There are 198 users in the forums

Mock: Early run on OT's

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I would normally agree that trading a future first is a bad idea. But by all accounts this is a loaded draft and as many as 20 juniors will go in the first round. This tells me that there will be some excellent Seniors (like Nate Allen) who are first round quality and are worth spending future #1.

I would rather trade this years 2nd and 3rd worth 600 points, equal to #31 overall.

I do agree that there will be a run on OTs..

I also expect that the Jags take the best pass rushing DE on the board.
I like the picks minus the trade. Absolutely no reason to trade next years #1 pick, especially if we could be in need of a franchise QB.
Interesting you take Veldheer at #49. OTC has him listed as a 4th round talent. Did his combine numbers move him up that much?

5.09 40, 33 inch vertical, 32 reps bench. (He also had a great shuttle drill, 4.51, far ahead of everyone else's.)

His numbers are better than Iupati's, and his experience at Hillsdale may not be that much worse than Iupati's.

As for the rest of your mock, it looks good to me, although I would not trade next years first, especially not to NE.

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Mar 1, 2010 at 11:33:33 ]
Love the idea of re-signing Pashos and drafting/developing a stud like Veldheer at RT.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by ninergold:
I doubt some of those tackles will go that early. Williams can't be an LT and the Seahawks need to replace Jones.

No way I'd give up a #1 next year for a #2 now.

Lupati is a guard. I think the combines have shown that that's his position.

Agree

I doubt the OTs will go in that order but the top five probably will be gone by the 13th pick. Maybe Bulaga, or Williams slips but I wouldn't bet on it.

If Singletary likes a guy he better be prepaired to trade up to get him. Otherwise, we could go yet another year without taking a tackle in the first round. Anybody can sit packed and take the BPA but it takes guts to target who you like and pull the trigger. This draft is make or break for McClaughan.
Don't like the trade idea. If the Niners keep their picks intact, I wouldn't mind seeing most of your picks in Scarlet and Gold:

1A Spiller
1B Iupati (Mike, not his evil twin Mark)
2 Nate Allen
3 Veldheer
4 Jacoby Ford
5 Butler or Micah Johnson ILB
6 O'Brien Schofield or Arthur Moats
7A CB/OL/DL
7B CB/OL/DL
Originally posted by vermonator:
I doubt some of those tackles will go that early. Williams can't be an LT and the Seahawks need to replace Jones.

Agree

I doubt the OTs will go in that order but the top five probably will be gone by the 13th pick. Maybe Bulaga, or Williams slips but I wouldn't bet on it.

If Singletary likes a guy he better be prepaired to trade up to get him. Otherwise, we could go yet another year without taking a tackle in the first round. Anybody can sit packed and take the BPA but it takes guts to target who you like and pull the trigger. This draft is make or break for McClaughan.

The only way that all 5 OTs will be gone by #13 is that if all 5 teams that need an OT actually take an OT and pass on elite players like Berry, Haden, and Claussen. One of the 5 is going to be available in my opinion and I still think it will be Trent Williams.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Agree

The only way that all 5 OTs will be gone by #13 is that if all 5 teams that need an OT actually take an OT and pass on elite players like Berry, Haden, and Claussen. One of the 5 is going to be available in my opinion and I still think it will be Trent Williams.

Hope you're right but you can't count on it. Another question to consider, Is Williams the BPA or do we take someone else, Iupati?
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

Agree

Hope you're right but you can't count on it. Another question to consider, Is Williams the BPA or do we take someone else, Iupati?

I would absolutely take Williams ahead of Iupati. OG's simply are not as valuable as OTs and it seems unlikely that Iupati is going to transition to tackle. As for BPA that remains to be seen. I think Haden and Spiller would both qualify ahead of Williams or Iupati should they be there at 13.
I like the Mark Iupati...but as much as I like it...I don't see Scotty liking it.

I'd rather trade for value if Spiller falls to us...but I'm not sure that happens either. I think Scott takes him.

Love the Nate pick in the 2nd.

I don't like trading next year's pick for a 2nd this year. It'd be one thing if we were one player away..but we're not...That said with Pashos coming back, we can afford to wait till the 3rd or 4th to pick up an OT.

We have two 1st rounders and nine picks overall...I see no reason to trade. No problem w/Spiller, but I really don't see Singletary leaving the 1st rd w/o his OT. Iupati's a beast, all right, but Mac isn't going to take an OG who's an OT wannabe at this point that high in the draft. The guy I see Singletary getting is Charles Brown...a guy who can play both OT positions, is very agile and is adept at zone blocking. He gets his OG in the 3rd rd in Mike Johnson. Only way I can see Iupati in 1st rd is if Mac goes OT w/#13 pick, then finishes the OL upgrade by taking the huge Somoan at #17.

Agree s/SD, no reason to trade 2nd rounder...especially to NE. That's a great spot to take a good CB, Perrish Cox, good cover guy, excellent tackler and very good KR skills.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
We have two 1st rounders and nine picks overall...I see no reason to trade. No problem w/Spiller, but I really don't see Singletary leaving the 1st rd w/o his OT. Iupati's a beast, all right, but Mac isn't going to take an OG who's an OT wannabe at this point that high in the draft. The guy I see Singletary getting is Charles Brown...a guy who can play both OT positions, is very agile and is adept at zone blocking. He gets his OG in the 3rd rd in Mike Johnson. Only way I can see Iupati in 1st rd is if Mac goes OT w/#13 pick, then finishes the OL upgrade by taking the huge Somoan at #17.

Agree s/SD, no reason to trade 2nd rounder...especially to NE. That's a great spot to take a good CB, Perrish Cox, good cover guy, excellent tackler and very good KR skills.

You seem to be the only guy that agrees with me that Brown could play RT.
I get the "don't wanna trade a future first rounder" thing. But what the hell is the hang-up with trading with New England?

Are some of you actually still emotionally scarred over the Staley trade? Please.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I get the "don't wanna trade a future first rounder" thing. But what the hell is the hang-up with trading with New England?

Are some of you actually still emotionally scarred over the Staley trade? Please.

Any time you trade the future you lose value. I simply don't want to give up value unless we're getting a player that we can plug in now and will help us win a ring. I don't see how this trade does that for us.

That said, if you find a player that does, I'll be willing to jump on board as it is likely that we'll draft later next season than we did this season. I can see Nate as that kind of player..but I think he could be had with the 49th pick and pass on the OT there who I don't think makes the kind of impact we're talking about.

[ Edited by Jakemall on Mar 1, 2010 at 13:03:48 ]
We truly are a pathetic franchise if we have to trade up just to get a freaking RT.

Meanwhile some teams don't even have to spend a first rounder on their LT.
Share 49ersWebzone