Should we move up to get our OT?

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I know I mentioned giving up a 3rd to move up, so lets take a look at what we might be missing out on....

Glenn Coffee, Reggie Smith, Jason Hill/Ray McDonald, Michael Robinson, Adam Snyder, Brandon Williams and our beloved Frank Gore.

Outside of Gore I dont know that I wouldn't trade any of these guys with a first for an elite tackle.

Trading a 3rd rounder gets us to the 9th pick at best. The Raiders never trade down, and more likely than not Buffalo is looking to take a tackle as well. Really we'd have to get 7 to get that elite tackle that we want and that would cost us a 2nd rounder.

After Buffalo takes their pick it's kinda pointless to move up because Den, JX, and Mia aren't in the market for a tackle. Wsh, KC, Sea, Oak, Buf are the teams looking to upgrade the line before we pick. All 5 of those teams aren't going to take a tackle, and the cost to position ourselves for the perfect blue chip tackle is going to be hefty. Really we're best off just waiting to 13 and hoping the right guy is there.

Unfortantely, your post makes a lot of sense. I just dont want us to reach for a pick or end up picking up our OT in the second.

Hopefully some of the second day non-OT Combine guys have a lights out performance.

Why ? Plenty of good OT's have been 2nd round picks (Michael Roos, Jon Stinchcomb, Marvel Smith, Chad Clifton, Matt Light). You don't need to spend a 1st round pick to get a good RT especially.

As far as our recent history with 3rd round picks, that doesn't mean anything. We could be losing out on getting a great value or great player by trading the pick away. Only way we should be trading up is for a n elite prospect who happens to be falling ie Eric Berry. We should move up for a player who is not considered a top 10 pick.

Of course you can find great Oline talent in the 2nd, but our current GM doesn't have a track record of doing so.
Secondly, I personally would rather see Staley slide to the right and our blue chip guy take over on the left. I think Staley is very solid, but not dominate. Of course, I wouldn't expect that to happen next year.

Last I checked his track record as a GM he had only been at the head of the table twice and drafted 1 OG, but had put the ball in the court of his OC and let him choose between 2 prospects. That OG had 1 decent year as a rookie then regressed so the jury is still out on that pick.
I know I mentioned giving up a 3rd to move up, so lets take a look at what we might be missing out on....

Glenn Coffee, Reggie Smith, Jason Hill/Ray McDonald, Michael Robinson, Adam Snyder, Brandon Williams and our beloved Frank Gore.

Outside of Gore I dont know that I wouldn't trade any of these guys with a first for an elite tackle.

Trading a 3rd rounder gets us to the 9th pick at best. The Raiders never trade down, and more likely than not Buffalo is looking to take a tackle as well. Really we'd have to get 7 to get that elite tackle that we want and that would cost us a 2nd rounder.

After Buffalo takes their pick it's kinda pointless to move up because Den, JX, and Mia aren't in the market for a tackle. Wsh, KC, Sea, Oak, Buf are the teams looking to upgrade the line before we pick. All 5 of those teams aren't going to take a tackle, and the cost to position ourselves for the perfect blue chip tackle is going to be hefty. Really we're best off just waiting to 13 and hoping the right guy is there.

Unfortantely, your post makes a lot of sense. I just dont want us to reach for a pick or end up picking up our OT in the second.

Hopefully some of the second day non-OT Combine guys have a lights out performance.

Why ? Plenty of good OT's have been 2nd round picks (Michael Roos, Jon Stinchcomb, Marvel Smith, Chad Clifton, Matt Light). You don't need to spend a 1st round pick to get a good RT especially.

As far as our recent history with 3rd round picks, that doesn't mean anything. We could be losing out on getting a great value or great player by trading the pick away. Only way we should be trading up is for a n elite prospect who happens to be falling ie Eric Berry. We should move up for a player who is not considered a top 10 pick.

Of course you can find great Oline talent in the 2nd, but our current GM doesn't have a track record of doing so.
Secondly, I personally would rather see Staley slide to the right and our blue chip guy take over on the left. I think Staley is very solid, but not dominate. Of course, I wouldn't expect that to happen next year.

Scott has only taken 2 tackles so far (Staley, Snyder). Yeah he's missed on some 2nd round guards but when you look at it Baas was the number 2 rated guard and Rachal was the number one rated guard in their class.

And wasn't Chilo a reach that year because there was such a run on lineman? At least I think thats what I remember.

Scott has only taken 2 tackles so far (Staley, Snyder). Yeah he's missed on some 2nd round guards but when you look at it Baas was the number 2 rated guard and Rachal was the number one rated guard in their class.

And wasn't Chilo a reach that year because there was such a run on lineman? At least I think thats what I remember.

Slight reach. Generally speaking the 2nd rated guard doesn't come off the board to the middle/ late period of the 2nd round. It was a weird draft because 8 tackles went in round 1 and the actual number 1 rated guard Brandon Albert had the ability to move to tackle.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Slight reach. Generally speaking the 2nd rated guard doesn't come off the board to the middle/ late period of the 2nd round. It was a weird draft because 8 tackles went in round 1 and the actual number 1 rated guard Brandon Albert had the ability to move to tackle.

