There are 205 users in the forums

Should we move up to get our OT?

Should we move up to get our OT?

Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I know I mentioned giving up a 3rd to move up, so lets take a look at what we might be missing out on....

Glenn Coffee, Reggie Smith, Jason Hill/Ray McDonald, Michael Robinson, Adam Snyder, Brandon Williams and our beloved Frank Gore.

Outside of Gore I dont know that I wouldn't trade any of these guys with a first for an elite tackle.

Trading a 3rd rounder gets us to the 9th pick at best. The Raiders never trade down, and more likely than not Buffalo is looking to take a tackle as well. Really we'd have to get 7 to get that elite tackle that we want and that would cost us a 2nd rounder.

After Buffalo takes their pick it's kinda pointless to move up because Den, JX, and Mia aren't in the market for a tackle. Wsh, KC, Sea, Oak, Buf are the teams looking to upgrade the line before we pick. All 5 of those teams aren't going to take a tackle, and the cost to position ourselves for the perfect blue chip tackle is going to be hefty. Really we're best off just waiting to 13 and hoping the right guy is there.

How about we trade our #13 and our 3rd round pick this and next year to the browns for the 7th pick. We need to make sure we get a good ol prospect
I think people are exaggerating the run on tackles. Last year people made the same claims that 4 tackles would go in the top 10 yet Oher was still available at 22.

I think 3 go before we pick (Okung, Williams, Campbell) but we still get a chance at the other 2.

Either way I say no. If 5 tackles go in the top 12 then say hello to Eric Berry or Joe Haden.

But then what? At what point do we grab our tackle? I guess I just dont have a lot of confidence in Scotty's ability to draft can't miss prospects on the Oline (Baas, Chilo, Snyder, Wragge, Wallace) not exactly diamonds in the rough.

If we get Berry, than we trade down from 17...Get an extra second round pick!

Look something like this:

13: Eric Berry

Second 1st round PICK: Best OT ..most likely the guy from USC!

2nd round pick: Mardy Gilyard
second 2nd Round Pick: Best PLAYER AVAILIBLE!

Farfetched to say the least tho.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
I think people are exaggerating the run on tackles. Last year people made the same claims that 4 tackles would go in the top 10 yet Oher was still available at 22.

I think 3 go before we pick (Okung, Williams, Campbell) but we still get a chance at the other 2.

Either way I say no. If 5 tackles go in the top 12 then say hello to Eric Berry or Joe Haden.

But then what? At what point do we grab our tackle? I guess I just dont have a lot of confidence in Scotty's ability to draft can't miss prospects on the Oline (Baas, Chilo, Snyder, Wragge, Wallace) not exactly diamonds in the rough.

If we get Berry, than we trade down from 17...Get an extra second round pick!

Look something like this:

13: Eric Berry

Second 1st round PICK: Best OT ..most likely the guy from USC!

2nd round pick: Mardy Gilyard
second 2nd Round Pick: Best PLAYER AVAILIBLE!

Farfetched to say the least tho.

I am usually against saying "he won't be there" BUT, I can assure you Eric Berry will not be there by the 13th pick. If we land Berry, I'd mail a $100 bucks straight to you!!! But I agree, I like your thinking, if we should land Berry, IMO I'd hope we trade down to maybe the 29th-32nd pick and pick up an extra 2nd round pick. LOTS of talent should still be there between the 29th-64th picks, we just gotta see who falls to us.
I think we should. It's time to address the RT position. But I don't think we will. IMO it is worth giving up one draft pick somewhere to move up and draft one of the elite Tackles. We have needed this for years and this year we finally have the ammo to do it if we wanted to.
Originally posted by NinerFan1977:
I know I mentioned giving up a 3rd to move up, so lets take a look at what we might be missing out on....

Glenn Coffee, Reggie Smith, Jason Hill/Ray McDonald, Michael Robinson, Adam Snyder, Brandon Williams and our beloved Frank Gore.

Outside of Gore I dont know that I wouldn't trade any of these guys with a first for an elite tackle.

Gore was drafted in the 4th rd

3rd round 65th overall

you fail
I don't wanna move up to draft a tackle in the 1st.
NOPE.

This team is more than just a RT away from contention.

The Niners need starters out of 3 of their first 4 picks--RT, KR, S.
Originally posted by Blake_Fever:
NOPE.

