There are 204 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

After Careful Consideration.. Your Top 17

Originally posted by teeohh:
Don't the Giants need an OT too? I may not be sure, but maybe Trent Williams doesn't slip that far. I rather have him than Spiller at 13

The Giants have a much bigger need on the defensive line. I believe that Dan Williams would be the perfect choice for them. They struggled to stop the run last year.
Originally posted by strickac:
McCoy will not go before Suh. This talk about him being the better pass rusher is nonsense. That's just some Mayock is trying to feed people to justify his rankings.

McCoy has 14 career sacks (in 3 years). Suh had 12 sacks last year alone, despite facing double teams on a regular basis.

Maybe maybe not. They are going to go 2-3 in my opinion and it really could go either way.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
No way in Hell Williams makes it to 17. The guy might not even make it out of 10.

I just dont see someone who is going to play RT going in the top 10. I understand that everyone will be saying that now because of the combine but reality is he really struggled on the left side. Oakland and Buffalo are looking for LTs and I think more likely to take Campbell, Davis, or Bulaga.

If Oakland does take Williams at #8 then I think the Niners would absoutely have to take an OT at #13 rather than wait. In that case, Bulaga or Davis should be there for them to select. To me it comes down to what Oakland does at #8. I really hope they take Campbell.
Great mock Ninerjohn. I could definitely see the draft going this way, every pick makes sense and I would love for the niners to get Spiller/Williams. It's almost impossible to correctly predict each pick in the top 15 or so, but I think this is very plausible.

[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Feb 28, 2010 at 11:00:29 ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Has anyone actually watched tape on McClain? This guy is SLOW. He doesn't attack. He waits for players to be funneled into him.

No way he goes top 17.. heck i dont think 1st round is an option.

You are nuts. I would bet every single dollar I have that he goes in round 1 and I believe that he will go to Miami at #12.

The only thing that could change this is if they land Dansby. They could still take McClain, but it will depend on who is there and how much they value Dan Williams vs Cam Thomas and Terrance Cody. 3-4 NT is a huge need but Parcells won't allow Ireland to reach.

Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
No such thing as a SURE THING in the NFL Draft. If you've actually taken the time to watch McClain, you'd notice that what i said is true. He DOES NOT attack. He sits and waits. He's no Beason, Willis, or even Curry. He lacks wow. Spikes stands a better chance at being drafted before McClain. I'm guessing a 4.8 40 time for him. Wouldn't be shocked if he pulled out so that it doesn't expose him.

40 times aren't as important as you may think for an ILB in a 3-4 scheme.

Don't the Giants need an OT too? I may not be sure, but maybe Trent Williams doesn't slip that far. I rather have him than Spiller at 13

They seemingly like Beatty quite a bot and although the current LT David Diehl is best suited to play LG, he has done a pretty good job at LT. I think Beatty eventually steps in at LT and Diehl slides back over. They could look to add a RT but I doubt they do it in round 1. The G-Men will likely look to add a SS (Phillips has been better at FS), LB or like John said a DT who can be a force vs the run.
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Great mock Ninerjohn. I could definitely see the draft going this way, every pick makes sense and I would love for the niners to get Spiller/Williams. It's almost impossible to correctly predict each pick in the top 15 or so, but I think this is very plausible.

Thanks man. I just tried to look at what made sense for each team and hopefully take the BPA at the same time. There are a few things (such as Suh-McCoy) that are debatable for sure. I think there are 2 teams that will be the keys to the first round:
Washington and Oakland.
I rather have Bulaga
I rather have Bulaga

If Bulaga and Williams were both there at 17 I would agree. However, if both are there are 13 along with Spiller I would rather take Spiller and take either of the 2 OTs at 17.
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
I honestly think you might be over 90% right here which is all you can really ask for. Where you have a choice ov being wrong are:
Denver - No sure if they are going to trade one head case WR for another but the pick does make sense.
Miami - Don't see them taking McClain only because I think they get Dansby on Friday when FA opens. I think you can swap thier pick and the Giants pick and you would be right one. So Miam takes Dan Williams and Giants take McClain.
Giants - Again I dont see Giants taken a DT when thier biggest needs are clearly the back 7.