I think from Scot's perspective it wasn't a reach. He viewed the kid with the possibility to play RT or RG thus he graded out slightly higher than others may have.

Last I checked his track record as a GM he had only been at the head of the table twice and drafted 1 OG, but had put the ball in the court of his OC and let him choose between 2 prospects. That OG had 1 decent year as a rookie then regressed so the jury is still out on that pick.

I'm not saying Chilo is a bust. I still believe he will do well for us. I'm just saying it's not like Scotty has proven he has an eye for talent on the Oline in general. Lets not forget that he also traded Smiley and Kyle Koser, both of whom went on to start for payoff bound teams.
  • evil
  • Veteran

I'm not saying Chilo is a bust. I still believe he will do well for us. I'm just saying it's not like Scotty has proven he has an eye for talent on the Oline in general. Lets not forget that he also traded Smiley and Kyle Koser, both of whom went on to start for payoff bound teams.

Actually Kosier signed with Detroit as an RFA and Smiley left as a UFA. THing with that is, if Scot doesn't see them being worth the asking price why would he resign them ? It's up to him to place a certain value on these players and he should not be overpaying to keep them here. In other cases it may come down to how well a player fits the scheme that the team envisions to run.

I wouldn't be discouraged by us drafting a RT in the 2nd or 3rd if they believe he can start from day 1. Scot will listen to multiple opinions on these prospects, from that of Sing, Raye and Solari as well as the area scouts. It's about getting the best value and with 2 1st round picks it would be wiser to not move up unless a truly elite prospect falls .We could use the influx of as much young talent to push the guys who are here right now for their jobs and to create better depth everywhere. Competition is good and healthy for everyone.

Trading up because there is a run on the OT's means we will likely be reaching slightly for a guy and this team is not good enough to reach for anyone right now. We still have a long uphill climb and a RT alone is not going to make the difference in winning the division or making the playoffs. There are plenty of good RT prospects in this draft.

Actually Kosier signed with Detroit as an RFA and Smiley left as a UFA. THing with that is, if Scot doesn't see them being worth the asking price why would he resign them ? It's up to him to place a certain value on these players and he should not be overpaying to keep them here. In other cases it may come down to how well a player fits the scheme that the team envisions to run.

I wouldn't be discouraged by us drafting a RT in the 2nd or 3rd if they believe he can start from day 1. Scot will listen to multiple opinions on these prospects, from that of Sing, Raye and Solari as well as the area scouts. It's about getting the best value and with 2 1st round picks it would be wiser to not move up unless a truly elite prospect falls .We could use the influx of as much young talent to push the guys who are here right now for their jobs and to create better depth everywhere. Competition is good and healthy for everyone.

Trading up because there is a run on the OT's means we will likely be reaching slightly for a guy and this team is not good enough to reach for anyone right now. We still have a long uphill climb and a RT alone is not going to make the difference in winning the division or making the playoffs. There are plenty of good RT prospects in this draft.

Actually I didn't mean trade. But the point is he did not properly evaluate the talent we had both in who we kept and in who we let walk. Smiley wanted to be here and so did Kyle im sure. Again, this could be debated forever, but the bottom line is he was bais against Smiley because he didn't feel he was "big enough" or enough of a mauler type. It was never about the money in and of itself.

On your second point I just flat out disagree. I do think a RT alone is good enough for us to win our division and make the playoffs. Think of all the line problems we had last year. M.Smith, Staley, Pasho, Baas all went down for an extended period of time last year. I dont remember if Snyder got hurt, but thank God for Simms (I cant believe I'm saying that). I'm not going to run down the line about who we have, but we were very competitive without a solid line, imagine if that became a strenght...

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Feb 28, 2010 at 12:45:37 ]
  • evil
  • Veteran

Actually I didn't mean trade. But the point is he did not properly evaluate the talent we had both in who we kept and in who we let walk. Smiley wanted to be here and so did Kyle im sure. Again, this could be debated forever, but the bottom line is he was bais against Smiley because he didn't feel he was "big enough" or enough of a mauler type. It was never about the money in and of itself.

On your second point I just flat out disagree. I do think a RT alone is good enough for us to win our division and make the playoffs. Think of all the line problems we had last year. M.Smith, Staley, Pasho, Baas all went down for an extended period of time last year. I dont remember if Snyder got hurt, but thank God for Simms (I cant believe I'm saying that). I'm not going to run down the line about who we have, but we were very competitive without a solid line, imagine if that became a strenght...

Which fits in with what I said :

Quote:
In other cases it may come down to how well a player fits the scheme that the team envisions to run.