This team is more than just a RT away from contention.

The Niners need starters out of 3 of their first 4 picks--RT, KR, S.

too be honest if okung dropped to the 8th spot i would love to trade up for him ahead of the bills but hes the only guy i would trade up for and wouldnt give higher tghan a 3rd

Trading a 3rd rounder gets us to the 9th pick at best. The Raiders never trade down, and more likely than not Buffalo is looking to take a tackle as well. Really we'd have to get 7 to get that elite tackle that we want and that would cost us a 2nd rounder.

After Buffalo takes their pick it's kinda pointless to move up because Den, JX, and Mia aren't in the market for a tackle. Wsh, KC, Sea, Oak, Buf are the teams looking to upgrade the line before we pick. All 5 of those teams aren't going to take a tackle, and the cost to position ourselves for the perfect blue chip tackle is going to be hefty. Really we're best off just waiting to 13 and hoping the right guy is there.

Unfortantely, your post makes a lot of sense. I just dont want us to reach for a pick or end up picking up our OT in the second.

Hopefully some of the second day non-OT Combine guys have a lights out performance.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Unfortantely, your post makes a lot of sense. I just dont want us to reach for a pick or end up picking up our OT in the second.

Hopefully some of the second day non-OT Combine guys have a lights out performance.

Why ? Plenty of good OT's have been 2nd round picks (Michael Roos, Jon Stinchcomb, Marvel Smith, Chad Clifton, Matt Light). You don't need to spend a 1st round pick to get a good RT especially.

As far as our recent history with 3rd round picks, that doesn't mean anything. We could be losing out on getting a great value or great player by trading the pick away. Only way we should be trading up is for a n elite prospect who happens to be falling ie Eric Berry. We should move up for a player who is not considered a top 10 pick.

Originally posted by ninerforyears:
As a team I believe we are a solid O line away from owning our division for years to come. Most of the pieces are in place on defense and offense. Going into the off season there seemed to be no doubt that we would be able to draft a top tier tackle with one of our first round picks. However, the closer we get to the draft the more it seems possible that ALL of the top tier OTs may be off the board before we even get to use our first pick.

There are probably a number of scenarios we could run, but for simplicity's sake let’s consider one option, moving up.

Based on the value chart we would have to give up a 3rd rounder to move up to the 9 spot. Assuming the other team would trade (Oak 8, Buff 9, Jack 10) would you do it? I think I would.

This draft is full of tackles next post please and get someone who informed about football please!

This is a rather arrogant post. The discussion about tackles has been well informed. There are indications that there will indeed be a run on tackles which would be a serious problem forcus as we desperately need not only a good tackle but one good enough to start this year. And the draft is not full of them.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Why ? Plenty of good OT's have been 2nd round picks (Michael Roos, Jon Stinchcomb, Marvel Smith, Chad Clifton, Matt Light). You don't need to spend a 1st round pick to get a good RT especially.

As far as our recent history with 3rd round picks, that doesn't mean anything. We could be losing out on getting a great value or great player by trading the pick away. Only way we should be trading up is for a n elite prospect who happens to be falling ie Eric Berry. We should move up for a player who is not considered a top 10 pick.

Of course you can find great Oline talent in the 2nd, but our current GM doesn't have a track record of doing so.
Secondly, I personally would rather see Staley slide to the right and our blue chip guy take over on the left. I think Staley is very solid, but not dominate. Of course, I wouldn't expect that to happen next year.
LOL!! all those who said no just don't understand what was seen yesterday. cmapbell is good btu seriously he's raw. i don't see him stepping in & starting. A few OT's put themselves far ahead of the others. The 49ers want someone who can start right away & there's only a select few, Williams, Okung, Bauluga, maybe Davis.
i wouldn't trip cause it's not like we are going to trade both first round picks.
I see us addressing our Defensive "major" needs through FA
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Of course you can find great Oline talent in the 2nd, but our current GM doesn't have a track record of doing so.
Secondly, I personally would rather see Staley slide to the right and our blue chip guy take over on the left. I think Staley is very solid, but not dominate. Of course, I wouldn't expect that to happen next year.

Scott has only taken 2 tackles so far (Staley, Snyder). Yeah he's missed on some 2nd round guards but when you look at it Baas was the number 2 rated guard and Rachal was the number one rated guard in their class.
Share 49ersWebzone