There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trent Williams at the combine

When you consider his injuries and Oklahoma's injuries this past season you see why he might have struggled a bit at LT this season.

I think he's secured himself as a no brainer pick should he be there at 13.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by teeohh:
What about the fact that Trent signed up with Eugene Parker? Haven't we learned anything from last year's Crabtree holdout?

his agent won't matter

Really?

If we draft Trent Williams, you can be almost sure that he will hold out for some amount of time. Check out this past history of his first round clients.

Eugene Parker's Draft Client History

Trent Williams said on this interview that he ultimately makes the decision to be in camp on time and not his agent. Parker has nothing to do with Williams' future decision. If Williams does hold out, it's on him and not Parker.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
What about the fact that Trent signed up with Eugene Parker? Haven't we learned anything from last year's Crabtree holdout?

his agent won't matter

Really?

If we draft Trent Williams, you can be almost sure that he will hold out for some amount of time. Check out this past history of his first round clients.

Trent Williams said on this interview that he ultimately makes the decision to be in camp on time and not his agent. Parker has nothing to do with Williams' future decision. If Williams does hold out, it's on him and not Parker.

I would take that with a grain of salt though.

I remember Crabtree saying that there was "no doubt" that he was going to be in camp on time.

-9fA
Originally posted by tjd808185:
When you consider his injuries and Oklahoma's injuries this past season you see why he might have struggled a bit at LT this season.

I think he's secured himself as a no brainer pick should he be there at 13.

He looked real real good today.

his agent won't matter

Really?

Parker isn't the only agent that has clients holdout. You don't pass on a guy because of who his agent is, you just don't.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Originally posted by genus49:
Williams has always been a good target for us because we're looking for a RT.

He wasn't terrible at LT and could play there should the need arise but he would be a very good pick at RT with his ability to run block.

I'm still in the RT + Iupati first round thinking because if we finally fix our line everyone improves because of it. Spiller would be nice but we already have Frank Gore. I'd like to fix the OL so Gore can do his thing and allow us to run a successful offense no matter the players on it.

Chris Johnson is a hell of a back but his offensive line is very impressive.

I'll fap to that

I just wish we could obtain Sproles through FA, that would open the flood-gates to letting us comfortably fill some 'need' positions.
He's worthy of that pick but he may be gone by #13.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's worthy of that pick but he may be gone by #13.

But if Trent Williams is still there, the 49ers better get that selection card in very quickly!

He looked really good in shorts running and jumping. However,there is no hiding the tape and his performance this year on the left side. That is why I believe he will still be available when the Niners select and why he will still be the 4th and maybe 5th OT taken. He is great for the Niners but Buffalo, KC, and Oakland all need a LT.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
He looked really good in shorts running and jumping. However,there is no hiding the tape and his performance this year on the left side. That is why I believe he will still be available when the Niners select and why he will still be the 4th and maybe 5th OT taken. He is great for the Niners but Buffalo, KC, and Oakland all need a LT.

What I have read and heard mentioned his increasing comfortable feeling at LT as he played through the season. He just got better. You are right that the tape will show where he should play, but for us the man is playing RT!

I still get shivers with a Staley-Iupati-Heitmann-Rachal-Williams offensive front.

That is why we want the Rams to take Suh so Bradford drops to Wash and Clausen to Seattle. This way KC starts with picking an OT and not Wash. One slot means that much in this draft if we really want Williams. So KC would pick Okung, Sea Clausen, Cleveland Haden, Oakland Campbell, Buffalo Bulaga and SF Williams...

If the Rams take Bradford first, then damn it! Then I see Wash taking Okung and KC taking Bulaga allowing Berry and Haden to drop. Seattle would take Clausen, Cleveland Berry, Oakland Campbell, Buffalo Williams, and SF Haden., not Davis.

I never would have thought that even the first pick could make that much of an impact on who we would pick.

This will definitely be the most exciting draft in a long time...cool.

[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 28, 2010 at 00:08:22 ]
Originally posted by ninertico:

What I have read and heard mentioned his increasing comfortable feeling at LT as he played through the season. He just got better. You are right that the tape will show where he should play, but for us the man is playing RT!

I still get shivers with a Staley-Iupati-Heitmann-Rachal-Williams offensive front.

I understand that he would play RT for us. Thats why I said he would be great for us. I just dont think todays combine is going to elevate him to a top 10 OT because of his poor play on the LT. That was the point I was making.

[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 28, 2010 at 00:08:51 ]
Originally posted by ninertico:

I understand that he would play RT for us. Thats why I said he would be great for us. I just dont think todays combine is going to elevate him to a top 10 OT because of his poor play on the LT. That was the point I was making.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.

He had a mixed bag at LT this year, but finished better than he started as he became more comfortable with the position again as he played it for most of his football life.

I hear ya man, but they say the tape will show he can man the left side. That will make him more attractive to those in need of one. He just may not make it to us at #13. We need Wash, Seattle or Buffalo to take a QB so Williams has a better chance to reach us or else Buffalo will land him, IMO.

I am just glad now that Campbell is in the mix...
Hopefully he is still there for us to grab at 13 or 17.
yes to Williams!