As for a RT being the difference in winning the division, a rookie is going to make mistakes and have a learning curve so that doesn't mean the play will be head and shoulders above what we had this year, at least during his first year. Some come in and dominate from day 1 but not all will do that. He will slowly help improve the play upfront if he can play to his potential but with the way our OG's played it wouldn't matter if we had more consistency and better play from that one spot on the line.
The only way I see us moving up to grab an OT, is if OKUNG slides, and we draft him to be our franchise LT, while moving Staley to RT. Picture that for the next decade of so! There has to be some surprises for Okung to fall. Someone HAS to fall in love with Hayden, Spillers, Thomas, Williams,Bryant, or berry, and be willing to spend a top 5-8 or so pick on em.(as I already feel the top 4 are a lock...2 qb's and 2 Dt's) Gore would KILL IT with an OL that's not ranked last in the NFL. I give Gore props for having a decent season last year with this horrible OL.

I would LOVE for us to go and get our franchise LT, and slide Staley over....as long as we don't give the farm to do it. Say we trade our #13, our 3rd, and next years 3rd..or possibly our 2nd.......I'd make that trade. Not to mention Iupati with our #17. We'd be set on the OL, and can FINALLY condsider it a strength. We could then use our 2nd for the best safety on the board. We would come away with Okung/Iupati/ Mays or Chad Jones at S.

[ Edited by JizzmasterZero on Mar 1, 2010 at 19:52:37 ]
ohh...and one more thing...I'll consider this offseason an absolute failure if we don't land 2 starting 0-Lineman. (RT and LG) I can't stomach another season of offensive futility. It all starts with the big guys up front, and I'm tired of seeing Gore and Smith get smaked around like cheap hookers. How many 3rd and 2's, 3rd and 1's, and short yardage plays getting stuffed can you watch? 2010 should be the year we fix the OL for good! And please don't bring up tony pashos.....He's old, declining, and coming off an injury. I wouldn't consider him dominant by any means, and wouldn't give him much more than "depth" status.

Originally posted by JizzmasterZero:
The only way I see us moving up to grab an OT, is if OKUNG slides, and we draft him to be our franchise LT, while moving Staley to RT. Picture that for the next decade of so! There has to be some surprises for Okung to fall. Someone HAS to fall in love with Hayden, Spillers, Thomas, Williams,Bryant, or berry, and be willing to spend a top 5-8 or so pick on em.(as I already feel the top 4 are a lock...2 qb's and 2 Dt's) Gore would KILL IT with an OL that's not ranked last in the NFL. I give Gore props for having a decent season last year with this horrible OL.

I would LOVE for us to go and get our franchise LT, and slide Staley over....as long as we don't give the farm to do it. Say we trade our #13, our 3rd, and next years 3rd..or possibly our 2nd.......I'd make that trade. Not to mention Lupati with our #17. We'd be set on the OL, and can FINALLY condsider it a strength. We could then use our 2nd for the best safety on the board. We would come away with Okung/Lupati/ Mays or Chad Jones at S. in the first 2 rounds!! God I love the draft![/quote]

That would be wild.

It's funny how durning the season there is 100 agreement how Oline needs to be a priority. Then we get a month or two away and people start forgetting our troubles and fall in love with "flashy" players. I guess thats just human nature, it's the short term memory regarding suffering that keeps us going.

I would LOVE for us to go and get our franchise LT, and slide Staley over....as long as we don't give the farm to do it. Say we trade our #13, our 3rd, and next years 3rd..or possibly our 2nd.......I'd make that trade. Not to mention Lupati with our #17. We'd be set on the OL, and can FINALLY condsider it a strength. We could then use our 2nd for the best safety on the board. We would come away with Okung/Lupati/ Mays or Chad Jones at S. in the first 2 rounds!! God I love the draft![/quote]

That would be wild.

It's funny how durning the season there is 100 agreement how Oline needs to be a priority. Then we get a month or two away and people start forgetting our troubles and fall in love with "flashy" players. I guess thats just human nature, it's the short term memory regarding suffering that keeps us going.

I had noticed that too! Let's fix the line.

That would be wild.

Agreed....all season long we complain about our OL, experts recognize we were DEAD LAST for OL rankings. (their formula of course..ie. sacks/pressures/stuffs/and hurries)...and we have fans that want a RB with our first pick? Seriously? How will a RB perform with this horrid OL? I consider Gore a top five back, and even has trouble getting to 1000 behind this shotty line. It doesn't matter if we handed the ball to CHRIS JOHNSON. He wouldn't get far with it when he's got 2 300 pounders on already on top of him.

That would be wild.

Agreed....all season long we complain about our OL, experts recognize we were DEAD LAST for OL rankings. (their formula of course..ie. sacks/pressures/stuffs/and hurries)...and we have fans that want a RB with our first pick? Seriously? How will a RB perform with this horrid OL? I consider Gore a top five back, and even has trouble getting to 1000 behind this shotty line. It doesn't matter if we handed the ball to CHRIS JOHNSON. He wouldn't get far with it when he's got 2 300 pounders on already on top of him.

It fact we might even be worst off, since Gore's strength is his vision and ability to squeeze through holes that are barely there.
I don't think we need to move up...one of the best OT's will be available at #13 or 17. In some ways I'd prefer to get him at #13, then go BPA at #17. It wouldn't bother me at all if we went OT, then Iupati. That would go against Mac's grain a bit, but you get your upgraded OL done in 1st round, leaving tons of options for the remaining 7 picks.
Share 49ersWebzone