and I dont think he is locked in to RT forever. Also, kind of silly to say he wasnt impressive at the combine. His numbers were excellent in all areas and everyone acknowledged that he came across as more athletic that they thought.

Charles Brown is a good prospect and will be a good pick for a team in the later half of round 1. I just think Williams would make a bigger impact right away for the Niners.

He had the second best showing after Campbell and many analysts including Mayock said he can play the left side, but MAY be better at the RT which we need...we are not picking a LT for the future. We are picking our RT.

Whoever we pick, will be our RT unless they prove they are better than Staley on the left side in camp.

Both Brown and Bulaga would be better at the Zone, but we are using a combo, not just Zone so Williams still fits and his feet can handle the movement based on his Combine drills.

In the mirroring drill his feet looked great. He's played RT three years in college and LT most of his life so he can play both sides. His measurables were more impressive because most didn't think he would be that fluid, but he was.

Maybe we were watching a different Combine?

That's OK. We will definitely disagree on this point because I believe that he's ready now to start at RT. Draft him, stick him in from day one, and call it a day.

However, I like the idea floating around of keeping Pashos at RT and developing a RT from the second or third round while nabbing two elite players in round one like Haden and Graham for example.

I don't think that I am the only one who thinks this of T. Williams or maybe I am.

But it is no hype.

Iupati, too much bad tape of Trent Williams (There was a link somewhere on the zone). I'd love to get Saffold in the 2nd round.
I don't get the Williams hype...first of all, he wasn't that impressive at the combine...not when you compare him w/Campbell, Bulaga and Charles Brown.

Trent Williams at the Combine:
Height: 6'4 5/8 Weight:315 Arm Length: 34 1/4 Hand Length: 9 3/4 40 Yard: 4.88 Reps : 23 Vertical: 34 Shuttle: 4.63 Broad Jump: 9'5"
2nd to Campbell in the 40; 1st in Vertical; 2nd to Veldheer in Shuttle; tied 1st w/ Saffold in Broad Jump. Did great in the drills. Yeah, he wasn't that impressive...

Mike Iupati Idaho 6'5 1/8 331 34 3/4 10 5/8 5.26 27 7'8"
Iupati did fine at the Combine, but Williams balled it.
Originally posted by kronik:
Iupati, too much bad tape of Trent Williams (There was a link somewhere on the zone). I'd love to get Saffold in the 2nd round.

Yeah he wasn't very good last yr at LT. In the Miami game guys were flying right by him before he even moved. To be fair though he was playing LT after starting 14 games at RT in 2008 where he looked pretty dam good and he was playing with a lot of new, inxperinced offensive lineman and I don't think guys get very good coaching at Oklahoma. That all being said, Williams does scare me, he did look good at RT in 2008 but he still had some bad moments, almost I would say some 'Kwame Harris moments". He has lapses in concentration and some plays he almost doesen't move. Im not sure he loves football and clearly has mental lapses on the field.

Right now though, it does look like Bulaga will be well off the board before 13, you know Okung will, Campbell will likely go to Oakland and while I think there is a chance Anthony Davis slides to 13, I don't think it is a very good chance. So it may come down to Williams and Iupati at 17 (I think we go for best player available at 13 and that will be McClain or another non O-Lineman). I could live with taking Iupati at 17 and getting Jason Fox in rd 2 or even better, moving down from 17 and getting Iupati in the 20-25 range and picking up an extra 3rd rd pick. Im not very big on that kid from UMass, Vladimir Duccasse (sp?).
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Yeah he wasn't very good last yr at LT. In the Miami game guys were flying right by him before he even moved. To be fair though he was playing LT after starting 14 games at RT in 2008 where he looked pretty dam good and he was playing with a lot of new, inxperinced offensive lineman and I don't think guys get very good coaching at Oklahoma. That all being said, Williams does scare me, he did look good at RT in 2008 but he still had some bad moments, almost I would say some 'Kwame Harris moments". He has lapses in concentration and some plays he almost doesen't move. Im not sure he loves football and clearly has mental lapses on the field.

Right now though, it does look like Bulaga will be well off the board before 13, you know Okung will, Campbell will likely go to Oakland and while I think there is a chance Anthony Davis slides to 13, I don't think it is a very good chance. So it may come down to Williams and Iupati at 17 (I think we go for best player available at 13 and that will be McClain or another non O-Lineman). I could live with taking Iupati at 17 and getting Jason Fox in rd 2 or even better, moving down from 17 and getting Iupati in the 20-25 range and picking up an extra 3rd rd pick. Im not very big on that kid from UMass, Vladimir Duccasse (sp?).

Yea, Ducasse seems like a project to me. Still relatively new to the game. SInce we need help immediately, I'd go with Saffold or Charles Brown in the 2nd. Pickup Iupati and maybe Brandon Graham/SPiller/Haden/BestPlayer with the 13th pick.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Yea, Ducasse seems like a project to me. Still relatively new to the game. SInce we need help immediately, I'd go with Saffold or Charles Brown in the 2nd. Pickup Iupati and maybe Brandon Graham/SPiller/Haden/BestPlayer with the 13th pick.

Not sure if Brown would fall into the middle of the 2nd rd but if so he would be a nice pick there. Ducasse I wouldn't even touch in the 2nd rd
Share 49ersWebzone