Other then that this is a very realistic mock. Just sucks cause that means Eric Berry is going to the Seahawks which is going to suck for a decade.
Originally posted by nj49erfan:
I honestly think you might be over 90% right here which is all you can really ask for. Where you have a choice ov being wrong are:
Denver - No sure if they are going to trade one head case WR for another but the pick does make sense.
Miami - Don't see them taking McClain only because I think they get Dansby on Friday when FA opens. I think you can swap thier pick and the Giants pick and you would be right one. So Miam takes Dan Williams and Giants take McClain.
Giants - Again I dont see Giants taken a DT when thier biggest needs are clearly the back 7.

Other then that this is a very realistic mock. Just sucks cause that means Eric Berry is going to the Seahawks which is going to suck for a decade.

If Bulaga is there, I really don't see any way in hell that Scott takes Spiller. Specially when there are other guys available later who are as effective returning on ST's.
Originally posted by WINiner:

If Bulaga is there, I really don't see any way in hell that Scott takes Spiller. Specially when there are other guys available later who are as effective returning on ST's.

Sure there is. If he thinks that Williams is a better fit than Bulaga at RT and both guys are sitting there he can simply wait until 17. NY and Tennessee arent going to take OTs. There are plenty of people who like Williams as much if not more than Bulaga. With this strategy you get your OT and a game changing RB-KR
McCoy will not go before Suh. This talk about him being the better pass rusher is nonsense. That's just some Mayock is trying to feed people to justify his rankings.

McCoy has 14 career sacks (in 3 years). Suh had 12 sacks last year alone, despite facing double teams on a regular basis.

Actually it has been reported some GM's prefer McCoy, Suh has a history injuries that question his future durability. McCoy also plays with better technique & Suh won't be able to throw guys around in NFL the way he did in college.

This mock is pretty much identical to mine, but I still think kc & oak could shake things up.
Originally posted by GMniner805:

Actually it has been reported some GM's prefer McCoy, Suh has a history injuries that question his future durability. McCoy also plays with better technique & Suh won't be able to throw guys around in NFL the way he did in college.

This mock is pretty much identical to mine, but I still think kc & oak could shake things up.

I also think Washington could shake things up too if they pass on Claussen. Chances are it wont fall exactly this way but I think the picks make sense anyway.
Yes on Spiller...no on Williams. He was arguably the least impressive of the top OT's at the combine. He struggled at LT his Jr season...if I'm drafting an OT in the 1st rd, he'd better be able to play both positions well. If Bulaga's still on the board, he'd easily be the pick instead of Williams. Another guy to consider is Charles Brown, who's agility is second only to Campbell's, he can play both OT positions, and he's adept at zone blocking, all attributes OL Coach Solari loves in his players.
  • nj49erfan
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by WINiner:

Sure there is. If he thinks that Williams is a better fit than Bulaga at RT and both guys are sitting there he can simply wait until 17. NY and Tennessee arent going to take OTs. There are plenty of people who like Williams as much if not more than Bulaga. With this strategy you get your OT and a game changing RB-KR

Exactly. This is what everyone has to realize. If there are 2 of the top 4 OT's (Okung, Davis, Bulaga & Williams) left on the board when we pick at 13 its gotta be Spiller or a different position player. the Seahawks probably draft an OT but the Giatns and Titans do not which menas you get one of the top four tackles and Spiller.

To be honest if it cam edown to Bulaga at 17 I would rather trade back into the 20's pick up an extra 2nd rounder and take the kid from USC at RT. I am not sold on Bulaga. He got beat by a lot of the best pass rushers in the big 10 this year. Watch the his game against Michigan and Wisconsin for proof.

SPILLER & WILLIAMS in Round 1
Cox in round 2