LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 218 users in the forums

Trent Williams at the combine

So, with all eyes on Campbell, Williams is quietly having perhaps as good of a combine workout. Here are his results so far:

40-yard: 4.88 (2nd only to Campbell's 4.85)
Vertical: 34" (best for OL, including Campbells 32")
Shuttle: 4.63 (2nd only to Jared Veldheer's 4.51)
Broad Jump: (Best for OT at 9'5" and well above any other big name OT other than Saffold)

For a guy who was widely considered too slow on his feet, and exclusively an RT, he is showing some eye popping results. What's more is that he has better tape than Campbell, no weight issues or attitude problems like Davis and did it without being coached by a former NFL OL coach like Bulaga.

I don't know about you guys, but Williams definitely moved up my boards, and at this point, I wouldn't have any reservations about drafting him at 17, or perhaps even 13 if all the other OT are gone.[/b]
COULD NOT AGREE MORE

We'd have to take him @ 13 though because it is looking more and more as if Bulaga, Davis, and Okung will be long gone.

If we take Williams @ 13, would spiller last past SEA? Idk.

Either way, this draft appears to be shaping up very nicely. We're bound to draft at least one very good impact player
Originally posted by Niners23:
So, with all eyes on Campbell, Williams is quietly having perhaps as good of a combine workout. Here are his results so far:

Broad Jump: (Best for OT at 9'5" and well above any other big name OT other than Saffold)

For a guy who was widely considered too slow on his feet, and exclusively an RT, he is showing some eye popping results. What's more is that he has better tape than Campbell, no weight issues or attitude problems like Davis and did it without being coached by a former NFL OL coach like Bulaga.

I don't know about you guys, but Williams definitely moved up my boards, and at this point, I wouldn't have any reservations about drafting him at 17, or perhaps even 13 if all the other OT are gone.[/b]

You say that like there's a good chance he's there at #13. Problem is, he was pegged around #13 before the combine, and with his performance, he'll be a top 10 pick, possibly 1st OT off the boards.
Williams has always been a good target for us because we're looking for a RT.

He wasn't terrible at LT and could play there should the need arise but he would be a very good pick at RT with his ability to run block.

I'm still in the RT + Iupati first round thinking because if we finally fix our line everyone improves because of it. Spiller would be nice but we already have Frank Gore. I'd like to fix the OL so Gore can do his thing and allow us to run a successful offense no matter the players on it.

Chris Johnson is a hell of a back but his offensive line is very impressive.
Mayock: When you combine Trent Williams career at Oklahoma with how well he did at the Combine today... Williams is now challenging Russell Okung for top OT.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by Niners23:

You say that like there's a good chance he's there at #13. Problem is, he was pegged around #13 before the combine, and with his performance, he'll be a top 10 pick, possibly 1st OT off the boards.

Jesus man let's not get crazy now. He's still not a very good LT prospect which means his value pushes him down automatically. Okung is still #1 by a good margin. Anthony Davis is a great talent despite his issues. Williams and Bulaga could go either way.

Campbell had the best combine...doesnt' mean he automatically jumps everyone as tape still says a part of the story.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Mayock: When you combine Trent Williams career at Oklahoma with how well he did at the Combine today... Williams is now challenging Russell Okung for top OT.

poop
What about the fact that Trent signed up with Eugene Parker? Haven't we learned anything from last year's Crabtree holdout?
Originally posted by Psinex:
What about the fact that Trent signed up with Eugene Parker? Haven't we learned anything from last year's Crabtree holdout?

his agent won't matter
His Combine won't change anything. It shouldn't surprise scouts either. Trent was reportedly running a 4.75 last summer. The fact is that he struggled on the left side, looking clumsy at times. He appears much more comfortable on the right side.

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
His Combine won't change anything. It shouldn't surprise scouts either. Trent was reportedly running a 4.75 last summer. The fact is that he struggled on the left side, looking clumsy at times. He appears much more comfortable on the right side.

It's like Mike Iupati - he's just more effective at a certain position along the O-line.
Williams will be Gone in the top 12 :(
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by Psinex:

his agent won't matter

Really?

If we draft Trent Williams, you can be almost sure that he will hold out for some amount of time. Check out this past history of his first round clients.

Eugene Parker's Draft Client History
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by strickac:

It's like Mike Iupati - he's just more effective at a certain position along the O-line.

I actually was going to mention him as an example. Iupati looks much more natural on the left side. It's not to say these guys couldn't make the transition. It'll probably just be a slow process.
Originally posted by genus49:
Williams has always been a good target for us because we're looking for a RT.

He wasn't terrible at LT and could play there should the need arise but he would be a very good pick at RT with his ability to run block.

I'm still in the RT + Iupati first round thinking because if we finally fix our line everyone improves because of it. Spiller would be nice but we already have Frank Gore. I'd like to fix the OL so Gore can do his thing and allow us to run a successful offense no matter the players on it.

Chris Johnson is a hell of a back but his offensive line is very impressive.

I'll fap to that
Share 49ersWebzone